• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWXI Selection Panel

Loony BoB

marc71178 said:
But that's only 4 votes, and goes against everything previously discussed.
Actually, if you include the vice captain, that's six votes.

As for making changes to the previously agreed consitution... well, yes, that's what the whole idea of this thread is, if I'm right. Why make a thread saying that nothing has changed? :p

Last edited:

age_master

Loony BoB said:
I think the requirement of the PA Rep needing to not be playing for the CWXI would be on par with saying that the selection panel should not be "related" to the CWXI players, if you get my drift. I think it's a silly rule - the PA Rep should be the person that would do the best job in speaking on behalf of the players. So long as they aren't already in the selection panel, of course.

PA Rep is outside of the XI, captain and VS are inside the XI. Gives an outside independence to the panel from a players perspective i think was the main idea.

Loony BoB

marc71178 said:
Board of control is 1 vote.

Vice captain isn't really an official position is it?
It can be if you say "this player is the vice captain for this tour". Then it's official.

As for the co-chairmen counting as a single vote... that's pretty stupid, isn't it? :p They're two people. What if they disagree?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
It can be if you say "this player is the vice captain for this tour". Then it's official.
So how is the squad named then? The vice captain can't be named till the squad is named, so how can they have a voice?

Loony BoB said:
As for the co-chairmen counting as a single vote... that's pretty stupid, isn't it? :p They're two people. What if they disagree?
The board has had 1 vote for a long time now, and it's not been a problem with them...

Loony BoB

And again, that's why this thread is here, marc. To allow for reconsideration. Not to repeat what was previously agreed over and over.

EDIT: That was in reply to your first post. As for the second, I still think it's silly. And my question stands - what if they disagree? If Vimes wants player A but Liam wants player B, who does their vote go to?

age_master

this whole thing is about potential change on the panel so if people would like to see Camps and Vimes with 2 separate votes i at to hear about it (ofcourse if people object to that i want to hear about that too)

Mr Mxyzptlk

To clarify, I suggested the original format that Andrew (Garven) posted - two CWBCC votes. It's just a suggestion, but I don't exactly see what the drawback of it is. Two CWBCC votes doesn't equate a majority, so I don't see why the players should be against it. It still keeps the democratic process very much in balance.

chaminda_00

Considering Neil has a say in the selection at present, why not give him an official regardless whether he is vice captain or captain or not. It gives you four selectors plus the captain and coach which is on par with other team.

It seems that one of the reason that the board only have one vote in the past, was cusLord didn't really express his vote, so only Liam had a say.

FaaipDeOiad

The reason the board only had one vote was to keep the majority power in the hands of the players, I'd say.

Regardless, I don't see any problem with two CWBCC votes, and one for the PA rep, the captain and the coach. Five selectors is plenty really, whatever might have been agreed to in the past. If necessary the vice captain can be included, of course.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
It seems that one of the reason that the board only have one vote in the past, was cusLord didn't really express his vote, so only Liam had a say.
Erm no, that's far from the reason!!!!

IMO the selection committee would work better with fewer people involved.

As a though, how about there is a tour / squad selecting committee of 3, and then when on tour/at the ground, the captain/coach or something takes the team on from there? I believe that is more close to how it works IRL?