• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

1st Test, Edgbaston, Birmingham

Burgey

Would still expect England to bounce back given their recent history at home. They drop Tests on a fairly regular basis but are hard to beat over the course of a series.
It’s going to be 4-0. Their batting is even worse than ours, and ours is pish.

They’ve lost Anderson and have Archer in the wings whose potential is great but who is an unknown quantity. Australia has Starc and Haze on the bench, cherry ripe and no doubt pissed off. England is looking at replacing Ali with Leach, who may well be a step up, but still. Australia has Lyon. Broad is terrific but the difference to last series’ is if england rolled Australia cheap someone from England would pile on runs in reply and end the game as a contest. Seriously, who will do that this time?

Root’s average since becoming skipper is in the 30s. Australia has Smith.

Both top orders are in questionable nick but Australia’s has Warner and Khawaja who have at least made test runs and aren’t neophytes in the format. Warner will have some say in this series for certain. England is hoping Roy will blast a couple of 50s. Australia knows Warner will go beserk at some point.

England’s middle-lower order is its strength but it’s thinking is awfully muddled atm. Buttler and Bairstow look horrendous. All worse. Australia has Head who is limited but in a good place. Likewise Wade who has busted the door down to get picked. Both now have runs behind them and have the clarity of thought which comes from knowing your place is secure.

This one’s done. England drew/ won the WC and fair play to them, it was their focus. But their test side is going backwards fast. And I don’t see any available personnel changes making it any better. Gone. 4-0, with the draw being factored in because of weather. Otherwise it’ll be a whitewash.

Adders

Wow, I didn't see this result coming when I went to bed at 8-122 on Day 1. Great to see Lyon do what he is expected to do on a last day pitch which is turning and clean up. He bowled beautifully. The English were obviously crocked by a couple of injuries, which was....enjoyable to watch. What deck to dish up at Lords? Those who believe in fair play would say whatever the conditions provide, but of course that won't happen. England's problem is they can't rely on any sort of wicket to give them an advantage. The lottery of a green-top would probably be their best bet,
You really are so dire.

Adders

Talking about his enjoyment from Eng injuries and then the next breath fair play over the Lord's wicket? **** right off........shocking poster, makes you look like Benaud mate.

Groundking

You mean keeping them at home

Vince looked ok in the last Ashes. I haven't followed him closely and he looked pretty crap in the WC but from what I've saw of him in Tests he should be a lot better than Denly. Or Buttler and Bairstow for that matter. Or Roy.
Vince always looks good for 20 or 30 runs until he plays a big booming drive miles away from his body and snicks on to the slips.

morgieb

Am I the only one who liked Malan? He looked less terrible than some of the guys in the team right now.
Malan looked good in Australia, but I don't think his technique was up to scratch in English conditions. I don't think he would be doing any better than the guys right now and IIRC he isn't even scoring runs at county level.

harsh.ag

01. Burns
02. Leach
03. Woakes
04. Root
05. Roy
06. Stokes
07. Buttler
08. Bairstow
09. Curran
10. Broad
11. Anderson/Archer

Ideally Foakes in for Bairstow/One-of-the-quicks

TheJediBrah

01. Burns
02. Leach
03. Woakes
04. Root
05. Roy
06. Stokes
07. Buttler
08. Bairstow
09. Curran
10. Broad
11. Anderson/Archer

I would love to see that. Would have great novelty value and actually makes more than a bit of sense.

Groundking

Malan looked good in Australia, but I don't think his technique was up to scratch in English conditions. I don't think he would be doing any better than the guys right now and IIRC he isn't even scoring runs at county level.
Malan averaged 20.23 at home in 13 innings. Another rubbish player.

01. Burns
02. Leach
03. Woakes
04. Root
05. Roy
06. Stokes
07. Buttler
08. Bairstow
09. Curran
10. Broad
11. Anderson/Archer

Have Foakes in for Bairstow and I'm a fan of this, shame the selectors will never do it. Slightly more realistic, but this would be my team for the next test.

Burns
Sibley
Root
Roy
Buttler (c)
Stokes
Foakes (wk)
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Leach

Pup Clarke

Definitely want to see Curran in the XI. He's got great skills, and I think his mindset is better than some of the guys who played at Edgbaston.

Hicheal Michael

I thought Burns looked better than most are giving him credit for. He read length against Lyon pretty well, the plays and misses statistics is a bit meh imo.

Starfighter

Definitely want to see Curran in the XI. He's got great skills, and I think his mindset is better than some of the guys who played at Edgbaston.
Would you want to see him in over Archer though? Because while I think he'll more annoying to Australia with the bat I think Archer is much more likely to be able to wreck the Australian batting.

Pup Clarke

Maybe, it's tough. Curran as part of 5 quicks he'd be fine I think. Wouldn't necessarily need to take plenty of poles, but could act as a partnership breaker

the big bambino

If Curran plays he's in for a batsman and then you get some of the funky batting orders some posters have suggested. Because even if he plays Archer is a certainty imo. Australia have the break on England but Archer is the X factor player in this series. He's been impressive every time I've seen him and is the English player I fear the most.