• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni Criticism

Burgey

He is a good captain.. He always was and he still is.

But he is a defensive captain... This tournament has been his worst by quite a long way in terms of captaincy and just like batsmen or bowlers or fielders making mistakes, he has made a few (more than a few, perhaps) as the captain. Hopefully he will learn from this and get better.

But I repeat this again. He is and seems he always will be a defensive captain. Inspite of all the talent India have got, I just dont see us being #1 for any real length of time with that attitude from the captain. But then again, given the number of changes to the way the game is being played these days, it might just be good for India to have a defensive minded guy as the captain.

I think Duffer hit the nail on the head. He is paid heaps, he is praised heaps when doing well, often undeservingly and the flip side is when he doesn't do well, he is gonna get such stuff his way. As long as it is only headlines and print instead of hurting his house etc.., he has just got to bear it. Even I wish we had more balanced media but this is the way it is and you gotta learn to take it.
The true measure of Dhoni's captaincy will come when he's in a test and the opposition is 2-350 or 400, not in a T20 when things get away so quickly and a captain has to react in a ridiculous time frame or risk penalty.

I think they're being too harsh on him for this outcome.

I do, however, think a negative captain can cause a team not to become number one, but only in circumstances where the race is a close one and a different attitude to captaincy is the difference between, say drawing test or pushing for wins, and thus making a difference in rankings etc.

Uppercut

Dhoni is a terribly defensive captain (watch for the next time a batsman hits a few 4s and I guarantee he'll send the fieldsmen to all parts) but he wont stop India from becoming no. 1 - retirements and a lack of quality will
I think he's quite balanced myself. Particularly in tests, he'll not do the Ricky Ponting and spread the field and hope for the best when the batsman is on 20. He'll always have a new plan to get them out.

The famous 8-1 field is the great example people use, but in context the batsmen were well and truly on top of India before he tried that. And even at that, it was in a match that India only needed to tie. Even when he tried it in the game against New Zealand, he seemed to have a plan of sorts, and when it didn't come off he reverted to a new one the next morning and almost won the game by bringing on Tendulkar.

Smith

Banned
He made some elementary captiancy errors yesterday, Jadeja being promoted and not bowling out RP & Zaheer the most obvious ones. However it wasn't Dhoni who gave away five wides off the penultimate ball or who played the hook shot like a prep school first year afflicted with some kind of palsy. What's the quote; failure is an orphan but success has a thousand fathers?

Dhoni & Yousuf very nearly won the thing for India despite everything.
A bit harsh on those wides as they were atleast 2 feet outside leg stump fired in at 100 kmph. Actually it went straight to short fine leg who indeed had slow clumsy legs which let in that for a boundary.

Arjun

He made some elementary captiancy errors yesterday, Jadeja being promoted and not bowling out RP & Zaheer the most obvious ones. However it wasn't Dhoni who gave away five wides off the penultimate ball or who played the hook shot like a prep school first year afflicted with some kind of palsy. What's the quote; failure is an orphan but success has a thousand fathers?

Dhoni & Yousuf very nearly won the thing for India despite everything.
There was so much going wrong in plans=
  • Porous field settings that can help Owais Shah take two runs in the infield.
  • Dropping one of your best T20 players (first RP, then Irfan) for all the matches.
  • Casting T20 misfits and rank outsiders in key roles.
  • Not keeping enough catching fielders in the opening overs.
  • Keeping Yuvraj, Yusuf and himself way down.
  • Opening with Rohit Sharma.
  • Keeping Yusuf Pathan out of action largely.
  • Repeatedly trying to override a bowler's demand in field placings
Apart from that, he seems to have become a club captain, with some players favoured more than the rest, in addition to his rather defensive mindset. He can learn a lot from Dravid's term as captain, who could work with anyone and take extreme risks.

Arjun

An apology is too much if you ask me. Why should he apologise to the fans? What does he owe them? He's just a cricketer. Sometimes you're just not good enough.
I don't think the fans hate Dhoni or any player as much as the rude media motormouths.

ret

Dhoni made a few mistakes but as long as he learns from the experience it's fine .... even if Ind had won against Eng, I don't think we would have made it to the final with the kind of cricket we were playing i.e. lackluster

What disappointed me was Dhoni's batting in the game against Eng. I would have preferred if we had been bundled out of 130 in trying to play big shots and going for a win in a KO game. The score card says we lost by 3 runs but anyone who watched the game will tell you that Ind only managed to reduce the margin of loss and never looked like pressing the button for a win

They kept taking singles, didn't do anything to force bowlers to change their length and so on. In the last over, with like 18 runs needed, Dhoni should have asked Yusuf to take charge rather than making him run a single and then giving the strike back to him again

It was disappointing stuff but hopefully the players would pick their games up!

honestbharani

100% agreement with this. The 8-1 field alone is proof of his defensive mindset, but don't get me wrong, defensive captaincy is sometimes better than aggressive ott captaincy. He got a couple of strategies wrong in this tournament and he has rightfully apologised to the fans. While he gets things done, people call it luck, and when it does not work, people call him ****.

Double standards.
I am not sure whom you are referring to, but I have always maintained and I did so in my post here, that he is a defensive captain and that being a defensive captain is not necessarily a bad thing.

But I do think to stay on as the best side in the world, you can't do that with a defensive frame of mind, which is what Dhoni brings to the table. I see INdia beating other sides often and BECOMING contenders and even being the number 1 side, but staying on at the top... I just don't see that happening with his current style of captaincy. Again I say this: he is a good captain, I just don't think he is the one who is going to keep us as #1 in the world, even if he does make us the #1 team, at least for a series or two.

jondavluc

Well since everyone is baying for Dhoni's blood today.

The problems I have with Dhoni as Captain is as follows
-Very Quick to go on the defensive and thinks he has to do everything.
-He fidgets too much.He is always trying too many different things
-Innovative while is good I can't help but think he is innovating for the sack of it sometimes.
- Too many bad excuses when his teams loses.

I'm sorry hate to sound like I'm psychology student but I think most of it stems from the media and the hype of a pretty boy with good looks who is also possibly intelligent having a some good results against some tough competition.People have hyped him up way too much (He has been ok not great but ok.A lot of his results were because he was in the honeymoon period that a lot of captains have at the start of their captaincy ) and it is putting pressure on him to perform.This I'm afraid will probably only be the beginning but I expect he will improve as gets older .

Shri

He was a bad captain for 2 T20 games i.e 80 overs / just over 1 ODI / one day of a test match. Calling for his head already?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dhoni is a very good Test captain. Aggressive in the right way. Don't give a crap about T20 and ODI captaincy or results. Sort of happy they got out, because it'll be some rest before the next tour. He needs to sit out the WI ODI tour. Too much cricket for him over the last 3 years.

Smith

Banned
Dhoni is a very good Test captain. Aggressive in the right way. Don't give a crap about T20 and ODI captaincy or results. Sort of happy they got out, because it'll be some rest before the next tour. He needs to sit out the WI ODI tour. Too much cricket for him over the last 3 years.
Very true.

Since 2005, Dhoni has played the maximum no. of International matches (T20I, ODIs, Tests) in the world - 186 matches. Next is Micheal Clarke with 177 matches.

Add to this 14+15 IPL matches and the total becomes a whopping 215 high pressure contests!!!

Batting records | Combined Test, ODI and T20I records | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

Smith

Banned
Since WC 07, Dhoni has played in 75 International matches +29 IPL matches = 104 HP matches. This consists of 11 tests, 49 ODIs, 15 T20Is, and 29 IPL matches = 147 days of cricket.

Shri

sirdj

Guys, I have a few spare donkeys......lemme know if anyone needs one for painting or parading purposes.