• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Names the Top TV Show of All Time: Countdown!

Shri

Band of Brothers garnering points in only 2 lists is the stunner for me.

Maybe its my teenage/early 20s nostalgia but it was an incredible series that I expected to be top 30 at least.
Think I was the other one who put it in :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Band of Brothers garnering points in only 2 lists is the stunner for me.

Maybe its my teenage/early 20s nostalgia but it was an incredible series that I expected to be top 30 at least.
Band of Brothers shouldn't really count as a TV show IMO. TV mini series are almost an entirely different kind of beast and Band of Brothers stands head and shoulders above them all.

Shady Slim

huge thanks to mags for fixing the formatting in the big table! would’ve been an onerous task

countdown of the placemakers will begin later today

just as an aside

i’m surprised there wasn’t more love for sons of anarchy which i thought was one of those tv shows everyone agrees is top tier (haven’t seen it myself though)

grecian

huge thanks to mags for fixing the formatting in the big table! would’ve been an onerous task

countdown of the placemakers will begin later today

just as an aside

i’m surprised there wasn’t more love for sons of anarchy which i thought was one of those tv shows everyone agrees is top tier (haven’t seen it myself though)
Likke Dexter and many others dragged on way beyond it's prime. I would have still put Dexter in, but Like Game of thrones, you can't have an ending that bad, and not have it sour everything that went before.

Shady Slim

coming in at nineteenth place with 43 points and getting featured on five lists...

Mad Men

we kick the meat of the countdown off with a period drama set in the swinging seedy sixties starring the talented jon hamm as ad man (mad man) don draper. the show takes us through the lives of the professional class in the 60s while going in to a bit of depth on the nature of american society at the time, the excess and the vigour, the vice and the culture. the show doesn't hold back in portraying the hedonistic underbelly of corporate life in the ad industry and the hard hitting sometimes depressing nature of the character's flaws adds that real edge to a world that is often shown in idealised fantasy: but it isn't all sunshine and roses for draper and his crew. the show doesn't hesitate from exploring the old school and pale/male/stale nature of the professional workplace at the time but drew some criticism for having the male characters seemingly get away with their adultery and their vice while not affording the same leeway to the female characters. on the other hand, unfortunately, that's probably not too far off how the sixties were.

on the other, other hand - we're up to three hands now - the struggle of the women in the show in a man's world has been critically praised. mad men also racked up the emmys and golden globes on awards nights, though that's not surprising given the academy types love shows that fellate their desire for nostalgia and portrayal of their own corner of american society. all in all, mad men is regarded as one of the best shows of all time - 19th, specifically to the cricketweb critics, and earns that place through a cutting edge and historical authenticity lacking in many similar productions.

Last edited:

Niall

Surprised at how few mentioned the shield apart from me. Do people not think it holds up? I've not gone back and rewatched it in ages so idk.
It's great especially how it ends.

Timothy Olyphant if he somehow reads this will understandably be perplexed, starred in Deadwood and Justified and somehow not in the top 20.:unsure:

vcs

Thread title is a bit misleading. Isn't there an actual TV show called Countdown? Or maybe the pun was intended.

Line and Length

Thread title is a bit misleading. Isn't there an actual TV show called Countdown? Or maybe the pun was intended.
It was a TV programme in Australia. "Molly" Meldrum hosted a show that featured pop acts, album reviews and interviews.