• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

‘Sophia’ - the World’s First Robot to be Granted Citizenship Status

watson

Banned
Saudi Arabia's Newest Citizen Is a Robot

Sophia, an intelligent humanoid robot, has been granted citizenship in Saudi Arabia. It’s the first country in the world to give a bot the same status reserved for humans.
Sophia was awarded the citizenship while on stage at the Future Investment Initiative in Riyadh.

“I am very honored and proud for this unique distinction,” Sophia told the audience during her presentation, which was moderated by CNBC Squawk Box co-anchor and New York Times columnist Andrew Ross Sorkin. “This is historical to be the first robot in the world to be recognized with a citizenship.”

The robot was created by David Hanson, the founder of Hong Kong-based Hanson Robotics, who is known for creating robots that look and act like humans. Sophia was created to look like Audrey Hepburn.

Saudi Arabia Grants a Robot Citizenship

At first I thought this obvious media stunt was pretty stupid. But then I had a ‘Westworld Moment’ and thought that AI might be conscious in 50 years, so we may as well start granting status and rights to AI ‘rights’ right now. Can’t hurt.

‘She’ looks nothing like Audrey Hepburn btw.

Ausage

I don't buy the "robots will develop consciousness" argument. Not a fan of giving them human rights either.

Fun premise for sci fi films/books ofc.

StephenZA

We have enough problems giving 'human' rights to other people.... can't see the robots being allowed for long, but at least there will be another group for people to be upset about!

Ironic it is Saudi Arabia.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't buy the "robots will develop consciousness" argument. Not a fan of giving them human rights either.

Fun premise for sci fi films/books ofc.
I actually think it won't be long until they do, but it won't look the same as human consciousness. Machine learning is proceeding that quickly already.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I actually think it won't be long until they do, but it won't look the same as human consciousness. Machine learning is proceeding that quickly already.
This. If a human style consciousness develops it’ll be because someone tried very hard for that to happen

watson

Banned
So long as she doesn’t move to Hurstville
A robot can be programmed to speak Mandarin/Cantonese fluently so they are less likely to be considered an ‘outsider’ to the dominant ‘in-group.’ So no problem really.

(You started it Burgey :))

The serious point being that AI of itself does not to have social or cultural barriers at all.

Last edited:

Ausage

I think it's very likely (possibly inevitable) that we'll develop something that's indistinguishable from human consciousness (which will bring it's own set of problems). I just don't think it will be what I experience and I what I can assume with a very high degree of certainty you all experience too. I don't think it should be described in similar terms to human consciousness either.

Spark

Global Moderator
Consciousness is not the right thing to worry about anyway. Sentience is what matters.

Ausage

Consciousness is not the right thing to worry about anyway. Sentience is what matters.
I assume by sentience you mean "The ability to act in its own interests"?

I think the issues with "conciousness" will stem from us being unable to distinguish an inanimate object from a human being, leading to all sorts of problems with morally relativistic judgements that don't favour humanity.

Spark

Global Moderator
I assume by sentience you mean "The ability to act in its own interests"?

I think the issues with "conciousness" will stem from us being unable to distinguish an inanimate object from a human being, leading to all sorts of problems with morally relativistic judgements that don't favour humanity.
Ability to make independent decisions, ability to reason and learn, reaction to stimuli etc etc

StephenZA

I think the issues with "conciousness" will stem from us being unable to distinguish an inanimate object from a human being.
I already know many humans who I cant distinguish from inanimate objects... at least in thought.

AI that can behave sentient can only be an improvement for sentience on this planet, as long as we can avoid them behaving to 'human' like... we know that generally leads to trouble.

Ausage

I already know many humans who I cant distinguish from inanimate objects... at least in thought.
As do I. The problem will be unimaginably worse when they're visually and behaviorally indistinguishable from humans.

StephenZA;3937016[B said:
]AI that can behave sentient can only be an improvement for sentience on this planet[/B], as long as we can avoid them behaving to 'human' like... we know that generally leads to trouble.
I couldn't possibly agree less with this. I find it an nihilistic and frankly terrifying line of thinking if I'm being honest.

OverratedSanity

It's going to be like the Geth from Mass Effect imo. A networked intelligence which doesn't believe in individuality. At the end of the day humans will be debating whether or not AIs have true consciousness, while the Geth AI won't really give a **** and will just want to be left alone.

vogue

We have enough problems giving 'human' rights to other people.... can't see the robots being allowed for long, but at least there will be another group for people to be upset about!

Ironic it is Saudi Arabia.
Ironic too it’s female..

Spark

Global Moderator
It's going to be like the Geth from Mass Effect imo. A networked intelligence which doesn't believe in individuality. At the end of the day humans will be debating whether or not AIs have true consciousness, while the Geth AI won't really give a **** and will just want to be left alone.
Haha I was thinking exactly this too