• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cyber-bullying

trundler

Let's be honest, everyone who has used an internet forum has spent a significant portion of their time being dicks to people they'll hopefully never be within punching distance of. Everyone says things they wouldn't say to a person face to face. Where do you draw the line? What is bullying and what is trolling?

PS: this may have been inspired by recent events.

trundler

Nah I've been chasing some idiot around, bringing up his woeful views on a subject whenever he says something to discredit him and he pleaded me to stop unless I wanted to chase him off the internet. Hmm.

Daemon

I used to spend a fair bit of time on CW doing this to weldone and hb. I always felt I was just trolling but it was probably bullying.

Shri

Spoke to hb on discord recently and exchanged numbers. Putting a voice to a name helps humanize them imo and he seems respectful, decent etc.

Most problems, personality issues etc online could be solved if we saw each other as actual people with feelings etc and then everything becomes banter and whatnot

trundler

Basically some privileged expat asshole who otherwise claims to be a progressive has awful, out of touch views on the experience of ex Muslims in Pakistan based on his privileged upbringing. Took that a little personally so I've been derailing every single thing he says lel.

GoodAreasShane

Nah I've been chasing some idiot around, bringing up his woeful views on a subject whenever he says something to discredit him and he pleaded me to stop unless I wanted to chase him off the internet. Hmm.
Protip: the bigger song and dance somebody makes about leaving a site/group/forum the less likely they are to actually leave for anything longer than a couple of days tops

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Look I'm not here to speak on anyone's behalf. But I deal with the consequences of bullying quite a bit due to the nature of my job and in almost every incident the offending party was just having fun without meaning to cause any malice. There's always been tons of posting on CW that I just assumed was ok because surely the people involved were all in on some joke I was missing. Once you realize that's not the case it becomes clear just how little self-awareness some of you have about what you post and how it can and is taken by the targets of those posts.
My thoughts from a few months ago.

trundler

This is a bit of an r/AITA moment but I'm also generally interested in where people draw the line

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Basically some privileged expat asshole who otherwise claims to be a progressive has awful, out of touch views on the experience of ex Muslims in Pakistan based on his privileged upbringing. Took that a little personally so I've been derailing every single thing he says lel.
Wait, not on CW right?

Shri

If you have interacted with them through VMs, off forum etc, I don't see how it could be a problem but you should both be on the same page.

I seriously don't like ****s who act familiar with you when you have not spoken or interacted in a long time except for some exceptions.

OverratedSanity

I used to spend a fair bit of time on CW doing this to weldone and hb. I always felt I was just trolling but it was probably bullying.
Nah, Facebook. Have always felt the abuse HB cops is too much ftr.
Agreed. I did it too (and probably still do unknowingly at times) and I regret it. Was also needlessly unpleasant to Zinzan/pratters etc, so this is my unreserved apology to all of them.

And to answer a sledger question in a thread that is now unfortunately closed, this is why I get upset when you post about hb or AN.

Last edited:

trundler

I've jumped on the HB/zorax insult bandwagon for the sake of it too and that was a crap thing to do.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Me and hb have had a few ding dongs over the years but I think it's history now.