• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Closing Ceremony cost $750,000 - Barbadian tax payers foot the bill

Goughy

The thread title cuts off at "Closing Ceremony cost.." on the front screen and so I thought Id guess what a high amount would be. I guessed $5 mill.

As you state it cost $750 000.

Life is too short to worry about such small figures. $750 000 is chump change in the grand scheme of a Government budget and there needs to be no dramas over such insignificant amounts.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Closing ceremonies are so pointless IMO. Particularly in events that involve a 'final'

LA ICE-E

how much did the opening ceremony costs? they should have put this money there too because the opening ceremony was the best yet. No point of a closing ceremony just give the trophy to the winners and let them celebrate but i guess more people remember what happened last and not 1st so they government wanted to invest so they get more tourists.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The thread title cuts off at "Closing Ceremony cost.." on the front screen and so I thought Id guess what a high amount would be. I guessed $5 mill.

As you state it cost $750 000.

Life is too short to worry about such small figures. $750 000 is chump change in the grand scheme of a Government budget and there needs to be no dramas over such insignificant amounts.
But the Barbadian budget can't exactly be a big one..

Totally pointless, opening and closing ceremonies.. But obviously we live in an era where cricket is no longer allowed to just do the talking..

LA ICE-E

no they are not, the opening ceremony gives the host to show case their culture and get more tourists etc.

pasag

RTDAS
The opening and closing ceremonies for the Melbourne Commonwealth Games last year cost about 50 million (aud) combined, so the 750,000 here as Goughy said, really isn't all that much.

PhoenixFire

The opening and closing ceremonies for the Melbourne Commonwealth Games last year cost about 50 million (aud) combined, so the 750,000 here as Goughy said, really isn't all that much.
Yes, but as was said before, $750,000 for Barbados is a hell of lot more than $750,000 for Australia.

pasag

RTDAS
Yes, but as was said before, $750,000 for Barbados is a hell of lot more than $750,000 for Australia.
Indeed, but as has also been said before, 750,000 really isn't that much for a closing ceremony. If you asked me how much it would be before reading the article, I'd say 10 million at least, so they got off easy. It's probably the cheapest closing ceremony in recent times. Honestly the amount they spent on stadiums and the like, as Goughy said, this is small change and the most disappointing thing here is cricinfo and the tabloid-like style they seem to be heading in, at times.

Nishant

i think that if it cant be afforded in that place...its money that could have gone elsewhere! It was a pointless ceremony!

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I can't even recall the closing cermony, so i didn't miss out on a lot.

Anyway closing cermony should be scrapped away as there would only be 2 teams there to witness the closing cermony, which is basically a waste.

pasag

RTDAS
I can't even recall the closing cermony, so i didn't miss out on a lot.

Anyway closing cermony should be scrapped away as there would only be 2 teams there to witness the closing cermony, which is basically a waste.
Yeah, it was pitch black and they showed about one minutes of it on TV here anyways, from memory.