• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Commentary

pasag

RTDAS
12.4 Clark to Strauss, no run, ooh, close lbw call, but saved by what would be a very, very thin inside edge - a Nicole Ritchie-esque Size O size edge if you like - if it exists, but, ah, it's a touch high, too. That explains things

Direee.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
How bad were they yesterday?

Healy describing Symonds' thought processes as he went out was cringeworthy, as was how slow the three commentators were to pick up that it was glove that Gilchrist got on the ball.

Mister Wright

Yeah, they were very bad yesterday.

Whenever Mark Nicholas comes in to commentate the other two commentators don't need to come into the box for the first three minutes - he just rambles on. Taylor & Slater's banter is getting very tiresome and Ian Chappel wanting Bell to bowl was hilarious.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
Yeah, they were very bad yesterday.

Whenever Mark Nicholas comes in to commentate the other two commentators don't need to come into the box for the first three minutes - he just rambles on. Taylor & Slater's banter is getting very tiresome and Ian Chappel wanting Bell to bowl was hilarious.
Haha, I know. Obviously the guy in charge of on-screen statistics just wanted to take the proverbial out of Chapple when, while he was talking about how Collingwood or Bell should bowl, the camera did a close-up on Bell, and showed his career bowling statistics in Tests.

Still have time for Slater though. Taylor's horrendous, but made to look better by what surrounds him.

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:
Haha, I know. Obviously the guy in charge of on-screen statistics just wanted to take the proverbial out of Chapple when, while he was talking about how Collingwood or Bell should bowl, the camera did a close-up on Bell, and showed his career bowling statistics in Tests.

Still have time for Slater though. Taylor's horrendous, but made to look better by what surrounds him.
Taylor was made to look like a bit of a fool yesterday, when Panesar was hit for 17 by Symonds in an over and Healy and I think it was Chappel or Nicholas agreed he should be kept on for another over and Taylor scoffed at the suggestion. Panesar then went on to take 2 wickets in his next 2 overs.

Johnners

It was either Geoff Lawson or Terry Alderman who said exactly the same thing on the ABC. TBH though i expect nothing else but crap from those two....

burr

I HATE, HATE, HATE Ian Chappel. Just shut up ok? Stop whinging, stop always being negative, stop hinting that you were this wonderfully daring, attacking captain and say something vaguely interesting for once. Grrrrr. I can't stand him. Channel 9 commentary, geez it's bad. Slater - this man is annoying - everything comes back to him. I cant believe long, long ago he used to be my fav batsman. What was I thinking?

I love the way Aggers talks to KoK - he seems to have this quite disdain for the man - he alone recognises he simpy isn't very funny. It's great.

burr

Oh yes, and how could I forget Simon O'Donnell. He is simly the WORST. How did this man get a job, I fail to find one endearing feature.

howardj

Oh for sure man. I'd rather get bull-whipped 100 times than listen to an O'Donnell commentary stint. Absolutely dire.

age_master

vic_orthdox said:

Still have time for Slater though.
haha i want Bell and Collingwood to have a bowl and get smashed just to shut him up.

I like Slats's commentary. Hes probably my favourite commentator at the moment.

age_master

howardj said:
Oh for sure man. I'd rather get bull-whipped 100 times than listen to an O'Donnell commentary stint. Absolutely dire.

personally i just ignore him, a little less painful :p

howardj

age_master said:
I like Slats's commentary. Hes probably my favourite commentator at the moment.
Yeah Slats has enthusiasm (as distinct from guys like Greig and Lawry who just go through the motions) passion and freshness.

Agnew is easily the best of the radio commentators, while Glenn Mitchell is an absolute 'try-hard' who has never managed to even half fill the shoes of the man he replaced - Tim Lane.

burr

howardj said:
Glenn Mitchell is an absolute 'try-hard' who has never managed to even half fill the shoes of the man he replaced - Tim Lane.
Oh I know - Mitchell gives me the irrits. I miss Tim Lane soo much - he was a class above. I wish the ABC had brought in more BBC special comments men like Victor Marks, instead all we have is Alderman and Lawson.

Don't ask me why but for some reason I can sometimes quite like Ian Healey. He has all this boyish enthusiasm that in him is quite endearing. And I actually don't mind Mark Taylor either. Even though the voice is awful (the lisp and all) and fails to convey any authority through tone, he actually does tend to say some vaguely interesting things. Like when he was talking about Matthew Hayden's great catch at the Adelaide Oval and explaining why it was great, and where he should be standing at slip I found that quite lucid and intelligible. B/c he was a great capatin if he says something about Pontings tactics I sit up and take notice - as opposed to Chappel.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Terrible little stint when Gilly and Warne were going nuts just before. Harmison's over wasn't THAT bad, and everyone stuck the boot in. Chapelli having a shot at Pietersen for not catching it, and Healy was in the box at the same time. If it had've been England batting, doing the same thing, all the talk would have been how they were living dangerously and it was a matter of time.

burr

^ Agreed. Chappell having a go at KP for not taking the catch was ridiculous and what makes Chappell such a crap commentator. It was a great effort. I heard Tim Lane on the BBC the other day. What the? How come they get him and we don't. Not fair.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's grown on me as well. I never much liked him before, but I like his enthusiasm, and as a cheerleader commentator he's certainly better to listen to than Lawry or Lloyd.
That's because you're a fan of Lee, and whenever Lee is bowling and Nicholas is in the box:

*Lee bowls outside off, Cook leaves*

"Look at this man, charge in, what a man! What an athelete! The heart, the guts and sheer determination, just inspiring stuff. A mentor to Australian youngsters everywhere."

8-)