• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds

Daemon

Like it's literally pitched in line and is hitting middle half way up, with the bloke's bat in the air near his head. It's actually ****ing hilarious when you look at it now, especially Ponting's reaction, just scratching his head going WTAF.
bowden missed the bit where it was straightening in the air. probably wasn't really paying attention and thought it was headed down leg with the angle.

understandable given he had been up all night with the difficult task of ironing and starching his 5 sets of white shirts and black pants in preparation for the test.

mr_mister

The Simon Jones lbw in the same match is literally the most plumb lbw ever not to be given. I defy anyone to watch this and genuinely tell me Bowden deserved to ever stand in another match, or even arguably to live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZXhz18k1s

This is the same **** who was firing Martyn from prolific inside edges all series.

Just love Ponting having a word with him and scratching his head in utter bewilderment. Such a moment.

Had no idea the same old aussies always cheating chant was around in '05. Thought it was a post sandpaper gate creation

Burgey

bowden missed the bit where it was straightening in the air. probably wasn't really paying attention and thought it was headed down leg with the angle.

understandable given he had been up all night with the difficult task of ironing and starching his 5 sets of white shirts and black pants in preparation for the test
Very good from Daemon here

quincywagstaff

I think there’s quite a long history of umpires being reluctant to give “game deciding” LBWs. (balancing off to some extent the long history off umpires sawing off no10/11 batsmen when the game is not apparently at stake!). When you don’t want to give something you can always find “doubt”.

Another example I can think of (pre Hawkeye) is Fraser surviving against Donald in the third test in 1998. Then again there was Headingley in the final test of the same series...
A plumb LBW against Craig McDermott off Danny Morrison in the 1987/88 Boxing Day Test another example.

quincywagstaff

That Lyon missed runout a virtual carbon copy of this missed run out by Saqlain Mushtaq in the Windies/Pakistan 2000 Test series which ultimately decided the series

OverratedSanity

That Lyon missed runout a virtual carbon copy of this missed run out by Saqlain Mushtaq in the Windies/Pakistan 2000 Test series which ultimately decided the series

Haha that game had some horrific umpiring too, like Sydney levels of incompetence. Doctrove was woeful. Wasim was bowling beautifully and had adams out twice but it wasn't given.

morgieb

The Jones one I can see someone getting confused by it real time and thinking it was heading down because of the odd way Jones fell on his backside. The Martyn lbw was far worse, he smashed it.
The most WTF one was Katich. At least I can see why a bad umpire would be confused by whether he hit it or not. That was a pitching a mile outside leg and he still was given out. Given how close the game was it was a potential gamechanger.

Burgey

The main difference being you can't be sure whether Saqlain dropping his one was an accident or not.

Bijed

The Simon Jones lbw in the same match is literally the most plumb lbw ever not to be given. I defy anyone to watch this and genuinely tell me Bowden deserved to ever stand in another match, or even arguably to live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwZXhz18k1s

This is the same **** who was firing Martyn from prolific inside edges all series.

Just love Ponting having a word with him and scratching his head in utter bewilderment. Such a moment.

I know it's hardly the main thrust of your post, but I thought Martyn's inside-edge LBWs were given by Bucknor at Old Trafford and Dar at Trent Bridge?

Flem274*

123/5
this trip down memory lane makes me wonder why we didn't have player reviews as soon as hawkeye and snicko became a thing. i can't believe we used to just put up with some of this **** lol.

even now with drs some crazy stuff still sneaks through thanks to goat umpires like dharmasena and wilson

Lillian Thomson

If it were possible to go back and closely analyse dismissals through the ages - certainly from the 70's onwards and there's no reason to believe it was better before - you would often struggle to find an innings where 10 legitimate wickets fell or things that should have been out weren't given. The complexities of the LBW law make it a very tough thing to judge. When the ball is turning with men around the bat detecting a thin edge onto the pads is often impossible. A lot of umpires would admit that they often go on instinct or almost everything would be not out. Mr Wilson doesn't give the impression that he has any instinct. But if you take the Bairstow DRS reversal for caught behind, that was a run of the mill dismissal years ago and it was just accepted as part of the game. That's not to say that touring teams in India and Australia didn't cry cheat a few times.

Lillian Thomson

It's a very difficult job and some are better than others. There was a time when they were supposed to judge run outs when the batsman had a runner doing his running for him 50ft away.

Daemon

I think the problem stems from something zorax is very passionate about - the administrative side of an umpire’s job

The way umpires are promoted at lower levels depends on so many factors other than decision making that you end up with some who’re great at everything else but average at the main task at hand. This is especially true at the associate level where those other tasks can even extend to coaching, team management, etc. The more visibility you have with those in charge, the better your chances.

vcs

Why would umpires be involved in coaching/team management? I thought "administrative tasks" was mainly a euphemism for paperwork, booking Ubers to the ground, flicking the bails off convincingly at the end of every session etc.

zorax

likes this
Decision making as an umpire isn't limited to LBWs and caught behinds.

Administrative tasks can influence a player's career just as much - a lot of it has to do with code of conduct violations.

Match management is an aspect of umpiring that is never discussed on broadcast and wildly underrated by fans who have little to no experience with it - it's the difference between a side copping a bad decision and moving on, Vs them pulling their side off the field all together.

It's also vitally important to follow procedures and protocol to the letter - any wavering or inconsistency can be misinterpreted as bias towards a side, which is obviously a massive issue. Good umpires follow the book perfectly, but also have to know when to read between the lines and apply common sense. It's a very fine line to walk.

And ultimately it is the match officials team that gets held accountable if a game overruns the schedule or ends in disrepute. Yes the players get penalised, but the match officials team takes a hammering for not handling the game better. I've heard of these stories from umpires who have been in these situations first hand at Associate level.

Again, just speak to any professional umpire and they'll tell you - giving LBWs and close catches are a small part of what makes a good umpire. It just so happens that that is all people see on TV.