• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Battrick Cup (season 13)

Mahindinho

Should me and Tozz really be playing each other twice in the Cup? (unless in the final, of course). Seems like a stupid way to do things in a friendly cup.
Fair comment, but I laid down the plan a while ago -- semi-random QFs then SF and final using tennis-style matchups, so can't really go back on it now.

Next time, would people prefer this to be the case? It could be done either by manipulating (well, restricting's probably a better word) just the QF draw, or being prepared to manipulate every round to keep teams apart.

andyc

My PFL's should be as close to full as they've been all season, hopefully this holds me in good stead.
Actually struggling with them more now than I had been during the season, especially with a play-off coming up on Friday. Should be a good game though, been ages since we've played each other.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Been a pretty unpredictable tournament with no f00linz, liking it. Couldn't have two nicer blokes in the final. :wub:

Brackenhurst should be in for next season. :)

Mahindinho

Ponies and Central Disctricts to contest the final.
Congrats on the win, Andy...absolute thumping, in fact.

I'll write the usual brief summaries up when I get a chance...unless anyone else is willing to write something a bit more detailed?

Should be a good final. Magical Ponies, despite pulling the higher BT rating (when the cup was drawn), have the lower ranking (237 as opposed to 239) due to CD's previous cup exploits. So the final is...

MAGICAL PONIES vs CENTRAL DISTRICTS

andyc

Am happy to have it yours if you haven't already accepted, I've had plenty of home games this cup.

Mahindinho

Haha, have I played a home game yet?
I guess not! Just my luck to have the only potentially contentious pairing (rankings-wise) in the competition contesting the final 8-)

I thought I'd try to even the field a bit by giving lower-ranked teams home advantage wherever possible. If you disliked that (or liked it!), shout and we'll see about changing it next time...depending on whoever organises it, anyway.

Mahindinho

Could the weather be any worse!? GAWD MAHINDINHO, GET IT RIGHT WILL YA
*starts waving the rooster round his head* :ph34r:

Reports...

Magical Ponies vs Withington Wonderers
A rather knackered and demoralised but otherwise full-strength Withington side made the trip halfway across the world to Pleasure Town. The night before the game, McGregor, Sandwith and Fish enjoyed a couple of beers with old foes Canning and Tedstone...were they spiked?
Certainly, it was a rather limp-wristed performance from the Withington batting order, #7 Baba coming in with the score on just 60. Still, in partnership with Mulryne and then the tail, he managed to restore some respectability, his battling 68no (from 78 balls) dragging his team to 163ao from 40 overs.
Tedstone (10-0-40-4) had the better stats, but it was MOTM Canning (5-0-24-3) who ripped the heart out of the Withington batting order.
So to the 2nd innings, with Gibb and Illett roaring in...but to no avail. Despite an early wicket and then a John double in the 20th over, the Ponies cruised to their target with 11 overs to spare. Hurren and Terry made the bulk of the runs, but it was that man Canning who sealed the deal.
Magical Ponies win by 6 wickets

Alternative XI vs Central Districts
These two teams must be bored of facing each other now!
Back to the Alternative XI CG, where the pitch was green and the sun was shining. A fine place for a day's cricket. McIntosh, the home captain, duly won the toss and decided to have a bat. At 19/3, he wasn't looking so clever, but a HUGE stand from Handbury and centurion King corrected that.
It was only some fine bowling in the death overs that denied Alternative XI a 250+ total -- when Lambert leapt like a salmon to his left to finally have King caught-and-bowled, it was 218ao from just over 47 overs.
Despite a steady trickle wickets from captain McIntosh early on, Central Districts stayed well on top of the run rate, Keane heading serenely to his own century. Once Shaka joined him with the score 48/3, it all started looking rather easy.
Districts made it to 222 from 39 overs, and thence to the final. Keane (103no) was robbed of the MOTM trophy, a somewhat inebriated commentating team instead giving it to Shaka (86no and 1/44).
Central Districts win by 7 wickets