• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Championless Trophy? - stop the bs and go

four_or_six

OK. Explain why Sri Lanka or India, especially Sri Lanka, is safer.
Explanation from Australia players association today:

""We've discussed this with the experts, who acknowledge that westerners are targets in Pakistan where as the biggest danger in Sri Lanka appears to be collateral damage," Marsh said."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24209993-23212,00.html

Of course, individual players can decide for themselves, but the boards should face heavy penalties for not sending a side (even if its a 3rd XI).
And from cricinfo... fining teams hasn't been ruled out, but Haroon Lorgat has said he doesn't want second string teams:

"I would like to think that the member boards would not send weakened sides because no life is lesser than another. Either you send your best side or you decide the advice tells you differently."

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/iccct2008/content/current/story/365525.html

GGG

Expected. Hopefully, they use the same logic and not tour India, considering all the bombings recently. And their players boycott the IPL.

Come on, when was the last time westerners were targetted in India?

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably about 2 or 3 hours ago. India's a vast, vast place with a colossal population and hence lots of things happen lots of the time. Too often for every single one to receive mass media attention.

(The first sentence is probably a slight exaggeration, but you get the picture)

GGG

Probably about 2 or 3 hours ago. India's a vast, vast place with a colossal population and hence lots of things happen lots of the time. Too often for every single one to receive mass media attention.

(The first sentence is probably a slight exaggeration, but you get the picture)
We are not talking about a random killing of a westerner for his camera.

Burgey

Thought they didn't go in fear of facing a (now confirmed from the B sample) juiced up Asif.

four_or_six

Seems like, basically, Reg Dickason (who Cricket Australia has used for 12 years and they say has never let them down) visited Karachi during the Asia Cup on behalf of CA/NZ/ECB and has given a thumbs down, and Nicholls Steyn (who was engaged by the ICC and I'm sure is also a top security expert) had visited during the Asia Cup but also at other times over the last few months has been more positive.

Quick question... if the ICC wanted to persuade cricket Australia... why on earth didn't it take the Cricket Australia-trusted security expert along with them in their other visits to Pakistan?!

pup11

Expected. Hopefully, they use the same logic and not tour India, considering all the bombings recently. And their players boycott the IPL.
India is a victim of terrorism and in Pakistan' case they are reaping what they sowed, Pakistan has been a breeding ground for terrorism for a long time now, but they never did anything to wipe off terrorism of their lands, as these terrorist groups were helping them inflict damage on India, but now that decision is coming back to haunt them.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dickason, hired by Cricket Australia, New Zealand Cricket and the ECB, provided, broadly, "a very negative report based on a one-day stay in Karachi simply advising them not to tour" according to an official involved in the recent meetings between the ICC task force and Australian players.
Haha. Classic.

chaminda_00

With all these so-called expert reports your never going to get you something that says the place to 100% safe or potential not safe to play. If people can live in these countries and perform their normal lives then there will always be a good chance the tour will go off without any problems. Though all it takes is a couple incidents and the place to meant to be unsafe. But how can you make an assessment in one day, that just stupid.

Still can't understand how anyone can say Pakistan is safer then Sri Lanka. You might not get targeted specifically. But a lot more people die every day in Sri Lanka and you have as much chance of getting caught up in collateral damage, as you do in a targeted attack in Pakistan.

The whole thing is double standards at it best. Part of me hopes something happens in Sri Lanka, to just show how stupid they are. If they force the tournment out of Pakistan for no good reason. But I wouldn 't wish that on anyone.

Raghav

Today, 50 killed in Islamabad in a twin suicide attack!

I dont know why Pakistan still insist all the other teams to tour their country for the champions trophy. Its really ridiculous on their part to tell to ICC that they would boycott if all the teams wont tour Pakistan....

James

Cricket Web Owner
Can't blame any country for not going after reading this article.

A massive bomb blast killing at least 60 people and a declaration of war by the Taliban in Pakistan is alarming New Zealand cricketers set to play there next month.

Two suicide bombers overnight attacked Pakistan’s largest weapons manufacturing complex near Islamabad killing at least 60 people.

The Taliban claimed responsibility and said they were declaring war on Pakistan itself.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
They've declared a war on India for decades. What's the big deal? And if I am not mistaken, they've done the same on the US. No one would visit the US either, right?

Again, perception overshadows reality. Doesn't really matter - the countries who won't tour had made their decision months ago. Nothing was going to convince them anyway. The tournament should go ahead without them, though the ICC have said it won't without teams like Australia. Sad end, unfortunately. But better than caving in to the sensationalists and moving it to an equally dangerous location.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
As always, in my experience, Bhogle does a good job of trying to show both sides of the argument.

I would take issue with whether the 'chaos' and overflowing toilets have played much of a part in the decision making process. I think since the time of Steve Waugh the Aussies have been prepared to embrace the experience, and if there wasn't the terrorism/civil strife issue, the vast majority of the team would be very happy to go to Pakistan.

pup11

They've declared a war on India for decades. What's the big deal? And if I am not mistaken, they've done the same on the US. No one would visit the US either, right?

Again, perception overshadows reality. Doesn't really matter - the countries who won't tour had made their decision months ago. Nothing was going to convince them anyway. The tournament should go ahead without them, though the ICC have said it won't without teams like Australia. Sad end, unfortunately. But better than caving in to the sensationalists and moving it to an equally dangerous location.
FFS, mate who wants to see Asia cup revisited.