• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

News related stuff that doesn't really deserve it's own thread

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The Turkish nationalists who seem to invade any comment section wrt Kurds is really ****ing tiresome

Spark

Global Moderator
The Turkish nationalists who seem to invade any comment section wrt Kurds is really ****ing tiresome
They've always been pretty bad but geez the last few days have been tedious with them flooding every single tweet-reply and comment thread they can find

Spark

Global Moderator
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1186996403488333824

I'm sure Google will use this new breakthrough for things which arent at all nefarious.
Any nefarious thing Google has done was probably done already at least 5 years ago by DARPA and the NSA. Almost every single known actual practical use of quantum computers is variations on "factorising massive quasi-prime numbers really quickly".

In general I still basically assume that "any really dangerous technology that's known to the public public was probably already achieved by DARPA or maaaaybe Skunk Works years ago". It's been true for like 50 years.

Howsie

Can a Kiwi out there, or anyone really explain to me why the now convicted killer of Grace Millane still has name suppression and the reason for name suppression is surpresed? Having a debate in our flat and that doesn’t make any sense, he’s not an innocent man I thought that was the whole reason behind it

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can a Kiwi out there, or anyone really explain to me why the now convicted killer of Grace Millane still has name suppression and the reason for name suppression is surpresed? Having a debate in our flat and that doesn’t make any sense, he’s not an innocent man I thought that was the whole reason behind it
I think it’s gone after sentencing which is in Feb?

Chewie

At the very least it would probably have to wait until all avenues of appeal have been completed, and even then there are circumstances that might extend it further

Spark

Global Moderator
Name suppression of this kind is typically to protect the integrity of the legal process rather than any sensitivity towards the accused/convicted, no?

Grasshopper

Greta Thunberg has been chosen as Time magazine's person of the year. Excellent choice. Anything that pisses off Jeremy Clarkson has to be good.

Gnske

No offence to the 16 year old getting flown around with press statements to do media appearances, but I think the Unabomber accomplished more for the cause.

D/L

No offence to the 16 year old getting flown around with press statements to do media appearances, but I think the Unabomber accomplished more for the cause.
I thought she covered large distances by yacht professionally crewed, sometimes, by people flown out to do the job.

That must cost a bit. "Big Eco" footing the bill, I suppose.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
so there's a Swedish woman in her early thirties who looks a bit like Greta and likes shooting machine guns (at ranges and in controlled conditions under approved gun laws etc etc) and has gone viral because the right thinks she's gonna shoot them all

what a world we live in

Last edited: