• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Digging

Lillian Thomson

I was looking for a thread on the trend towards minimalism in modern literature and came across a thread that implied that people have received warnings or infraction points for "serial digging" of old threads. Is that really a thing? Sometimes old threads that went unnoticed at the time can produce a veritable nosegay of discussion years later.

honestbharani

Its just there to avoid people basically spamming the forum by just digging old threads with no rhyme or reason. I don't think they infract anyone for simply digging up an old thread for a reason. I remember many threads getting resurrected juz for the heck of it during the early days of the lockdown.

Dan

Global Moderator
It was, yes. It appears that the rule was introduced in 2007, but it was removed in the latest update to reflect that digging old threads isn't necessarily a problem in and of itself.

I mean, if it gets to a ridiculous point where new threads are being crowded out by pointless digs of threads from 2005, the mods will do something through other means. But I think you're right to say that there's the opportunity for interesting discussions on old threads - plus as CW gets older there's certainly some nostalgia value too. Would we really want it to be technically against the rules for someone to remind us of Throwing Stuff?

fredfertang

My doctor tells me that digging is good exercise, but I think that’s a lie - I mean when do you ever see Dominic Cummings digging?

Bijed

I've never really got why forums in general seem to take a dim view of reviving older threads - of all the forums I've used/lurked this is the only one where you don't get at least verbally ticked off for digging up an old thread.

The way I see it good discussion is good discussion and who cares if you have to revive a conversation from ten years ago to have it. Yeah, people just posting 'bump' in any old thread from ages ago and nothing else happening is annoying, but the problem there is that people are making pointless posts, not that they're posting in old threads.