• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Blog - http://www.cricketweb.net/blog/asheshq/

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Couple more

- Any time a substitute fielder comes on the commentators will reference Gary Pratt's run out of Ricky in 2005.
- Any time a batsmen is asked if he is okay after being hit commentators will reference the great sportsmanship of the 2005 series.
- Hauritz being tonked will inevitably bring forth variatons on "There's a certain Australian spinner who took 40 wickets last time, but he's in the box with us now. Why aren't you out there Warney?"

- Any dropped catch will be compared to Warne shelling KP on the final day at The Oval.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
- Hauritz being tonked will inevitably bring forth variatons on "There's a certain Australian spinner who took 40 wickets last time, but he's in the box with us now. Why aren't you out there Warney?"
:laugh:

Called it. Nasser showed a montage of Warney's wickets & went for "he'll be here with us for the rest of the week" this time.

superkingdave

England had two fall to play ons today...think i only remember one maybe two inside edges past the stumps..not a great ratio given how much you see chinese cuts happen in cricket these days. Similarly i only remember a couple at most edges short of a fielder.

Thought Australia bowled well in periods but also at times bowled poorly...wouldn't say they were the better team by a country mile. They went missing for the whole of the middle session and had a very poor spell around the second new ball before coming back at the end.

grecian

England had two fall to play ons today...think i only remember one maybe two inside edges past the stumps..not a great ratio given how much you see chinese cuts happen in cricket these days. Similarly i only remember a couple at most edges short of a fielder.

Thought Australia bowled well in periods but also at times bowled poorly...wouldn't say they were the better team by a country mile. They went missing for the whole of the middle session and had a very poor spell around the second new ball before coming back at the end.

Yep agree with this, and they (the Aussies) didn't actually look like taking a wicket at first until Cook did one of his trademark prods. Think there were massive periods of the game when we were comfortably on top and the Crims looked clueless.

but it's a game of opinions I suppose...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, think UC watching a different game to me. At least twice (with KP/Colly and Fred/Prior going) we were in the driving seat and then handed the initiative back with daft shots.

Australian fielding would get a pass mark at best too. Clarke shelled a difficult chance from KP, overthrows were conceded because of no backing up and twice Hughes allowed boundaries he might've stopped.

Uppercut

Yep agree with this, and they (the Aussies) didn't actually look like taking a wicket at first until Cook did one of his trademark prods. Think there were massive periods of the game when we were comfortably on top and the Crims looked clueless.

but it's a game of opinions I suppose...
Tbf, England scored 21 runs before that Cook prank-shot. The match effectively didn't begin until he got out.

Uppercut

Yeah, think UC watching a different game to me. At least twice (with KP/Colly and Fred/Prior going) we were in the driving seat and then handed the initiative back with daft shots.

Australian fielding would get a pass mark at best too. Clarke shelled a difficult chance from KP, overthrows were conceded because of no backing up and twice Hughes allowed boundaries he might've stopped.
I probably missed the bits where England were on top. I'm not being cheeky, I mean I genuinely missed a lot of them.

More to the point though, I'd say England played poorly because there's not a single contribution you'd be particularly happy with. Cook? Let's not go there. Strauss? Didn't score enough runs. Bopara? Looked like getting out, then got out. Colly looked solid, then lost his concentration when he could have been on for a big one. KP looked worse than I've ever seen him, but did well to get into the 60s before playing the most horrendous shot I've ever seen. You really want something more substantial from Prior and Flintoff.

Anyhow, I can only call it as I see it, and Australia definitely looked the better side to me. So it's a bit surprising to look at the scoreboard at the end of the day and see England in such a strong position.

chasingthedon

I probably missed the bits where England were on top. I'm not being cheeky, I mean I genuinely missed a lot of them.

More to the point though, I'd say England played poorly because there's not a single contribution you'd be particularly happy with. Cook? Let's not go there. Strauss? Didn't score enough runs. Bopara? Looked like getting out, then got out. Colly looked solid, then lost his concentration when he could have been on for a big one. KP looked worse than I've ever seen him, but did well to get into the 60s before playing the most horrendous shot I've ever seen. You really want something more substantial from Prior and Flintoff.

Anyhow, I can only call it as I see it, and Australia definitely looked the better side to me. So it's a bit surprising to look at the scoreboard at the end of the day and see England in such a strong position.
Shades of Australia 2005, being outplayed but still being in it. Could it be that England are becoming (gulps) a GOOD TEAM?! Maybe not - still fun to watch though.