• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batting technique and stance

Malik1219

Hi
I want to ask opinions on how to find my natural stance and technique because I started playing cricket by watching intl cricket and copied different players over the years ,my stance and trigger movements or standing still keeps changing after 3/4 months .i have copied virat Kohli,sachin ,Clarke ,Williamson and some others . So could anyone tell me how to find that natural base where I can hit the ball best to my ability because I know everyone is different so I’m just trying to find myself .
Pleas help me out ,cheers

John1990

I can if you post back to me. You have one post and it's an old thread. If you get back to me I'll know you are actually going to read the reply and go into more detail.

NotMcKenzie

In my experience, if one has been changing one's batting technique a lot (like myself), then one may find it somewhat difficult to find a comfortable 'natural' technique.

Given you have already been playing, my advice would be to first know what shots you like to play and make sure your technique does not interfere with them.

With regards to trigger movements, I would probably try to avoid over-complicating things and start with no trigger movement or a classical back and across one: just don't make it too large as it will probably interfere with your stability.

John1990

Hi
I want to ask opinions on how to find my natural stance and technique because I started playing cricket by watching intl cricket and copied different players over the years ,my stance and trigger movements or standing still keeps changing after 3/4 months .i have copied virat Kohli,sachin ,Clarke ,Williamson and some others . So could anyone tell me how to find that natural base where I can hit the ball best to my ability because I know everyone is different so I’m just trying to find myself .
Pleas help me out ,cheers
Unfortunately I got banned.

The main thing in cricket is to bowl and bat how is natural for you. Do not copy. Take your natural guard whether it is leg, middle-leg, middle, middle-off or even on off-stump in front of the whole set. It is dependant on your strengths and weaknesses as a player and you will know better than anyone which guard to take. The only point of the guard is to give you a better chance to hit the ball and knowing where you off-stump is. Whichever guard you take anything on the stumps is going to have you bowled or lbw - unless you are hit on the pad outside off stump (or it pitches outside leg stump and you are hit on the pad). People are scared to take an off stump guard or guard off side of middle because they think it brings lbw into play more. It's in fact the opposite. Trigger movements are a factor, but regardless if you take a guard further to off stump you can take a bigger stride to balls outside off stump and punish them. Not only that but you'll be hit outside the line constantly by a bowler bowling wide of the crease and bowled and lbw will be impossible for the bowler. Then you only need to be wary if a bowl tries to target the outside of leg stump getting tight to the stumps at the non strikers end when he delivers the ball. But you have a scoring opportunity there off the bats and can cover it with footwork and block if required.

Obviously we need to know your strengths and weaknesses to be specific, but you are going to be able to work out what's best for you far better than me and my post intends to help you do that. Front foot and back foot strengths , off side and leg side need to be taken into account for guard and stance width. But I recommend most to keep your head still and towards the ball and to bat further to the off stump with your guard if you are struggling. And commit 100% to all shots you play.

Gloves are another factor people forget. Thicker gloves can give more finesse and protection but sacrifice power. Need more power then use thinner gloves and use a thinner bat handle too (another factor!). And then there is bat weight! Lighter bat with thicker edges is best for most with a thinner handle and thinner gloves. And shoes and pads that are lighter too.

I've given you some ideas hopefully. The main thing being that the most important thing in cricket is to 1. protect your stumps 2. try to get into position to play your best shots as often as you can. Ideally your guard makes the bowler bowl in areas you want him too. And play within your limitations and skill set or you will get out quickly. Whether you are going to hit in the air or on the ground depends on your power. If you aren't a power player then try to keep your shots down and along the ground. If you are very powerful by all means hit everything over the top on the off side if the field is up. But you have to be very powerful and committed to play like this.

Any other ideas or questions then ask. I realise no one here is international level, but I have played against a few playing right now at junior level and experienced high level coaching. Not that it matters too much, ideas from anyone can help a player of any level in theory. Some old people have never even played cricket but know a lot about it. I have also coached myself other sports, but cricket I feel is about working your own game out (other sports too) and practicing often to build confidence and timing. Maybe my ideas will help you, others or even myself when I review the thread if I start playing again.

Last edited:

John1990

Btw

I forgot pick up but in my opinion either take natural pick up , or have it in a position where you can flush your best shot or block well no matter where the ball is going to pitch. I can bat ok left and right handed (and bowl and throw left and right handed) because I am good technically and mentally (and train well) although I am not a natural at all