• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wednesday 4th September

England to win by an innings obv

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wonder if the fact we won will influence team selection.

Roy absolutely must not open the batting but if they wanted to keep the side intact I'd be okay with him and Denly swapping places. Not sure it would change much mind

Lillian Thomson

Bairstow to open. Roy at 4. Denly 5. Buttler with the gloves at 7. Not a serious suggestion, but couldn’t do any worse.

Lots of talk of momentum, but that doesn’t regularly make up for lack of cricket skills.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If Jimmeh is deemed fit does he come back? Almost certainly, I guess.

Probably replaces Woakes? Root seems less than entirely trusting of his bowling so far this series. Lengthens the tail quite considerably if he is the man to make way.

Howe_zat

Woakes hasn't bailed us out with the bat like one would have hoped at any stage so lengthening the tail doesn't feel all that costly, though it does give Archer and Broad nosebleeds. England should have enough runs if two or more in the top seven stand up, if not, they'll all fall in a heap regardless.

Tragic because Woakes is twice the cricketer most England batsmen are, but them's the breaks.

fredfertang

I think we should pick Haseeb Hameed for OT to open with Burns - he couldn't do any worse than Roy, and it would maybe make Paul Allott realise just how much of an idiot he's been

TheJediBrah

If Jimmeh is deemed fit does he come back? Almost certainly, I guess.

Probably replaces Woakes? Root seems less than entirely trusting of his bowling so far this series. Lengthens the tail quite considerably if he is the man to make way.
Woakes has been a genuine disappointment this series. Coming in he was close to England's best player but he hasn't made the runs and his bowling has been pretty meek. Lucky to be gifted the wicket of a mentally unwell Smith at Lords too

King Pietersen

Absolutely do change a winning combination. Roy isn't up to it, and not convinced Buttler is either. I'm picking:

Burns
Sibley
Root
Denly
Stokes
Pope
Bairstow
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Leach

A superb final innings effort from Root, Denly, Bairstow and Stokes does not paper over the fact the top order aren't good enough. We should be picking the best team available, and for me, neither Roy nor Buttler make that team right now.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why wouldn't you respond to successive second dig unbeaten tons by dropping Stokes back down the order

King Pietersen

Why wouldn't you respond to successive second dig unbeaten tons by dropping Stokes back down the order
I guess. Pope can come in at 6, I just want an extra batsman in there and prefer the classical balance of 5 batsmen, all-rounder, keeper and bowlers, but does make sense to keep Stokes at 5.

Pothas

Long term I would want Pope in at 5 and Stokes at 6 but that is not for now. I don't think we will see Pope until after the ashes.

I just can't wait to see Anderson again, really hope he is fit. Going to enjoy every Test he has left now, the injury really brought that home.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Will be so good to see Australia welcome back our superstar and it would be nice if Smith is fit too.

Shady Slim

Long term I would want Pope in at 5 and Stokes at 6 but that is not for now. I don't think we will see Pope until after the ashes.

I just can't wait to see Anderson again, really hope he is fit. Going to enjoy every Test he has left now, the injury really brought that home.
i really don't think lloyd pope is up for the number five spot in the ashes, especially given that marnus batted so well too

lordscc

Aussies should bin off Khawaja & bring in Steve Smith

England. If Anderson’s fit then he comes in for Chris Woakes. I would like to see Jason Roy dropped for Dominic Sibley or Oli Pope

Starfighter

This series seems to be doing a decent 1981 imitation. Guessing Stokes to absolutely clean us up with the ball in this test.