• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

Stapel

I guess stuff on Lehman goes here too?

Why I think Lehman is just a boorish prick:

"I hope the Australian public give it to him (Broad) right from the word go for the whole [Australian] summer," he said., "And I hope he cries and goes home."

Why I think Lehman is a enormous arsehole, and most certainly not one of the good guys:

I don't advocate walking, but when you hit it to first slip it's pretty hard."
When DL said so, he knew this was simply not true. For those who don't remember: Broad knicked it to the keeper, who missed it. The ball then went of the keeper's leg to slip.
It really pissed me off: taking the morale high ground, while blatantly lying. Right or wrong: I've come to think this is typical Australian.

Possibly, DL didn't know Broad did not hit it to first slip. In that case he is just an imbecile, I guess.

SeamUp

Do you really think this happened?

Please!

It was a hair-brained scheme probably hatched by Warner and quite a few went along with it including at least one bowler

Bowlers choose the ball and decide how to treat it in every team that I've been involved with unless you have a Swami gifted in ball use

Chances of a couple of fielders going rogue are about zero

Smith is protecting others and if CA is honest, most of the team will be wiped out
Yeah, I probably don't.

But it is just another perspective.

But more importantly it is said that Steve Smith is a weak captain and made exceptions for The Bull. That to me is the most disappointing thing for Smith.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I probably don't.

But it is just another perspective.

But more importantly it is said that Steve Smith is a weak captain and made exceptions for The Bull. That to me is the most disappointing thing for Smith.
Yeah, Smith definitely looks like a extremely weak captain not suited to leadership at all. But then surely you just strip him of the captaincy...?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Weird that they're banning the blokes to make a statement and attempting to reboot the team culture but retaining the coach who has overseen the culture come about in the first place.
Firing the coach on top of banning 2 players (Smith was already banned) when there's still a series on the line is probably too much at once. I expect Lehmann to do some 'serious thinking' and announce his resignation shortly after the tour ends.

Starfighter

When DL said so, he knew this was simply not true. For those who don't remember: Broad knicked it to the keeper, who missed it. The ball then went of the keeper's leg to slip.
It really pissed me off: taking the morale high ground, while blatantly lying. Right or wrong: I've come to think this is typical Australian. .
Nah, not a good example. If you watch the video closely you'll see that the majority of the deflection is definitely off the bat, and a smaller proportion off the keeper's gloves.

SeamUp

Yeah, Smith definitely looks like a extremely weak captain not suited to leadership at all. But then surely you just strip him of the captaincy...?
Definitely. I mentioned a couple of pages back that is so disappointing that he will have a 1 year ban next his name. It's a joke in fact.

Gob

Not if I make sure no one finds a corpse.

No admittedly I feel bad for Smith in he's probably going through the motions of asking how he was so stupid over the last week and probably hates his own guts right now. Hitler went through that and it didn't end well.

Get the feeling Smith or Warner might be back sooner than the ban suggests, I think it's adequate. Everyone else I've talked to in the real world thinks a life ban is in order.
Yeah but people in real world are morons

harsh.ag

so does the guy who let Bancroft and Smith do the press conference get fired because you don't have to be very clever to know they never should have done the presser
PR people get a lot of flak but this is exactly the kind of stuff you need them for.

Spark

Global Moderator
Definitely. I mentioned a couple of pages back that is so disappointing that he will have a 1 year ban next his name. It's a joke in fact.
To be honest the thing that stands out wrt Smith as "yeah actually that's quite bad" was the cover-up attempts. Being a weak captain is one thing, but that's really not good at all.

morgieb

To be honest the thing that stands out wrt Smith as "yeah actually that's quite bad" was the cover-up attempts. Being a weak captain is one thing, but that's really not good at all.
Yeah looking at the charge list if he hadn't gone nuclear in the press conference and lied to the press/umpires he probably would've been back by next summer (though not captain). Warner looking really bad, though.

Saint Kopite

cricket.com.au
‏Verified account @CricketAus

"All three players will be required to undertake 100 hours of voluntary service in community cricket"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah looking at the charge list if he hadn't gone nuclear in the press conference and lied to the press/umpires he probably would've been back by next summer (though not captain). Warner looking really bad, though.
Yeah, indeed. I think longer-term he'll be okay so long as he gets his head down and scores buckets, which to be honest was always his natural comfort zone. But it's still far from clear that Warner will play a game for Australia again.