• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

5th Test at The Oval, London

TheJediBrah

I wouldn't think it's stupid to rest him, assuming they have good reason to do so, considering we have Patto in the wings who's nearly as good anyway. If we were relying on Siddle or Neser to come in and replace Cummins I'd be more strongly against resting him.

Compton

Cummins has sent down 48 overs in the last 4 days, and was starting to look pretty tired.

It will obviously depend on how he feels over the next few days, but given that the Ashes have been retained, it may be worth giving him the chance to put his feet up and enjoy the celebrations.

TheJediBrah

I've been really surprised at how ordinary Bairstow and Buttler have been. Every time we get them 4 or 5 down and these 2 are there I get worried because I expect them to bat like they do in ODIs but they keep getting out.

Gob

Has a test hundred ever been more inevitable than the one TPC is making at the first innings of the Oval?

halba

Resting Cummins would be the height of stupidity. He's got a long break before the next series after this one.
bring in marsh or neser for travis head/wade to give them a rest in the spells would be a better option.
bring in khawaja to open with labuschane.

halba

Surely you Aussies aren't looking at the Oval as a dead rubber? Fmd, I'd be fuming if they rested Cummins unless he's got a serious niggle.

Everything to play for at The Oval for both sides imo.
its a dead rubber. retaining the ashes is as good as the aussies can hope. winning a series in england is too tough, given the hopeless batting bar Smith.

TheJediBrah

its a dead rubber. retaining the ashes is as good as the aussies can hope. winning a series in england is too tough, given the hopeless batting bar Smith.
What are you smoking? They haven't even come close to losing a match this series with Smith in the team

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean the forecast looks fine but given that it's England in September, we could easily have a day and a half rained out and Aus wins the series kind of by default. The Oval is not exactly known as a bowler's paradise.

Gob

so they should stop trying. Cool

aussie tragic

Says no Aussie ever...step on their throats while they're down and out, especially Root so he resigns the captaincy ;)

Sheen1979

Id go:

1 Denly
2 Burns (c)
3 Stokes (batsman only as i suspect hes injured)
4 Root
5 Moeen
6 Pope
7 Buttler
8 Curran
9 Woakes
10 Archer
11 Broad

Lillian Thomson

I hope your hair was on fire when you wrote that. Australia are 2-1 up with one match to go and can only hope for a drawn series because their batting is weak aside from a man who'll be playing in the match? Excellent.

quincywagstaff

Amazed they've kept Roy in the squad.

Lyon would be shattered Moeen isn't back; seems to have lost confidence without that guaranteed wicket.