• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Match - New Zealand v Sri Lanka

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 1st Match of the World Cup between New Zealand and Sri Lanka.

_Ed_

Weather outlook is good. :)

Such a huge event for Christchurch. Wish I could be down there.

Burgey

Yeah, really hoping this all goes well. Be a great boost for Christchurch if it turns out a good day with a big crowd in and a home win.

Bahnz

Still fascinated to see which 3 seamers get picked for the first game. My current suspicion is that NZ will go with the following XI:

McCullum, Guptill, KW, Taylor, Elliot, Anderson, Ronchi, Vettori, Milne, Southee, Boult

Bahnz

Milne/McClenaghan is the big question in my mind.
Yeah, Milne bowled really well with the new ball in the first ODI v SRL at Hagley, but Mitch picked up a bucket of his usual troll wickets to restrict SRL to a gettable total, so it's a fiendishly difficult question to answer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think the South African top 5 are going to be really wowed by Milne's extra pace. If there is swing he'll obviously be a big threat though.

I think McClenaghan is the better choice against Sri Lanka but if the skies are grey go Milne.

Zinzan

Just hope my fear of Malinga coming out of nowhere and doing a job on us (as he has so often in the past) doesn't transpire.

Jimbo the giant

Just hope my fear of Malinga coming out of nowhere and doing a job on us (as he has so often in the past) doesn't transpire.
You keep on bringing this up but the bloke has only taken 2 4 wicket bags against us, which for a fast bowler is hardly awesome. 1 of those bags we rolled them worse than what he did to us so they still lost.

Herath and Senanayake (dilshan even) are the keys. We have always struggled more with their spinners than with him. Plus he looks like Ranatunga now and will be lucky to bowl 10 overs

jonbrooks

Oh boy, I'm so nervous about this. We got beat by SL in the last ODI so they'd be feeling pretty confident. It's going to be a good game.

Zinzan

You keep on bringing this up but the bloke has only taken 2 4 wicket bags against us, which for a fast bowler is hardly awesome. 1 of those bags we rolled them worse than what he did to us so they still lost.

Herath and Senanayake (dilshan even) are the keys. We have always struggled more with their spinners than with him. Plus he looks like Ranatunga now and will be lucky to bowl 10 overs
Even forgetting his big bags, his 1-25 off 9 in the '07 semi when we were chasing 290 for victory is still fresh in my memory. Got Fleming LBW early & after that we struggled to hit him off the square.

Obviously I'm hoping I'm wrong & everyone else is right in that he's over the hill now & unlikely to be much of a threat.

Bahnz

Even forgetting his big bags, his 1-25 off 9 in the '07 semi when we were chasing 290 for victory is still fresh in my memory. Got Fleming LBW early & after that we struggled to hit him off the square.

Obviously I'm hoping I'm wrong & everyone else is right in that he's over the hill now & unlikely to be much of a threat.
Obviously he's a very different bowler from the 2007 edition. Back then his effort ball came through in the 146-150 range. He hasn't bowled that quick since his major injury problems that he went through a few years back, and he generally hasn't looked that big a threat in recent times (since the mid-year tour of England). Still, I generally share your concern.

hendrix

It's just that change in quality changes the quality of the whole attack IMO. One less easy scoring option, one more wicket taking threat. It makes quite a difference.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Here you go lads, take it to the pub, share it with your friends. Get smashed while we smash 'em and go the blackcaps!

Flem274*

123/5
:laugh:

Should be squares for the commentators speed radar watching Milne, talking about Mitch M's "pace", and bemoaning the lack of yorkers or bouncers.