• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Quarter Final - New Zealand v West Indies (21st March)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
Discussion surrounding the 4th Quarter Final of the World Cup between New Zealand and West Indies (Westpac Stadium, Wellington).

Beamer

Well we've made it to the quarters and I'm not sure how as we've been pretty awful for most of it. Relying on outstanding bowling from Jerome Taylor and one or two batsmen to get us through.

I suppose if we play like we did against Pakistan we could beat anyone comfortably but if we play like we did in pretty much every other match and NZ continue their impressive level of consistency I can only really see one winner.

Once the new ball attack is done we have no guile at all and Kemar Roach is woefully unfit and out of rythm again. If Mcullum hits JT and Holder about it could get really messy as the middle over bowlers are poor and Holder doesn't know what to do with himself during that time as we have seen with numerous large scores against us over the last few months.. Take wickets early on and we could be in business though.

I reckon 80% chance of New Zealand win, 20 % chance Windies turn up meaning business and cause an upset.

Contra

Some opposition team player needs to have a go at the Windies before the match, someone like Faulkner who just says I don't like Windies/they're crap or something. I swear they play most of their cricket in such a robotic fashion, no reaction to anything, which is so odd considering WI are capable of being such a vibrant unit. I know they have a lot of issues with the board and stuff but somehow if they can lift their intensity (especially their bats) and really apply themselves it'd be nice.

Daemon

Some opposition team player needs to have a go at the Windies before the match, someone like Faulkner who just says I don't like Windies/they're crap or something. I swear they play most of their cricket in such a robotic fashion, no reaction to anything, which is so odd considering WI are capable of being such a vibrant unit. I know they have a lot of issues with the board and stuff but somehow if they can lift their intensity (especially their bats) and really apply themselves it'd be nice.
Windies to be squashed
yes that's the idea, but it has to come from someone important GotSpin

jonbrooks

There are many good players in the WI side. We all know Gayle and I really like the looks of Holder. It's good to see a tall pace bowler playing for WI again.

straw man

While it's always possible WI could get up for this, I think they will find it hard to face what will be a cauldron in Wellington on Friday. I hope what Martin Crowe wrote, that these NZ players are great at just living in the moment and playing without fear is true. They certainly looked a little fearful of embarrassment against Bangaldesh the other day, however to be slightly rude to Bangladesh, that's a different feeling to being in a contest against another top-8 side which is always expected to be competitive.

_Ed_

Yeah, I do take some confidence from the fact it's at the Cake Tin. We've played pretty well there over the last few years.

Bahnz

New Zealand has better batting, bowling and fielding and we're playing at probably our favourite ground in terms of positive results in the last decade. We should win comfortably. My only worry remains our top-order batting - but hopefully now that Kane has got a failure out of his system he'll be good to go on Saturday.

It'll be interesting to see what McCullum does if he wins the toss.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Going for the Kiwis on this one. I am loving watching them play, would be a shame if they get knocked out by a mediocre team.

Moss

Going for the Kiwis on this one. I am loving watching them play, would be a shame if they get knocked out by a mediocre team.
Yeah, this. On current form NZ have probably played the most eye-catching cricket, while the Windies barely deserve to be in the quarters IMO. But it would be so like the Windies to be suddenly switched on for this game! Their pacemen are starting to find some real form too.

The key for NZ is to cut out the carelessness, and they should be fine.