• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia is on fire.

Gnske

I think it got to the point where, sadly, the fires moved so fast that people couldn't out run them. There was that horrific incident in one of the towns where people got in their cars to go but the visibility was so bad they couldn't move and ended up all being burned to death.

Also, just a quick reminder as to the plonker who started us on the road to where we are now:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-13/howard-lends-support-to-anti-climate-change-book/3727650
"The Greatest Prime Minister Australia has ever had" - Gnske Snr

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Reminder to keep the poltical stuff in the political thread where we've already been discussing the fires for ages. We don't really need two separate threads if we're going to do it in both.

Burgey

Fair play to Warne for auctioning off his Baggy Green for bush fire relief. Decent effort.

Gnske

Reminder to keep the poltical stuff in the political thread where we've already been discussing the fires for ages. We don't really need two separate threads if we're going to do it in both.
I gotta say this is a situation where avoiding the politics in talking deeply about the situation is nigh impossible I dare say. Especially since all roads lead to slandering the good name of our great leader. Apart from the standard expressions of disbelief and depression over this whole situation.

I know we got the standard Auspol thread, but I think this one can combine both reasonably.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I gotta say this is a situation where avoiding the politics in talking deeply about the situation is nigh impossible I dare say. Especially since all roads lead to slandering the good name of our great leader. Apart from the standard expressions of disbelief and depression over this whole situation.

I know we got the standard Auspol thread, but I think this one can combine both reasonably.
Yeah I guess it's probably fine to talk about the government not doing enough earlier whether it's about climate change or funding or backburning etc, I just don't want this thread to become another discussion about ScoMo's holiday which wouldn't have affected anything either way. It's a fine line. Eventually we'd move past the need for two threads if it got too much into that stuff.

Posts about politics are probably better than posts about whether we should have posts about politics though, so I'll leave it at this other than maybe moving a few posts later if I think they cross over into the overly political.

Gnske

Felt like I'd share some more links/videos since I'm bothered off my nut. And in case anyone overseas has invested curiosity.

NSFW and not for those with little stomach for suffering.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=12298162

Couple of videos from Mallacoota

https://twitter.com/somers3927/status/1212584182494285830

If you thought the red skies from ground level were bad

https://twitter.com/BritComMil/status/1214074723358801920

And since he's popular with my generation, but also since it probably perfectly captures how the entire nation is seething at the moment (PEWS feel free to delete or ask me to if its too much for the thread).

I'll say though, despite how depressing everything is it's good money raising efforts seem unmissable and in substantial amounts everywhere I look on social media, news etc. A very faint silver lining to the ever looming cloud.

Last edited:

Gnske

is there an end to these fires in sight?
Not February.

Problem is, summer conditions last very late into Autumn and my experience in Brisbane has been that winter lasts June and July but then August hits and Spring basically gets skipped. The fires started up in September after all on the inner North Coast.

Wonder if there will be any fuel at all in 9 months.

NotMcKenzie

is there an end to these fires in sight?
Fire seasons get later further south and inland, so while spring is the season in Central Qld and the coast of southern Qld and NSW, Central and W. Victoria are probably still awaiting a big one.

andmark

Sorry, I've been meaning to drop in here. My best wishes to all affected and I sincerely hope everyone, especially the CW community, stays safe.