• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Trivia

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It was the shortest innings, not the lowest number of runs in an innings. Here is a list of the smallest number of runs in an innings Records | Test matches | Team records | Lowest innings totals | ESPN Cricinfo

They declared because there was only a short amount of time left before a break in play (Lunch or Tea, I forget which). They felt that getting a short period in before a break, meaning bowlers get to refresh and batsmen have to start again, was worth more than whatever runs the last wicket would get. It's conventional cricketing wisdom that getting a short time to bowl at the opposition before a break is beneficial, but it is debatable whether such a perceived advantage is more than any potential additional runs.

fredfertang

I do not understand what "18.4x5 overs" or "22.4x5 overs" are. Could anyone explain these numbers?
The number of balls in an over loko - as you will know it's currently 6 and has been for years, but in the past it has been 4, 5 and 8 so 18.4x5 means 18 five ball overs and four deliveries so a total of 94

Lokomotiv

The number of balls in an over loko - as you will know it's currently 6 and has been for years, but in the past it has been 4, 5 and 8 so 18.4x5 means 18 five ball overs and four deliveries so a total of 94
Oh, I had known only 6 and 8 ball overs, and 5-ball over in the US Pro Cricket in 2004. (US Pro Cricket was not under the ICC's laws and regulations, according to Wikipedia)

Lokomotiv

It was the shortest innings, not the lowest number of runs in an innings. Here is a list of the smallest number of runs in an innings Records | Test matches | Team records | Lowest innings totals | ESPN Cricinfo

They declared because there was only a short amount of time left before a break in play (Lunch or Tea, I forget which). They felt that getting a short period in before a break, meaning bowlers get to refresh and batsmen have to start again, was worth more than whatever runs the last wicket would get. It's conventional cricketing wisdom that getting a short time to bowl at the opposition before a break is beneficial, but it is debatable whether such a perceived advantage is more than any potential additional runs.
So what is the standard time after declaration for starting next innings before lunch or tea break?
Is there any suggestion for mathematical calculation like D/L method for Tests?