• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Search results

1. Line and Length

DDD - Voting

Below you will find the complete line-up of 11 teams together with some summaries and stats. As these were optional, it is hoped that the XIs all speak for themselves. All the line-ups certainly look impresseive. As usual, particpants are invited to allocate votes from 11 down to 2 (excluding...
  2. Line and Length

100 years of Ashes + Draft with Cap on games

100 Years, 250 Games Salary Cap Ashes + Draft This is perhaps one of the more complex drafts and, as such, is restricted to 8 players – 4 will choose to base their side on England players and the other 4 their side on Australian players. Basically, contestants nominate to have their side...
  3. Line and Length

Imran v Hadlee v Miller

I'm taking it as a given that the two ATG all-rounders are Sobers and Kallis, but who would you rank next? The general feeling I get that it is either Imran Khan or Richard Hadlee but I have a soft spot for Keith Miller. Imran, in 88 Tests scored 3807 runs @ 37.7 including 6 centuries. He took...
  4. Line and Length

Classic Creative Clips

What better way to open this sub-forum than with a classic creative clip from the 80s. The advent of MTV saw quality promotional clips being produced. This was one of the better ones!
  5. Line and Length

DDD - Draft by Debut Decade

Following the relative success of my first venture into conducting a draft, I have decided to organise another one. There should be less controversy than my Restricted Draft as the rules are straight forward and don't involve syllables or surname debates. Participants select players who made...
  6. Line and Length

Where's zorax?

It's been over a week since he who gives heaps of "likes" has posted. I know he was concerned with the situation in Hong Kong. I hope he is OK.
  7. Line and Length

Restricted Draft - Voting

Below you will find the final 9 teams as selected by our resident 'experts'. The teams are given together with their Test averages and, in some cases, the selectors' comments. Participants are asked to allocate 9 points for the team you consider the best through to 2 points for the least...
  8. Line and Length

Clever Nicknames

Nicknames occur in all areas of society but, perhaps, none more so than in sport. Too many are too simple to merit a mention eg Smithy, Richo etc. However some are quite clever. I came across one today. North Melbourne's AFL player Nick Larkey is called "Souva". When I was playing cricket, a...
  9. Line and Length

A Restricted Draft

The number of participants is restricted to 12 (first come basis). Players whose surnames comprise 2 syllables may NOT be drafted (no Bradman, Hutton and a whole lot more). As some Pakistan players have their ‘surname’ listed first. You must check if they are ineligible under the “no 2...
  10. Line and Length

Burning Questions

The CW interviews have been among the more interesting and enlightening threads in OT. Full credit to the interrogators and the respondents. I thought I might start a new thread with some "burning questions" that each and every member is free to answer. Some are serious (sort of) but most are...
  11. Line and Length

Sledging - Does it Work

Sledging has been around for far longer than the term has been in use. It is used as a verbal distraction to break a players concentration. These "sledges" have varied from the clever to the downright crude - but we won't go into that. Obviously some players are more susceptible to verbal...
  12. Line and Length

Which Agar will be better known in 10 years time?

26 year old Ashton Agar has already played 4 Tests and 13 ODIs and appears to be on the selectors radar for further international appearances. His 23 year old brother Wes has played just 5 first class matches but taken 23 wickets at a respectable 21.34 Which of these 2 brothers will, in a...
  13. Line and Length

The Weight - 50th Anniversary

Robbie Robertson of The Band penned this song 50 years ago. As a film soundtrack producer and composer, Robertson is known for his collaborations with director Martin Scorsese, which began with the rockumentary film The Last Waltz (1978), and continued through a number of dramatic films...
  14. Line and Length

Usman Khawaja - Should he have a contract?

Many, including former captain Michael Clarke has been left staggered by Usman Khawaja’s snubbing from Cricket Australia’s 20-man central contract list. There have been suggestions, after scenes in "The Test" were revealed, that a couple of his clashes with Justin Langer might have been a...
  15. Line and Length

Are Flem and Trundler Anglophobic?

For those followers of the CC section of this site we have seen some outlandish statements coming from this pair. I concede that it is probably (I hope) said in jest but it all smacks of an Anglophobic attitude which is tantamount to racism. Am I reading too much into their behaviour? Has the...
  16. Line and Length

An International Test XI

How would you go about selecting a current International XI to play the longer format of the game if you were restricted to just one player from each Test playing nation? A number of dilemmas occur. For instance should the Australian representative be Steve Smith or Pat Cummings or the New...
  17. Line and Length

Lexophiles

Lexophiles love words and, in particular, a play on words. Here are a couple of examples: "You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish" "To write with a broken pencil is pointless." Give it your best shot!
  18. Line and Length

Economical Bowlers

Sometimes a bowler is used for reasons such as tying up an end rather than as a wicket taking option. This is particularly applicable to the traditional, longer form, of cricket. In Test cricket the Top Ten bowlers in terms of economy (minimum 10 Tests) are: William Attewell (E) 1.31 Trevor...
  19. Line and Length

CW Cooking Champs

If CW Members appeared on Master Chef (or any other "reality" cooking show) who would win and who would be the first eliminated? Before we start a poll I'll invite members to submit their signature dish (recipe optional).
  20. Line and Length

emails

My email inbox is becoming constantly filled with notifications re posts on threads I have contributed to. As I post on a wide range of topics this number seems to increase each day. Last week I went into my controls and removed the "tick" in the box allowing emails but still they come. The good...