• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Search results

1. Penguinissimo

State of the England ODI side

As has been endlessly recited, England had a superb side for the T20 World Cup - quick-scoring openers who (as a pair) could deal with spin as well as pace; classy middle order; series of hard-hitting all-rounders; niggly, intelligent, adaptable bowling attack. But would that translate to...
  2. Penguinissimo

Geraint Jones - the forgotten man

Although Matt Prior's development with the gloves has slightly stifled the Great English Wicketkeeping Debate, lists are still regularly compiled of possible alternative keepers in various forms of the game. Steven Davies, James Foster, Craig Kieswetter, Tim Ambrose, Chris Read and Nic Pothas...
  3. Penguinissimo

Final England squad

Just announced: Paul Collingwood (capt), James Anderson, Ravi Bopara, Stuart Broad, Andrew Flintoff, James Foster, Robert Key, Dimitri Mascarenhas, Eoin Morgan, Graham Napier, Kevin Pietersen, Owais Shah, Ryan Sidebottom, Graeme Swann, Luke Wright Guaranteed inclusions: Colly, Anderson...
  4. Penguinissimo

English Country "Franchises" - pick your teams

Imagine the County Championship were condensed (as it undoubtedly should be but never will be) into 6 regional teams. The teams can be drawn as follows: London - Surrey, Middlesex, Essex Home Counties - Hants, Kent, Sussex West / Wales - Gloucs, Glamorgan, Somerset South Midlands - Worcs...
  5. Penguinissimo

Telegraph Fantasy Cricket

Anyone else playing? How to Play (Apologies if there is a thread on this elsewhere - I couldn't find one).
  6. Penguinissimo

Rob Key - stick to pie-eating

Rob Key tends to enrage me whenever he appears in the media. He comes across as smug, arrogant, far too sold on his own abilities and as having a massive chip on his shoulder. But I thought today's intervention took the biscuit, where he put himself forward for the England captaincy in the...
  7. Penguinissimo

Pick overseas players for your Test team

Imagine each Test team could sign two overseas players (who must be current players, ie not retired) as per county cricket. 1. Who would they be for each country (feel free to only answer for teams which you have a sufficient knowledge of)? 2. Who would they be if you couldn't pick Murali? 3...
  8. Penguinissimo

Pick an England XI 1995-2008

It oftens seems the great shame of the world that some of the wonderful players England had during the dark days of the 90s never got to play in a proper side and fulfil their potential. That occurred to me again today as I thought through the current England line-up and reflected on the lack...
  9. Penguinissimo

The Future of English Cricket (God help us...)

Assume that the Lions are effectively the reserve squad for the England team - now rate the chances of the various squad members playing Test cricket and (separately) ODI cricket in the next year in the absence of injuries. And try not to get too depressed......... Robert Key - is about the...
  10. Penguinissimo

Terry Jenner on developing spinners

I thought this was a fascinating extract from an interview on a subject that's pretty relevant at the moment: Why is there a problem with developing Australian spinners? "Every guy in a state squad wants to play all the forms of cricket but for a spinner, it takes a significant amount...
  11. Penguinissimo

7 months away from the Ashes...

And both sides are in a state of flux with lots of spots in each team up from grabs. Interestingly, I reckon (and I'm going to be pilloried for saying it) that the names that appear approximately cancel each other out, and so it may well be that the performance of the four or so "uncertains"...
  12. Penguinissimo

A Different View on Monty Panesar

Monty Panesar has been the subject of countless articles in the last few days. No sentient being who has ever watched an England cricket match could possibly fail to have heard the conclusions that Monty has no variations, his bowling isn't improving (if Shane Warne had royalty rights over his...