• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commentary Thread

Niall

Also while I and quite a few here will stay up and watch a lot of cricket, it does seem way to much for overnight cricket. Yeah The Ashes is great, but really the other series, who in the UK will really sit up and watch them?

The t20s and ODI's maybe a little more time friendly, but still a lot of money.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
BT having the rights to Australian home games is surely different to Sky covering English away games?
This is a good point actually. Sky have rights to all England away games, even in places like the UAE where they don't have the rights to any other international cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Pretty sure they can both broadcast in that case.

Picking up the Australian rights is a good sign in terms of where they're going with their coverage.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Where do BT get all this money from? I will probably finally have to get it. I doubt it will be better coverage, Robbie Savage will probably be part of it.
Having a monopoly on telephone lines means they've got billions in the bank.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Well I assume they have the rights to all England away games. That might end before the next Ashes though, I dunno. It wouldn't be a big deal if they could both show it as most would choose Sky who are trusted quality in this case.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do sky have a deal for away games though? Surely they have to deal with each board individually.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Do sky have a deal for away games though? Surely they have to deal with each board individually.
They currently have deals to show all stuff in India, Australia, South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand. They don't for countries like Sri Lanka or the UAE, hence them not showing SL v India. But they still show every England away game, such as the upcoming UAE series. So for those countries they either only bother to get the rights for each individual series or they have a thing to show all England games, regardless of where they're played. I don't know which.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They currently have deals to show all stuff in India, Australia, South Africa, West Indies and New Zealand. They don't for countries like Sri Lanka or the UAE, hence them not showing SL v India. But they still show every England away game, such as the upcoming UAE series. So for those countries they either only bother to get the rights for each individual series or they have a thing to show all England games, regardless of where they're played. I don't know which.
Yeah I think they pay for the series

Things could have changed but in 06 the series in India was officially not being shown until a couple of weeks before because they hadn't come to terms with sky/local broadcasters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well for the away Ashes they do their own production instead of sticking the Sky logo in the corner of C9's feed that they do for all other Australian games.

Niall

Having a monopoly on telephone lines means they've got billions in the bank.
Fair point.

But still seems a lot of money for overnight cricket. I mean getting the IPL made so much sense, but who in the UK is going to be arsed to watch non Ashes test cricket at that time of the morning?