• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DDD - Voting

Line and Length

Below you will find the complete line-up of 11 teams together with some summaries and stats. As these were optional, it is hoped that the XIs all speak for themselves. All the line-ups certainly look impresseive.

As usual, particpants are invited to allocate votes from 11 down to 2 (excluding their own side). Non-participants can vote 11 down to 1 for all teams.

Ankitj

Marcus Trescothick
Tom Latham
Younis Khan
Graeme Pollock
Cheteshwar Pujara
Allan Border (c) [5]
Andy Flower (wk)
Peter Pollock [3]
Anil Kumble [4]
Dennis Lillee [1]
Waqar Younis [2]

Pretty good team that. Decent openers. Middle order is beastly, combining dourness of Younis, Pujara and Border with flair of G Pollock and Flower. Good luck bowling to those 5. Pace attack includes 3 pace bowlers all averaging under 25. Anil Kumble a capable spinner with lot of experience of bowling in different conditions. If he gets a hint of turn or a cracking surface, will wreak havoc.

ataraxia

1. V Sehwag / pt
2. WM Lawry /
3. KS Williamson* /
4. IVA Richards /
5. AM Rahane /
6. CL Hooper / o
7. AC Gilchrist / +
8. DL Vettori o /
9. DW Steyn o
10. RGD Willis o
11. J Snow o

Fuller Pilch

Geoff Boycott
Roy Fredericks
Martin Crowe (c)
Sachin Tendulkar
Mahela Jayawardene
Shakib Al Hasan 5
BJ Watling (wk)
Vernon Philander 1
Pat Cummins 2
Colin Croft 3
Muttiah Muralitharan 4

Pretty happy with this side. Could've say picked Michael Clark (or Hussey) at 6 instead of Shakib, but went for the extra bowling to ensure I had a potent side which could win anywhere in the world. Having both the leading run scorer and wicket taker in test cricket obviously helps.

Strong and varied opening pair. Decided on Crowe at 3 due to his technique and success against elite pace bowlers such as the WIndies and the 2 Ws. Sachin is Sachin (enough said) and Jayawardene has the highest ever score by a right hander in test cricket and forms a strong 3-5. The second best allrounder of the 21st century is at 6, while Watling at 7 provides incredible support in case of a collapse, can see off the 2nd new ball, or simply grind the opposition down . Cummins, Philander, and Croft are a quality trio with averages of 21, 22, and 23 respectively, Murali is the GOAT bowler and Shakib is a quality SLAer, and the side will be captained by the creative and inventive Martin David Crowe.

Honestbharani

Eddie Barlow (7)
Mark Richardson (10)
Azhar Ali (9)
Aravinda De Silva (6)
Doug Walters (4)
Quinton De Kock (wk)
Angelo Matthews (8)
Mushtaq Ahmed (5)
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Joel Garner (3)
Bruce Reid (2)

Just about everyone can bowl.. Great bowlers in Marshall and Reid with the new ball, followed by the greatest 3rd seamer in the world, Garner. Leg spin from Mushy, supported by Aravinda on pitches that take turn. Can also get in decent part time spin from Azhar Ali and Mark Richardson. Barlow, Walters and Matthews can all provide quality medium pace in conditions that suit them and otherwise chip in with a few overs to rest the main bowlers. Batting is pretty awesome with Barlow and Richardson being the very nuggety type of openers that will be difficult to dislodge for most bowling attacks, followed by quintessential #3 style batsman in Azhar Ali. Aravinda and Walters will come in next and provide aggression to the batting line up and a lot of exciting strokeplay and so will QdK at 7. Angelo will slot in between and play the role required by the team - either as an aggressor or as an accumulator or just as a stonewaller.

JOJOXI

Sir Gordon Greenidge (7558 runs @ 44.72)
Chris Gayle (7214 runs @ 42.18, 73 wkts at 42.73)
Rahul Dravid (13288 runs @ 52.31)
David Gower (8231 runs @ 44.25)
Steve Waugh (10927 runs @ 51.06, 92wkts @ 37.44) (C)
Ben Stokes (4056 runs @ 36.54, 147 wkts @ 32.68)
Brendon McCullum (6453 runs @ 38.64) (WK)
Shaun Pollock (3781 runs @ 32.31, 421 wkts @ 23.11)
Wasim Akram (2898 runs @ 22.64, 414 wkts @ 23.62)
Mitchell Starc (1515 runs @ 22.27, 244 wkts @ 26.97)
Bishan Bedi (266 wkts @ 28.71)

Pretty happy with this side, early picks in the latter rounds not so much in the early rounds I am perhaps missing a top class number 4 batsman but 2 openers who have been successful playing attacking cricket, if they get going they could really put opposition on the backfoot. I think Gayle's Test credentials are underrated and Greenidge speaks for himself. If with their aggressive style one of them were dismissed cheaply you have the rock of Rahul Dravid at 3. Gower a stylish batsman at 4 not a Lara or Tendulkar etc. but still very capable and Steve Waugh up there wiith the best number 5s around I'd argue. Ben Stokes a solid allrounder at 6 a nice 4th seamer (Waugh as a 5th one if needed too). McCullum can explode and play with freedom at 7 and I'd like to think the tail is pretty strong with the bat so even if top order failed - McCullum, Pollock, Akram and Starc could get handy runs between them. Very good spinner in Bishan Bedi after Warne and Murali one of better spinners in post-war cricket. Pollock an underrated seamer I think - part of one of the great bowling partnerships and he'll be a great partner for Wasim Akram. Mitchell Starc an aggressive option too and with Stokes and Waugh can be given a bit more leeway to be an aggressive bowler with relatively short spells. Gayle as a 2nd spinner too if needed.

Kingkallis
CricZo XI

Graeme Smith / © (SA, 2000s)
Matthew Hayden / (AUS, 1990s)
Ian Chappell / (AUS, 1960s)
Kumar Sangakkara / (SL, 2000s)
Inzamam ul Haq / (PAK, 1990s)
Jonny Bairstow / + (ENG, 2010s)
Kapil Dev o / (IND, 1970s)
Chris Cairns o / (NZ, 1980s)
Derek Underwood o (ENG, 1960s)
Michael Holding o (WI, 1970s)
Curtly Ambrose o (WI, 1980s)

Ian Chappell did a Sachin and refused to bat at any other position so Sangakkara, the legend said he'd be happy to bat at No.4.

Bowling unit:

Curtly Ambrose
Michael Holding
Kapil Dev
Derek Underwood
Chris Cairns

Line & Length

1. Sunil Gavaskar 10,122 runs @ 51.1 - 34 centuries
2. Dennis Amiss 3,612 runs @ 46.3 - 11 centuries
3. Marnus Labuschagne - 1459 runs @ 63.4 - 4 centuries
4. Dean Jones - 3,631 runs @ 46.6 - 11 centuries
5. Jacques Kallis - 13,289 runs @ 55.4 - 45 centuries; 292 wickets @ 32.6
6. Clive Lloyd (capt.) - 7,515 runs @ 46.7 - 19 centuries
7. A.B. de Villiers (w/k) 8,765 runs @ 50.7 - 22 centuries
8. Ravindra Jadeja 1,869 runs @ 35.3 1 century; 213 wickets @ 24.6
9. Andy Roberts 202 wickets @ 25.6
10. Shoaib Akhtar 178 wickets @ 25.7
11. Jimmy Anderson 584 wickets @ 26.8

The opening pair included one regarded as an ATG. Both regularly scored well against some impressive attacks.
Labuschagne at #3 has huge potential and already has made a great start to his career. Jones comes in at #4 - a slot where he averages over 70.
The middle order comprises 3 fine batsmen with each offering additional skills - a first or second change bowler, an astute captain and a wicketkeeper.
The pace trio consists of one of the fastest bowlers ever backed by two proven performers. They are backed by the all-rounder Kallis.
Left-arm orthodox spinner Jadeja offers further all-round credentials.
If a 6th bowler was required, captain Lloyd has shown he can offer tidy spells (economy rate 2.17).

Red Hill CC

Graham Gooch (1970s, Eng)
Mark Taylor (1980s, Aus) *
Ricky Ponting (1990s, Aus)
Joe Root (2010s, Eng)
Mohammed Yousuf (1990s, Pak)
Ross Taylor (2000s, NZ)
MS Dhoni (2000s, Ind) +
Mike Procter (1960s, SA)
Richard Hadlee (1970s, NZ)
Kasigo Rabada (2010s, SA)
BS Chandrasekhar (1960s, Ind)

Pretty happy with this. Seriously talented batting line-up without any duds, and when you have Procter and Hadlee at 8 and 9, good luck bowling us out for under 450.

Bowling attack is seriously good, Hadlee, Procter and Rabada supported by the best of the Indian quartet imo. No legit 5th bowling option but Gooch was a capable medium pacer early in his career, and Root can throw down some darts.

Slip cordon sorted with Tubby, Ponting and Ross, and the team will be capably led by Tubby, with Gooch, Ponting, MoYo, Root and Hadlee providing support, all having been their nation's skippers.

Teuton

Barry Richards (SA, 70s)
Gautam Gambhir (Ind, 00s)
Zaheer Abbas (Pak, 60s)
Steve Smith (Aus, 10s)
Richie Richardson (WI, 80s)
Ian Botham (Eng, 70s)
Denis Lindsay (SA, 60s)
Andew Flintoff (Eng, 90s)
Ravi Ashwin (Ind, 10s)
Glenn McGrath (Aus, 90s)
Courtney Walsh (WI, 80s) c

I think i got spooked after picking two #11s in my first 5 picks so i overcompensated with bowling allrounders for batting depth. So i have 5 great wicket-takers, 8 attacking stroke-players plus Ashwin and a team that could succeed under any conditions. And absolute guns in McGrath, Smith, Botham & Richards.

Trundler

John Edrich
Alistair Cook
Greg Chappell
Javed Miandad
Seymour Nurse
Mohammad Azharuddin
Jeff Dujon
Shane Warne
Neil Wagner
Shane Bond
Allan Donald

weldone/Andrew B

David Warner
Glenn Turner
Hashim Amla
Brian Lara
Virat Kohli
Imran Khan*
Alan Knott+
Heath Streak
Graeme Swann
Jeff Thomson
Ian Bishop

honestbharani

I think Anil1405 is looking for a poll where he can vote. Guess this wil be a thread where we vote through our posts.

ankitj

Ataraxia: 4
Fuller Pilch: 3
Honestbharani: 2
JOJOXI: 9
KingKallis: 7
Line & Length: 5
Red Hill: 11
Teuton: 10
Trundler: 8
Weldone/AndrewB: 6

Phew! This took me 30 minutes. I will prefer voting for top 3 to ranking all teams. When voting top teams I can quickly eliminate weak ones. When ranking I have to scroll up and down several times because I have to worry even about relative ranking of bottom 5 teams.

Last edited:

AndrewB

11: Teuton
10: kingkallis
9: JOJOXI
8: Red Hill
7: Line and Length
6: Fuller Pilch
5: ankitj
4: ataraxia
3: honestbharani
2: trundler

Teuton

Kingkallis - 11
weldone/AndrewB - 10
Fuller Pilch - 9
ankitj - 8
JOJOXI - 7
Red Hill - 6
ataraxia - 5
Line & Length - 4
Trundler - 3
honestbharani - 2

Line and Length

11 - kingkallis
10 - weldone/AndrewB
9 - Teuton
8 - Fuller Pilch
7 - Red Hill
6 - ataraxia
5 - Trundler
4 - ankitj
3 - JOJOXI
2 - honestbharani

That was tough! I ended up allocating points to various aspects of each side and 4 points covered almost the entire field. So many could be interchanged in my final order.

I'll give this another week before calculating final placings.

Fuller Pilch

11 Weldone/Andrew B
10 Red Hill
9 Teuton
8 King Kallis
7 JOJO
6 L & L
5 Ankjit
4 ataraxia
3 Trundler
2 honestbharani

Could throw a blanket over most of the teams - very close.

Thanks Line and Length for running this.

kingkallis

ankitj - 11
Fuller Pilch - 10
RedHill - 9
Teuton - 8
weldone/AndrewB - 7
ataraxia - 6
JOJOXI - 5
Line & Length - 4
Trundler - 3
honestbharani - 2

honestbharani

ankit - Good side. Don't like Pujara at 3. And bowling attack a bit weak.

ataraxia - AWesome side. Should end as one of the best in the draft.

fuller pitch - pretty varied attack and a good batting line up, just something seems to be missing from being truly awesome.

jojo - amazing side. Would love to watch this one play. All kinds of options for all kinds of conditions.

kk - great side but the 6-8 is a bit of a soft underbelly.

l&l - good side but not sold on Jadeja and Labuschagne ever getting the job done in spinning conditions.

redhill - great bowling attack. Not sure of #s 5-7 though. Upper side of the middling sides in the draft IMO.

teuton - Not very sure of Flintoff playing as a bowling allrounder but otherwise, a very solid side. Top tier for sure.

trundler - Good side, eclectic but in comparison to some others in this draft, rather lowkey.

weldone/andrewB - Great batting but lacks second spinner and attack can get a bit samey at times.

My rankings -

ataraxia - 11
jojo - 10
teuton - 9
redhill - 8
weldone/andrewB - 7
fullerpitch - 6
kk - 5
l&l - 4
ankit - 3
trundler - 2

trundler