• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Search results

1. Top_Cat

Decent ends to a career

Response thread. From the Aussie perspective, first nomination is McG. Had a really good last couple years in Tests, excellent final summer in a 5-0 whitewash then had a lovely holiday in the Carribean where he was also man of the tournament snaffling a ton of poles in a WC winning team...
  2. Top_Cat

Request My Custom Title Now - pre-poll

'sup CW. Took me long enough to get to the stage of a custom title (James to confirm I'm the slowest), here's your chance to absolutely ruin it for me. This thread is for ideas, to be followed up with a poll and I will absolutely respect the will of the forum, assuming James goes for it. Go.
  3. Top_Cat

What makes a man?

Provoked by someone I know, when asked to do something by his wife, feels hen-pecked then resorts to the classic 'tell me what to do or how you want it done, NOT both'. Personally I think this is a tremendously backward way of looking at it. A man is not uncompromising, this is a infantalising...
  4. Top_Cat

No income advantage to attending a sandstone uni - report

Elite Group of Eight universities outperformed on graduate earnings, says study The report itself: https://www.melbourneinstitute.com/downloads/hilda/Bibliography/Other_Publications/2014/Cherastidtham_etal_818-mapping-background-2014.pdf So, what they're really talking about is the effect on...
  5. Top_Cat

What's a question you've always wanted to ask another forum member?

.......... self-explanatory innit. Please take this very seriously. Boy Brumby: Is there even one Queen song you like/will tolerate? GIMP: Why Flintoff? Is it because his roguishly good looks remind you of the dashing man staring back at you from the mirror or is it really his cricketing...
  6. Top_Cat

Terry Pratchett game (a tribute)

Well, I'm as utterly devastated about the death of Pratchett as anyone who was a fan of his work. The world is a little less magical without him and other assorted things others have already said. Of course, I didn't know the guy but boy do I know what he's written. So I propose a game to...
  7. Top_Cat

Boredom

Joking around with Kirki, somehow ended up in a place where we wondered whether adding the word 'bitch' to any given piece of writing would create a credible rap. I wrote a quick awk script and added it efter every third word in Dulce Et Decorum Est. The results are surprisingly hilarious...
  8. Top_Cat

Paris Charlie Hebdo shooting

Charlie Hebdo shooting: twelve dead at Paris offices of satirical magazine ? live updates | World news | The Guardian
  9. Top_Cat

****s, need your help for a research project

Developing a ensemble classifier for a machine learning project and need help from people. Basically I'll be doing a statistical labelling exercise using Conditional Random Field (CRF) models trained using the Enron email corpus to be used in a further bit of unsupervised AI/learning and need...
  10. Top_Cat

MH370 missing en route to Beijing

Malaysia Airlines lose contact with plane bound for Beijing? live | World news | theguardian.com Official statement from Malaysian Airlines. MH370 Flight Incident | Malaysia Airlines The rumour about Nanming looking less likely by the hour. The first fatal (if confirmed) in about 30 years for...
  11. Top_Cat

It's time to go, Shane Watson.

Shane Watson's diminishing returns | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy | ESPN Cricinfo A lot of what's been said about him in this article wouldn't be a problem if he was still a 22-year-old all-rounder with promise but at 32 (hb, Shane), he shouldn't have to be told how to play by anyone any...
  12. Top_Cat

The Job Tips, Advice, Comiserations and Pitfalls Thread

Prompted by the unfortunate axing of Ripper from his spot. **** situation bloke, here's hoping the situation remedies itself very soon and you find paid employment post-haste. If there's one thing the job-seeking world is full of it's 5-item lists which don't ****ing work. Whether it be in...
  13. Top_Cat

Classic matches absolutely ruined by DRS had it been around

Was watching some highlights recently and thought this would be fun. Aus vs SA, Edgbaston, 1999 WC Warne on fire, has clean-bowled Gibbs and Kirsten after a great start by the Saffers. Cronje nicks out to slip and is given but wait, he's referred it and the 'catch' is found to have gone off...
  14. Top_Cat

Cost of the war in Iraq

To the day, 10 years on from this article, costings which were disputed at the time; CNN.com - What would war with Iraq cost? - Jan. 2, 2003 Most recent estimate for Operation Iraqi Freedom; $806 billion. www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33110.pdf Doesn't, of course, include minor costs like...
  15. Top_Cat

Syria and Interventionism

Yeah so the Syrian government, having spent 40 000 lives over the past 2 years in avoiding being Gadafi'ed, has sarin bombs and appears willing to use them against their citizens; Syria Chemical Weapons Readied For Use: Sarin Loaded Into Aerial Bombs Despite International Warnings So many...
  16. Top_Cat

Anti-vaxxers

Anti-vaccination arguments are fatally flawed | Article | The Punch I'm absolutely shocked this is a thing. The number of 'conscientious objectors' in Australia has leaped from about 4000 to 30 000 in 10 years and the vaccination rate in the UK has slumped. It's incredible that a bloke like...
  17. Top_Cat

***Official*** Shameless Promo/Whoring Thread

Are you involved in something which you want to sell to people? Do you have good friends in a nascent business looking for just one chance to spruik their product so you can reap the sweet, sweet reflected glory? Then this thread is for you! My mate, Josh, has made a handy little program. The...
  18. Top_Cat

Australian flight safety

Anyone else notice a larger preponderance of flight incidents involving airliners? Aside from QANTAS' engine troubles (separate issue, but obviously off-shore maintenance is an issue worth keeping an eye on), we had the very well publicised grounding of Tiger Airways, some recent incidents...
  19. Top_Cat

QANTAS grounds its entire fleet

BREAKING NEWS: Qantas grounds entire fleet | News.com.au Qantas credibility attacked by Government Minister | Plane Talking Dick move by Joyce. Seems fairly clear his plans to take QANTAS out of the domestic market altogether are on in earnest, why bother negotiating with unions when you're...
  20. Top_Cat

Suspension of Tiger Airways flight ops

Depending on who you talk to, it's a pilot training thing or maintenance issues but it seems fairly clear it's the former. Ben Sandilands does his bit to unpick the sores that Tiger have left to fester for many months now (not that it's terribly complex). Plane Talking Be very interested to...