• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

stephen

The problem that England's have is that they only have two batsmen who have games that are suited to tests. All of their other batsmen are either bad (Burns, Denly) or are tuned to one day batting (Roy, Bairstow, Buttler).

Given the number of tests England play their better ODI batsmen are going to have to figure out how to adjust to tests. Soft hands, playing later and more under their eyes. Roy I feel well end up like Finch - pigeon holed as an opener but who could probably actually perform in the middle order.

Drop Moeen for Leach and Anderson for Archer. No point bringing in Vince or someone equally as mediocre.

ScottyMuser

I think his performances in tests are evidence aplenty, but there you go. Foakes would probably make more runs than Bairstow, but as I said previously I'd bring in Sam Curran and hand the gloves to Buttler.
But Butler is no better as a keeper than YJB, and an equally middling bat (YJB averages 1 higher in test matches, and 12 higher in first class cricket). Foakes is a much, much, much better keeper than either of the other 2, and is a better bat than Buttler to boot in first class cricket.

TheJediBrah

But we're ****ed here.......the Aussies are taking the Ashes home.
You mean keeping them at home

Openers to stop, Ali to be replaced by Leach, and maybe Denley to be replaced by Vince. Bairstow and Butler stop in at the moment , partly because it would look like panic stations to change more. Aussie bowling looks very strong ( Starc definitely returns ) ,and with Englands poor record at Lords , Aussies go 2-0 up.
Vince looked ok in the last Ashes. I haven't followed him closely and he looked pretty crap in the WC but from what I've saw of him in Tests he should be a lot better than Denly. Or Buttler and Bairstow for that matter. Or Roy.

Bahnz

Be interesting if they dish up green tops. They may well roll Australia cheap on them, but they just got dicked fro 80 by Ireland on one two weeks ago
Yeah, but Australia don't have a bowler of the class of Tim Murtagh :p

social

England’s batting is in the same position as ours was before Smith morphed into a robot

They collapse a lot because there’s nobody to bat around

Take a look at Travis Head

His technique is no better than some Englishmen but you could see the confidence he got from having Smith at the other end

Root is a very fine player but good 50s simply don’t cut it

Batting him at 3 is a mistake

Put him where he’s most comfortable and the onus is then on him to make starts count

Burgey

Mate do we actually have to have a paid subscription to the Australian to read that
I don't think so. I don't have one because it's Murdoch filth. It was attached to a tweet, and opened straight away fro me when I clicked on it (which tbf is unusual for articles in the Liberal Party Gazette).

mr_mister

I don't think so. I don't have one because it's Murdoch filth. It was attached to a tweet, and opened straight away fro me when I clicked on it (which tbf is unusual for articles in the Liberal Party Gazette).
Weird, I can't get it open from your link. Could you copy paste it here? I enjoy both Gideon and Lalors views generally

Son Of Coco

Wow, I didn't see this result coming when I went to bed at 8-122 on Day 1. Great to see Lyon do what he is expected to do on a last day pitch which is turning and clean up. He bowled beautifully. The English were obviously crocked by a couple of injuries, which was....enjoyable to watch. What deck to dish up at Lords? Those who believe in fair play would say whatever the conditions provide, but of course that won't happen. England's problem is they can't rely on any sort of wicket to give them an advantage. The lottery of a green-top would probably be their best bet,

TheJediBrah

Wow, I didn't see this result coming when I went to bed at 8-122 on Day 1. Great to see Lyon do what he is expected to do on a last day pitch which is turning and clean up. He bowled beautifully. The English were obviously crocked by a couple of injuries, which was....enjoyable to watch. What deck to dish up at Lords? Those who believe in fair play would say whatever the conditions provide, but of course that won't happen. England's problem is they can't rely on any sort of wicket to give them an advantage. The lottery of a green-top would probably be their best bet,
I don't know, England have generally been ok when it comes to that sort of thing. They're definitely not as bad as some.

vcs

Would still expect England to bounce back given their recent history at home. They drop Tests on a fairly regular basis but are hard to beat over the course of a series.

jcas0167

Those two Smith tons have to be up there with any of the other great performances in cricket history. I dont think there's ever been a pair of tons that influential to a result.
Glenn Turner's twin tons in NZ's first ever test victory over Australia must be up there. Crazy scorecard. Next best score in the first innings was 24 and 48* in the second. Turner was unbeaten on 110 when NZ got the win with 5 wickets down.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...nd-test-australia-tour-of-new-zealand-1973-74

Last edited:

mr_mister

Starfighter

Damn... we used Dougie Walters and Greg Chappell as first and second change bowlers. Overconfidence or were we just short on options
I'm guessing overconfidence was a part. Lillee had done his back in by then and Thomson was out of form and favour and about to leave NSW, but Hurst, Hammond and Dell apparently weren't considered and Gilmour did not play until the third test, where he took a five-for.