• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Big Big News!! Warne Is Out!

aussie_beater

I am surprised that this dope test for which Warne has tested positive was actually done by ACB and not by the South African authorities in charge of the world cup. Its stupid on ACB's part to report the results now when the world cup is under way to bring the whole game to shame. If they did the tests, then why didn't they do it earlier and get the results before the world cup started ? That way this wouldn't have plagued the world cup.To my knowledege this is the first time such a thing has happened in international cricket. What a shame !!

Indian players also went through the dope tests(during the NZ tour) conducted by BCCI and I believe the results were all available before the world cup.

As for Warne claiming that he didn't know about those substances, I think he is being honest but that does not absolve him in any way.Its extremely naive for a professional sportsman of Warne's level to not know about these substances when these doping regulations have been in place in Aussie cricket since 1988, I believe.

Rich2001

Top_Cat said:
Anyway, heś in deep poopie indeed if the second test comes back positive. Itś a mandatory two-year ban regardless of the drug. Itś really not Warnieś responsibility to know whatś in the drugs being given him (how could he? Heś not a doctor) so if this ends his career, just wait for a malpractice suit against the doctor in question.
Well it's 99.9% certian that the result will be postive, due to the fact both samples are taken at the same time (or one sample split in 2, can't remember)

Also I think Warne should be given some credit.. Although Warne tested positive he backed out of World Cup, he could have stayed and played in the Aussie games until the results from the 2nd sample came through....

Anil

Rich2001 said:
Well it's 99.9% certian that the result will be postive, due to the fact both samples are taken at the same time (or one sample split in 2, can't remember)

Also I think Warne should be given some credit.. Although Warne tested positive he backed out of World Cup, he could have stayed and played in the Aussie games until the results from the 2nd sample came through....
Was it his decision to back out or the ACB's and the team management's......?

The Argonaut

Sounds like he was naive and stupid again.

The latest reports on TV suggest that his mother might have given him the tablet.

It's good that he's backed out now. Imagine the headlines if he had delayed it until the 2nd sample results came through - allegations of cover up.

Regardless of how he came to take this substance he needs to be banned for some period. Not the 2 years that some are suggesting might happen but a couple of months would suffice. He is a professional sportsman and should know better.

Top_Cat

That is not really the case. The reason there are two samples taken is to negate the false positive effect. In a lab where there would be hundreds of different people getting drug tested at any time, there's always the chance of a mix-up or contamination. Take it from someone who used to work in a forensics lab as a chemist. :D

I'd imagine you're right, though as I think the second test will come back positive. I personally would like to see just how much of the banned diuretic Warne had in his blood a the time of the test.

hourn

I think by the results of a second sample they mean he has had to do one now, and not the results of a second sample done at the time.

From what i understand they do two samples at the time, and if both are positive then the athlete is using drugs. If one is positive and one negative they let it slip as a mistake but usually keep a pretty close eye on them in the future.

Now that Warne has been found to have failed a test, he would've given a second sample now which will show whether the drug is still in his body, as that will show prolonged use of the drug and an almost certain career ending ban.

If it comes back negative, then they'll probably have a hearing to discuss how it was taken and who prescribed it etc,. etc,. and he'll probably get a 2 month ban (Windies tour??) for his naivety.

AT least thats my take on it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Had he played a couple of games, and then the second test come back positive, I have no doubt the team would've suffered.

Rich2001

Top_Cat said:
I'd imagine you're right, though as I think the second test will come back positive. I personally would like to see just how much of the banned diuretic Warne had in his blood a the time of the test.
Yeah working it out, Top_Cat you probably know the answer but in all the talk today it was only memtioned he took a tablet before his comback match (NSW v Vic - obliviously didn't help his performance, recall that Langer over).... However the sample was taken in the VB Series (quite a gap between games) so does that mean this particular "item" stay in the system a long time or did/was he taking it more regularly then he was admitting today?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

It depends upon the diuretic. There are three types (loop, K+ sparing and thiazide) and several sub-types of each but as a general rule, most diuretics leave the body in a few hours after taking them.

Anyway, I think it's taken as a given that Warnie probably didn't take these as a one-off.

yohanna

Banned
Was Warne suffering from Congestive Cardiac failure or Hypertension??? Because the combination of diuretics he used is usually reserved for such cases.These drugs aren't uncommon so they should really be in the banned drug list.Also, there are other drugs to reduce inflamatory process after a surgery, its highly unlikely that someone would receive such drugs as part of post operative treatment (shoulder injury)

But why would Warne ever would like to take a performer enhancing drug? As Imran Khan said that Warne isn't as fast bowler and as such he doesn't need them.

full_length

Anyone tired of Warne fibbing?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?artid=37362358

'Warne can't blame mom for this one'

PTI[ THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2003 02:44:45 PM ]

SYDNEY: Shane Warne could not use his mother as an excuse for taking a banned drug that could end his cricket career, Australian Medical Association President Kerryn Phelps said Thursday.

After the news of Warne testing positive broke out on Monday, the leg-spinner said his mother had given him the diuretic tablet, Moduretic, which he swallowed the day before he returned from a shoulder injury to Australia's one-day team last month.

Phelps, however, rubbished the excuse as nonsense.

"Shane Warne has said that he didn't take the diuretic because of part of his shoulder treatment so goodness knows what he was taking it for unless he had PMS (premenstrual stress)," Phelps was quoted as saying by an Australian news agency.

The Australian Sports Drug Agency (ASDA) had a hotline open from 9am to 9pm on weekdays and 9am to 5pm on weekends and public holidays so that athletes could find out any drug's status before taking it, Phelps said.

"You can't use mum as an excuse because mum could call the hotline," she said.

"And any parents of elite athletes out there who are even sligtly tempted to give their athletic offspring a tablet to take, ring the hotline and find out whether it's okay. Because chances are they're going to get tested, if they get tested and they've taken a banned substance, they'll be sprung and they may well be banned from sport."

Phelps said every elite athlete was aware of the importance of consulting the ASDA.

"Elite athletes know that they cannot take anything - whether it's prescribed, over-the-counter or otherwise - without first checking with the ASDA as to whether that substance is appropriate to be taken for sport," she said.

"Any elite athlete knows that their entire career could hinge on taking a tablet that is banned in sport. "There really isn't an excuse for an athlete not to check and not to know."

Gotchya

The Australian Sports Drug Agency (ASDA) had a hotline open from 9am to 9pm on weekdays and 9am to 5pm on weekends and public holidays so that athletes could find out any drug's status before taking it,
Get...set...flop

Anil

I think Warne is set for the high jump. Sad though! Such a wonderful career more or less ending in ignominy and shame. Besides, the Indians were deprived of a chance for some easy runs in their group match.

warrioryohannan

SA doctor on WARNE!!

SA doctor rule out Warne comeback in Cup

KIMBERLEY: Shane Warne's bid to make an unlikely comeback to the World Cup has been hit for a six by a renowned medical practioner of South Africa .

There is no sympathy for the champion Australian leg-spinner from the doctor who believe that Warne is reaping what he has sowed.

Warne, probably the most loved and loathed cricketer in the world, had to fly back home on Tuesday hours before the Pakistan match after it was confirmed that the 'A' drug test was positive and that he had taken Diuretics, which is on the International Cricket Council (ICC) and Australian Cricket Board's (ACB) list of banned substances under its anti-doping policy.

He is awaiting the results of a second test on Friday which he hopes would be negative, but Dr Fundile Nyati of Sandton said this was highly unlikely to happen.

However, the ACB applied to the ICC first for a replacement for Warne and then for him to be reinstated in the World Cup squad if the second test was negative.

"There are contradictions in Warne's statement made before the press. He prided himself on being in the best physical shape as a result of hard work. However. he also admits to having taken fluid tablets and these statements are contradictory," said Nyati.

"Warne says he never took performance-enhancing drugs. However, the issue was not about having taken performance-enhancing drugs, but it was about taking a banned substance-of which performance-enhancing drugs are just one group of drugs."

"There are other groups of banned substances in sports - ones that may not neccessarily enhance performance, but may give the athlete an unfair advantage over others," explained the doctor.

According to him, Diuretics, which are drugs that increase fluid loss from the body through their affect on kidney functioning have been abused by athletes for decades.

"This is especially so in boxing where boxers who are struggling to make their mandatory weights take them to force fluids from the body," he added.

"Also these drugs have in the past been used as "masking agents", to hide the concurrent use of other banned substances in urine. They do this through their ability to dilute urine, making it difficult to detect them," Nyati said.

The doctor said another question which needed to be answered was how did Warne get hold of Diuretics which is only available on prescription and also what role the team doctors played in this affair since a high profile player like Warne should have been closely monitored and given the possible advice during his rehabilitation especially before the World Cup.