• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes predictions

S.Kennedy

Thing is about this England, I'd say commencing with Cook's captaincy, is when they are bad they are bad. They do not seem capable for being only slightly ****, or battling onto the end and being sucker-punched. They are either great - and England have had their triumphs such as India '12 and South Africa '15 or absolutely terrible. There is no middle ground. And when they are terrible it is usually curtains. Even during the 90s nadir they could pick up a test in a losing cause. 1993 - 2003 they picked up a test in every Ashes against much better Australian sides than the present, or the 2013-14 lot! This England seem to only require the slightest nudge to collapse like a bag of spuds.

TNT

Banned
Thing is about this England, I'd say commencing with Cook's captaincy, is when they are bad they are bad. They do not seem capable for being only slightly ****, or battling onto the end and being sucker-punched. They are either great - and England have had their triumphs such as India '12 and South Africa '15 or absolutely terrible. There is no middle ground. And when they are terrible it is usually curtains. Even during the 90s nadir they could pick up a test in a losing cause. 1993 - 2003 they picked up a test in every Ashes against much better Australian sides than the present, or the 2013-14 lot! This England seem to only require the slightest nudge to collapse like a bag of spuds.
No chance you might be underestimating this Australian side.

Heboric

If England get whitewashed, then :

1 - All talk of the 90's era should stop
2 - The Barmy Army are relevant again

Starfighter

Right, let us evaluate these:

Genuinely thought it would be a whitewash, but Melbourne was on my side.

Runs: Smith, Root
Too easy for Smith. Root's ****s probably gave it to Malan. Did anyone expect Malan to do well, let alone be top scorer for England?

Wickets: Haze, Broad
Nope. Close run on the former, well off on the latter.

One of Anderson or Broad to get injured.
Broad did have that knee issue that was brought up but it didn't stop him playing so I don't think that counts.

2/6 pretty crap really.

Might actually be cow

Would be a pity because I like his snarky style.
Got banned twice. Well done on this prediction.

YorksLanka

Congrats to Australia on a resounding series win..I predicted an England 3-2 win and have genuinely surprised at how poor England have been. I have also been very surprised at the batting ability of the Marsh brothers! Well done to them and hope all Aussie fans enjoying their victory.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
4-1 Australia
Runs: Smith, Root
Wickets: Hazelwood, Anderson
Surprises: Tim Paine and Joe Root to score centuries
Close
Yes, close
Close, Yes
Root out memes himself to get this wrong. Paine prediction was based on England always allowing crud batsmen to have great series, so given how Mitch Marsh went I'm giving myself half a point.

Gob

Result- Aus 4-0 (Melbourne to throw in a **** wickets to let England get away)
Most runs- Smith (who else)
Most wickets-Between Cummins and Starc (leaning towards Cummo)
Random predictions- MMarsh to come good, Moeen to get canned
Flawless

fredfertang

stephen

Yeah I think Malan was the best English bat by a fair margin. Root really needs to work on his conversion issues. Getting out in the 70s every time doesn't really help his team build a platform in Australia. It's OK in England where 300 is often a winning total but that's not the case in many countries.

quincywagstaff

I thought it would be closer than it was as I thought Australia had significant issues in the batting and keeping areas but even though Handscomb was completely out of form and Bancroft declined after a promising debut, it didn’t really matter because of how listless England were.

Thought England were gone after how meekly they capitulated with the bat in the 2nd innings in Brisbane. Smith said the Vince run-out was the turning point of the series but in truth I think it was the bowling of Australia on the 3rd evening that defined the series. Sans on the bland Melbourne pitch, Australia pretty much had it over mentally on England’s batsmen from that point on.

oblongballs

Yeah I think Malan was the best English bat by a fair margin. Root really needs to work on his conversion issues. Getting out in the 70s every time doesn't really help his team build a platform in Australia. It's OK in England where 300 is often a winning total but that's not the case in many countries.
It would be great if Root started making more centuries but the issue is, he is doing his bit and more often than not gets to 50. The others around him need to start doing the same too.