• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Teeth Brushing Thread****

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A thread in which to discuss all of the important issues related to brushing one's teeth (of which there are many).

Have recently made the upgrade from a standard brush to an electric one, seems to be doing the job so far. Hopefully will keep my record of never having any fillings intact for a while longer.

Anyway, on to more pressing business. Is it just me, or is it really odd when people brush their teeth before breakfast, and then go and eat straight after? From what I can see this is nonsense on at least two levels. Firstly, there is no point cleaning your teeth just to get them covered in food again a moment or two later. Surely it would be more sensible to just brush them afterwards. Secondly, if you wake up and brush your teeth before breakfast, your breakfast will just taste like toothpaste/taste generally dire. Why would you do this?

Dan

Global Moderator
A thread in which to discuss all of the important issues related to brushing one's teeth (of which there are many).

Have recently made the upgrade from a standard brush to an electric one, seems to be doing the job so far. Hopefully will keep my record of never having any fillings intact for a while longer.

Anyway, on to more pressing business. Is it just me, or is it really odd when people brush their teeth before breakfast, and then go and eat straight after? From what I can see this is nonsense on at least two levels. Firstly, there is no point cleaning your teeth just to get them covered in food again a moment or two later. Surely it would be more sensible to just brush them afterwards. Secondly, if you wake up and brush your teeth before breakfast, your breakfast will just taste like toothpaste/taste generally dire. Why would you do this?
I do, in fact, do this. Primarily as a result of my mouth feeling unclean when I wake up, making me rather self-conscious about morning breath. So I will shower, brush my teeth, consume breakfast and then brush my teeth a second time before embarking upon my day's endeavours. It is somewhat inexpedient, I do admit, but one must take their dental health seriously!

I hope this has sufficiently enlightened you.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I do, in fact, do this. Primarily as a result of my mouth feeling unclean when I wake up, making me rather self-conscious about morning breath. So I will shower, brush my teeth, consume breakfast and then brush my teeth a second time before embarking upon my day's endeavours. It is somewhat inexpedient, I do admit, but one must take their dental health seriously!

I hope this has sufficiently enlightened you.
6/10.

Post would have been improved had more been done to advance a critical perspective on how teeth brushing before breakfast results in said breakfast tasting ghastly.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
With regards to brushing before breakfast. I agree on the taste factor however I am advised by a few relatives in the dental profession that brushing after meals is not recommended as you are brushing the food into your teeth.

Also I'm similarly told that if you have an electric toothbrush it's still worth keeping a manual to use from time for time.

Good thread.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
One has to brush after waking up as the teeth were not clean for hours while asleep. You can feel the dirtyness in the mouth of you don't brush.

I use a lot of listrine mouthwash. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing..

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
One has to brush after waking up as the teeth were not clean for hours while asleep. You can feel the dirtyness in the mouth of you don't brush.

I use a lot of listrine mouthwash. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing..
Probably depends on what you are using it for.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
With regards to brushing before breakfast. I agree on the taste factor however I am advised by a few relatives in the dental profession that brushing after meals is not recommended as you are brushing the food into your teeth.

Also I'm similarly told that if you have an electric toothbrush it's still worth keeping a manual to use from time for time.

Good thread.
This is surely the most important of all the relevant factors imo. Anyone who disagrees should go and brush their teeth right now and then immediately attempt to drink a pint of orange juice. Foul.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't eat breakfast until I get to work so don't really have this issue

Dan

Global Moderator
I generally find that the brand of toothpaste I utilise does not have an overpowering taste, so does not impact upon my regular choice of breakfast especially strongly. That being said, I eat Weet Bix, so there's no flavour upon which to impact.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dan, please comment on the fact you are actually harming your teeth with your second morning brushing

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I generally find that the brand of toothpaste I utilise does not have an overpowering taste, so does not impact upon my regular choice of breakfast especially strongly. That being said, I eat Weet Bix, so there's no flavour upon which to impact.
This is one of those examples of Australians stupidly renaming products with perfectly good names isn't it?

Dan

Global Moderator
Dan, please comment on the fact you are actually harming your teeth with your second morning brushing
An intriguing theory, and a perspective I have heretofore not seen expressed. I suppose I must peruse the peer-reviewed literature before commenting further.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Also, what is the average length everyone spends brushing their teeth?

I would estimate I spend about 3-4 mins per brush on mine. One must be thorough.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Just got in bed, and then saw this thread, which reminded me to brush my teeth. May need someone to bump this each night at 10:30pm AEST.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How many times do you guys brush your teeth? Are you regular like sledger or irregular like me?