• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andre, Andrew & Tim Pick Combined NZ/Aus/Eng side

hourn

Tim said:
Fullback: Mils Muli'aina (NZ)
Left Wing: Joe Rokocoko (NZ)
Right Wing: Doug Howlett (NZ)
Outside Centre: Stirling Mortlock (Aus)
Inside Centre: Carlos Spencer (NZ)
1st 5/8: Johnny Wilkinson (Eng)
Halfback: Matt Dawson (Eng)
#8: Lawrence Dellaglio (Eng)
#7: Richie McCaw (NZ)
#6: George Smith (Aus)
#5: Martin Johnson (c) (Eng)
#4: Chris Jack (NZ)
#3: Phil Vickery (Eng)
#2: Keven Mealamu (NZ)
#1: Bill Young (Aus)

NZ: 7 Aus: 3 Eng: 5
In: Justin Marshall Out: Matt Dawson (JM one of the best 3 in the tournament)
In: Jerry Collins Out: Lawrence Dallaglio (no comparison)
In: Neil Back Out: Richie McCaw (just)
In: Mike Tindall Out: Carlos Spencer (not an Inside)
In: Lote Tiquri Out: Joe Rockocko (hard choice)

On the bench:
Kees Meuws (covers props)
Steven Thompson (covers hooker)
Ben Kay (covers second row)
Phil Waugh (covers flankers, smith covers # 8)
Matt Dawson (covers halfback)
Stephen Larkham (covers flyhalf, fullback)
Elton Flatley (covers flyhalf, inside centre, tindall covers outside centre, mortlock covers wings, howlett also covers FB).

so the bench covers every position.

so close:
Jason Robinson - he's a freak, but it's just to damn hard to find a spot
Joe Rockocko - would've been in the team, but the fact Howlett can play FB as well just got him in the team
Carlos Spencer - woulda been on the bench, but Larkham's versatility and 'freak' factor (although Carlos has a lot of that himself) got him the spot instead
Nathan Sharpe - just falls short of Kay
Richie McCaw - the guy is fantastic, but there's to many other class back rowers around.

PY

Re: Re: Andre, Andrew & Tim Pick Combined NZ/Aus/Eng side

hourn said:
In: Justin Marshall Out: Matt Dawson (JM one of the best 3 in the tournament)
In: Jerry Collins Out: Lawrence Dallaglio (no comparison)
Dawson IMO had a storming final, he's one of the top 2 in the tournament for me. And how you can take out Dallaglio I'll never know especially saying there's no comparison. Dallaglio can go head-to-head with anyone in the world and come out on top with 99% of them.

I'm also biased :)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
nibblet said:
I find it hard to believe there is no room for Jason Robinson is that side. IMO, he's clearly the best winger in the world.
Funny how I said that before the Tournament and got shouted down!

nibbs

Howlett and Rokococo need a lot of space to create tries etc, and score tries after being put into space or just being to fast for the opposition. When comparing them to some of All Blacks from the past few seasons like Christian Cullen, Jonah Lomu and Jeff Wilson, these two don't come close. These players could make stuff from nothing needing very little space.