• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Describe your feelings during the last 30 minutes of the 2019 WC Final

Bahnz

Just absurd swings in emotion, especially from the last 2 overs onwards. Joy when Boult took the catch. Misery when it became clear he'd stood on the rope. Joy when Archer was bowled and Boult bowled a couple of perfect yorkers, depression when Stokes hit the next ball for six, outrage with the 4 overthrows, a glimmer of hope when the next ball resulted in a single, relief when the game went to a super over, misery as the runs piled up for England, jubilation when Jimmy hit his 6, horrified suspense as it came down to 2 off 1 ball, and then desolation at the end. Was genuinely on the verge of tears and immensely proud of the team at the same time. Never felt anything like it in my life.

Last edited:

Bijed

Cautious hope which had been building over the course of the Stokes-Buttler partnership, largely snuffed out when Buttler departed. From there on in, emotions were replaced by a state of pure nerves and pounding heart, with moments such as Boult stepping on the rope and the deflection releasing a brief spike of pure emotion, but also deflating in between when Boult bowled those 2 dots first up, then later when Archer began with a wide. After Neesham's six and the next few balls, I actually just didn't feel anything anymore, even going into the final delivery, but a few seconds later that all changed, probably my most exuberant outburst for years.

Lillian Thomson

The 6 which Boult caught and tossed back didn't actually cause me any palpitations because it happened quite quickly and the nearest New Zealand fielder who caught the throw back immediately signalled 6.

Athlai

Not Terrible
My dog awoke me around the 40th over.

Dog: Athlai, the Cricket World Cup final is on, and it looks like it could have a close finish?
I check my phone.
Athlai: Silly dog, England have 6 wickets in hand and are the most vaunted batting team in the world! This isn't as close as you think it is. Though I suppose it was tricky to bat on in the first innings and their required run rate is quite high. I will get out of bed and watch it with you.
Dog: ok

41st over - 3 runs - cool but we really need a wicket
42nd over - 4 runs - wow great work Neesham, it's now over 8 an over, England will be feeling some pressure here
43rd over - 6 runs
44th over - 6 runs
45th over - wicket and 7 runs - holy **** 9 runs an over required and Buttler just got out. We are going to win this.
46th over - 7 runs - they now need 10 an over.
47th over - wicket and 5 runs - holy ****ing **** this is the greatest world cup final of all time
48th over - 10 runs - *panic increases* 24 from 12 required, 1 over from Neesham to come
49th over - 9 runs and 2 wickets including the Boult stepping on the boundary six - hype and emotions 10/10
49.1 - no run - we've won
49.2 - no run - holy ****ing **** we've won
49.3 - SIX oh my god. No. Please no
49.4 - SIX (overthrows) *undescrible sinking feeling, bewilderment and grief, the most tremendously unlucky and unforeseen jammy bullshit that could possibly occur in a cricket game, and it happens in the world cup final with 9 runs needed from 3 balls). We have lost. Somehow, someway, the fates have doomed us.
49.5 - 1 run, run out - **** THAT BULLSHIT, WE ARE IN THIS, COME ON BOULT COME ON
49.6 - 1 run - tie !?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!! AHHHHHHHH SUPER OVERS?

Dog sleeping on my lap is awoken as I have to stand up and grab a drink.

Pre Super over England - England are favoured here, they're much better at this kind of striking than we are, Boult hasn't had his best day. Maybe we should have chosen Ferguson?
Super over 1 - ah **** 15. We're almost no hope here
Pre Super over NZ - Neesham was the right choice, and Guptill? Hmm, I'd have had Kane come out and Guppy as the bloke who comes in if we lose a wicket.
Super over 2
0.1 wide - holy ****, is Archer going to choke? It was bold to play the young bloke in such a high pressure situation
0.1 - 2 runs
0.2 - Six - Jimmy Neesham is the greatest cricketer in the world. That was the sweetest six I've seen in my entire life.
0.3 - 2 runs - I
0.4 - 2 runs - Am
0.5 - 1 run - a
Pre final ball - Mess
0.6 - :(

Post - pride and sadness

Cat: Holy **** dude, let me the **** in the house it's cold outside.

Burgey

As a neutral supporter I think my overwhelming emotions were firstly admiration at such a close game and especially NZ’s defending. Then as the last three or four overs drew out and I was flicking every ball between Wimbledon and the tennis, I thought once Djokovic won that there’s no justice in sport and England would win because being evil, smarmy shitbags doesn’t preclude you from getting a result.

Once it got down to the last 8-10 balls, I was almost disbelieving. Same with the super overs. Lay there thinking I’d finally seen something to surpass the 99 semi final.

Afterwards was sad for NZ. They were the better side for most of the match, couldn’t catch a break and still didn’t lose.

A few days later and I still can’t believe it tbh. Every now and again sport tosses up moments where you watch a replay, and even though you know what’s going to happen or you’ve seen it before, you still lean forward and watch again like it’s live, and something different might happen. This was one of those times. Much like the WI-NZ last ball earlier in the tourney.

Amazing game. It’s literally impossible for any LO match to beat it. It might be equaled but literally can’t be beaten for a close contest. Quite something.

Burgey

Actually, in hindsight, I think game two of the 1999 Singer Bilateral Trophy Series in Sharjah was better than this match, given all internationals are apparently of equal importance.

Last edited:

stephen

I literally put myself to bed against my better judgment at the 30 over mark because, you know, work.

I started watching the England innings the same way I started watching the Australian innings - as soon as it's a foregone conclusion, I'm off to bed. I couldn't split the teams at the 30 over mark but not could I survive on less sleep than I got. Woke up dreaming that England had won and didn't want to check the score until I was mentally prepared for the final score.

I could not believe what had transpired.

The first 80 overs were thoroughly entertaining. I'm not sure my heart could have survived the last 22. I don't know how the partisans handled it.

Flem274*

123/5
from the england innings in general, some moments:

**** OFF ERASMUS FOR ****S SAKE YOURE ON THE TAKE ****
YESSSSSS MR DARCY YOU SEND THAT FTB WHERE HE BELONGS
oh dear joe root, oh dear, tight collar?
the gay avenger and james bond villain have this. this is an atg partnership
yesssss catch **** off buttler you are out, you are out. how tight is your collar?
yesssss boulty caaatch oh, oh no. all good, still got this
the ****, the actual ****? jesus god is with england here. god hates nz cricket team. how can that joke rebound off the bat screw us? england massive favourites
3 needed off 2. this is done. wait, boulty? BOULTY BOULTY BOULTY YOU CLUTCH BOWLING SEXY THING
archer looks scared
i dont like close games
YESSSSSS YESSSSS THATS TWO THATS THE BEST TIMING HE'S HAD ALL TOURNEY WAIT NO ITS TOO WELL TIMED NO NO RUN RUNNNNNN

*time passes*

yes hi can i have a world cup please?

Burgey

I was re-watching the highlights with Mrs Burgey and we were of course disgusted that fate conspired so cruelly against NZ. But we were talking about how deflating it is to lose such a close game.

I was thinking out loud and said I'd rather get slapped around like a red-headed step child as Australia did on Thursday than lose a nail biter in circumstances like that. Mrs Burgey agreed, and speaking from experience (albeit at obviously a much lower level) losing really close finals burns more than if you can sort of shrug your shoulders and say you were properly hammered by a better side on the day.

What do the Kiwi supporters think, given you guys were obviously so invested in the outcome?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na no way IMO. I'm proud of the team and though the pain is more acute, there is a feeling that we proved we deserved to be there, and that we could win. If we got trounced again then it's even more depressing.

_Ed_

I find that a bit hard to answer, because the hammering we got in 2015 was so demoralising. Obviously I wanted us to win this one, but even if we couldn't do that, I hoped we'd at least show up and compete.

I certainly got my wish there, but the way it played out was a new kind of pain.

Flem274*

123/5
it took god and terrible umpiring for england to finally beat us. i just feel motivated and cant wait to watch the team in action again. ive never wanted us to utterly dominate a summer like i do now.

i've also been watching 58 all out on repeat.

Flem274*

123/5
oops, one pregame observation i made is archer didn't know or just didn't sing the anthem

*leaves lit match*

he's going to absolutely cop it from the hamilton crowd if the sooking to england because west indies didn't pick him story gets around.

Lillian Thomson

Although it's not judgable (is that a word) I wonder if New Zealand fans feel worse because of the feeling of being shafted. Had the overthrows not happened but Stokes just hit the winning or tieing (is that a word) runs off the final two balls it would still have been gutting (is that a word) but would it have felt better or worse?

mr_mister

I felt a wide range of emotions leading up to the Boult boundary step catch thing to all the crazy events of the final over

I expected a super over to dissapoint a little despite how epic it was to be having one, and when England batted first I felt NZ couldn't get anywhere near 15. So when Neesham spanked that six I was elated

I felt a sense of flatness before the final ball was bowled. Had a feeling Guptill was gonna play the percentage shot instead of the big hit and when he couldn't get back for 2 I was disappointed. I know anyone would celebrate like that in England's shoes but all I could think was 'you've only tied the game you haven't won it properly' and was sort of annoyed there wasn't some mutual acknowledment of that from everyone there. All I can say is lucky that the home crowd benefited from this rule - and lucky that it wasn't India or Pakistan copping it as I don't think their fans would have been as gracious during the presentation!

stephen

I was re-watching the highlights with Mrs Burgey and we were of course disgusted that fate conspired so cruelly against NZ. But we were talking about how deflating it is to lose such a close game.

I was thinking out loud and said I'd rather get slapped around like a red-headed step child as Australia did on Thursday than lose a nail biter in circumstances like that. Mrs Burgey agreed, and speaking from experience (albeit at obviously a much lower level) losing really close finals burns more than if you can sort of shrug your shoulders and say you were properly hammered by a better side on the day.

What do the Kiwi supporters think, given you guys were obviously so invested in the outcome?
How did you feel watching the Mark Coyne try? Compare that to how you felt every season for the 8 in a row. Which felt worse? I guess a numbness would have set in after about 2009, but try to think back to how it feels.

Because origin 3 was far less painful than origin 2 this year. At least you can potentially say that some 50/50 calls went against you in a close game. When you're spanked it's so demoralizing.

RossTaylorsBox

Honestly I think the craziness of it all softened the disappointment afterwards.

Still hope England sinks into the ocean though.