• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Compton Miller

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So who gets MOTS?

Smith is top run scorer but Root deserves it over him I'd say, even without my obvious bias

If we look at the bowlers, Broad probably the best of the lot but not exactly had a great Test here

Probably the first time since the award was introduced in 05 that the winner isn't completely obvious.

I would guess Root though, unless Broad takes a hatful to prevent Oz chasing down the 36 we set them

Pothas

Broad has been really good up until this match and Root has had just as a poor game here. I guess the thing in Root's favour is that in a series dominated by the ball he has been the best England bat by miles.

fredfertang

The man who's had the greatest influence on the series, without playing a single game, is Rhino - if he'd partnered Johnson and Starc rather than Hazlewood I dread to think what might have happened

Compton

I'm not necessarily saying they shouldn't, but it would be strange to give it to the batsman that was third highest scorer, no?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has to go to Root IMO. Broad hasn't been consistent enough over the whole series.
How has he not been consistent enough?

21@21.

Everyone was saying he was the best bowler in the series BEFORE Trent Bridge.

Last edited:

Johnners

The man who's had the greatest influence on the series, without playing a single game, is Rhino - if he'd partnered Johnson and Starc rather than Hazlewood I dread to think what might have happened
Australian would've still batted like complete amateurs in the 3rd and 4th tests.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Australian would've still batted like complete amateurs in the 3rd and 4th tests.
Only needed to make a difference at Cardiff in theory

Obviously this assumes the series then proceeds as it otherwise has which wouldn't be the case but

stephen

It has to be either Broad or Root. They didn't give the medal to Warne in '05 when he took 40 wickets and made 250 runs, so they won't give it to an Aussie here.

Normally you'd give the award to a bowler, but I think Root has been the difference in this series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It has to be either Broad or Root. They didn't give the medal to Warne in '05 when he took 40 wickets and made 250 runs, so they won't give it to an Aussie here.

Normally you'd give the award to a bowler, but I think Root has been the difference in this series.
you say that like they should have done...

Uppercut

Root for me. In a series full of players that only showed up when the going was good, Root scored runs in both tough batting conditions and when England were behind in the game.

stephen

you say that like they should have done...
Warne's performance in the '05 ashes was probably the best individual bowling performance I've ever seen in a test match series.

It really wasn't his fault that McGrath trod on a ball, Gillespie started bowling pies and Ponting decided to bowl first at Edgebaston.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Warne's performance in the '05 ashes was probably the best individual bowling performance I've ever seen in a test match series.

It really wasn't his fault that McGrath trod on a ball, Gillespie started bowling pies and Ponting decided to bowl first at Edgebaston.
Nor was it his fault that he wasn't the best player in the series

Best bowler? Sure.

Flintoff was the second best bowler and third best batsman statistically. He was also the difference between the sides. Warne's series was MOTS in 95% of series. Flintoff's was better.

402 runs @ 40.2 and 23 wickets @ 27 iirc. Fielded like a champion. Colossus.

Spark

Global Moderator
In fairness, you should count Warne's batting too, because that ended up being pretty significant compared to the other Australian batsmen...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In fairness, you should count Warne's batting too, because that ended up being pretty significant compared to the other Australian batsmen...
Oh I do. But he scored a similar amount of runs to Moeen in this series. Good for an 8 and on top of his wickets outstanding. But Freddie delivered frontline performances in both disciplines (and was probably our best fielder too)

Spark

Global Moderator
Here's a question: would you take Flintoff 05 over Johnson 13/14? I know Johnson picked up a similar amount of wickets to Warne (and was surplus to requirements with the bat, frankly), but like Flintoff 05 his impact isn't really fully captured by stats.