• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia's 2022 World Cup Bid

_Ed_

Australia's chances have almost certainly been damaged by the suspension of the Oceania bloke. He would probably have given his vote to Australia, unless one of the other bidders offered him a decent enough bribe.

morgieb

Will probably go to the Yanks (or Qatar cos they're shonks). Asia really needed to rally behind one candidate, rather than several.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On ABC's Offsiders yesterday some American bookie had Qatar as favs at $1.44.

They were suggesting that was ridiculous. Apparently Qatar's climate would be far too hot.

morgieb

On ABC's Offsiders yesterday some American bookie had Qatar as favs at $1.44.

They were suggesting that was ridiculous. Apparently Qatar's climate would be far too hot.
It would be though. Like I said, FIFA's a bunch of shonks so they'll probably give it to them anyway.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Qatar and Spain/Portugal will win - there's some nice little vote bargaining gone on between the 2 bids.

ripper868

Would like Australia to win it, only if it means NRL and AFL are suspended for a year though, can't have little darling soccer players playing on pitches wit dents in the grass :ph34r:

social

Having spent quite a bit of time there, I wouldnt rate Qatar in the top 100 places to be considered

Temperatures will be high 40s and above and the place is a desperately boring ****-hole of the highest order

However, in its favour it meets the no. 1 criteria - they're filthy rich and will chuck money at anybody and anything to get it

Truly a shame if it gets the nod

pasag

RTDAS
I'm a bit torn by it. On the one hand it will be a nightmare for the next decade and will threaten AFL (not the whole thing, but some of the side effects might be dire) on the other hand it'll offer many opportunities for this country and if so many of my compatriots want it, then let them be happy. Also could offer more opportunities for the AFL when people come here and realise how much more superior it is to soccer. Also, do not want to lose out to America and Qatar on principle. We have a great track record for putting on excellent sporting events and no other country, IMHO, is more qualified.