• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England sack Duncan Fletcher

bugssy

News Flash

In breaking news, the England cricket board have just conducted there press confrence with news that Duncan Fletcher has been sacked with immediate effect from the head coaching job with the England cricket team, as news comes to hand we are led to believe that the announcemnt of the new manager is some minutes away. Lets go down to ECB headquarters where our live correspondant Cecil Bumfluff is standing by: Cecil:

Cecil: thanks guys what i can tell you is that it is confirmed that duncan Fletcher has been sacked, just days away from the England team leaving for the world cup. No one can say why or who made the final decision all we know is that the team is not far away from boarding the plane to fly overseas for the world cup with no Head coach. The ECB has stated that they will be announcing the new coach in minutes and i dare say he will be on the plane to the world cup in what some say will be the toughest start to a coaching role you could get. when we get some more news we will bring them to you.

We will go to a break and on the otherside hopefully have some news for you.​

Cecil: Hi guys im back with some incredible news, the New England coach is an unknown Aussie cricket player by the name of Rob "Bugsy" Malone. The ECB rushed him straight onto the team bus headed for the airport and the ECB refuse to comment or let the coach comment at all. The ECb has put a total media ban on the english cricket team for the next 2 days, all we can tell you is this about the new coach, Rob malone, born in Paddington, Sydney , Australia. Played junior and senior rep levels for grade club Randwick CC and also played for his state. An all rounder who took over 300 wickets @ 14 for his club along with nearly 12000 runs @ 42. Not much else other than at the young age of 32 he is and will be the youngest international coach going around.

I can also tell you the side that is going over to play in the world cup is as follows.​
The 15 Man Squad​
M Vaughan, R Bopra, I Bell, K Pietersen, A Strauss, E Joyce, P Nixon, P Collingwood, A Flintoff, J Dairymple, M Panesar, L Plunkett, S Mahmood, J Anderson & R Sidebottom. The skipper has not been announced and i guess the new coach will make that one of his first priorities when they touch the ground . Thats all from me Cecil Bumfluff back to you guys in the studio

bugssy

World cup starts in 2 days

Cecil bumfluff here , your world cup man and i have an exclusive interview with the englands new coach Rob Bugsy Malone.

Cecil: Mr Malone congrats and tell us how your feeling?

Bugsy: Thanks Mr Bumfluff. Cecil: "Call me cecil mate" Bugsy: Ok mate , feeling really good, me and the boys have had a good 3 days over here ebfore our 1st group match against the black caps and we are really looking forward to the cup. We have had some good sessions and all the boys are keen to do well and really prove we can play the game at a very good level.

Cecil: Mr Malone why you for the England job?

Bugsy: Mate i will not and can not go into why i am the man, i have had talks with the ECB for sometiem know, about 6 months after i finished up my cricket career with middlesex, they approached me and we had a few talks and obviously the rest is history.

Cecil: Have the players taken you in with open arms?

Bugsy: Mate the boys have been great, obviously it was a shock for them so close to flying out and with Mr fletcher holding the role for a while know it was hard but they are proffessional and focused on trying to win the cup and taking it back to lords so.

Cecil: One last question mate. Can you win the cup?

Bugsy:Ofcourse we can, we have as much chance as the aussies or the kiwis or any side out there, and we will put in 110% over the 6 weeks to do our best to bring the cup back. Got to go mate.

Cecil: Well there you have it, the new england coach Bugsy Malone, and we look forward to englands first game tomorrow against the Black caps.

bugssy

March 16th World cup Group Match

New Zealand v England​

England Squad​

M Vaughan, A Strauss, K Pietersen, I Bell, P Collingwood, A Flintoff, J Dairymple, P Nixon, S Mahmood, R Sidebottom, M Panesar, J Anderson 12th man.​

New Zealand Squad​

S Flemming, P Fulton, L Vincent, C <cmillian, J Oram, B McCullum, R Taylor, J Franklin, D Vettori, S Bond D Tuffey
New Zealand have won the toss and elected to bat.​

overs 1 - 10​
Flintoff started with a nice over. 4th over of the match flemming dispatched sidebottom to the fence 3 times in the over all magical shots. In the 8th over Flitoff bowled a superb ball to get rid of Fulton for 6(30) and NZ 1 - 30. Sidebottom then picked up Vincent for 1(3) 3 balls later and NZ 2 - 31.1st ten overs NZ 2 - 35 with flintof bowling well with figures of 1 - 6 of 5 overs.

overs 11 - 20​
over 13 M Vaughun used a power play. 14th over flintoff was given a spell with 1 - 12 of 7 overs. sensational stuff. Mahmood was given the ball. Sidebottom was given a rest and Monty was bought on with NZ 2 - 50 from 15 overs going at 3.3 an over with S flemming still at the crease with 28(42). Over 18 M Vuaghan used up his 3rd power play .

Overs 21 - 30​
NZ got a partnership together and although they where not setting the world on fire they where setting the rest of the side up for an onslaught later on. Mahmood and panesar bowled well through 2 power plays without luck. Mahmood was given a breather and Dalrymple was bought on. Spinners operating from both ends, with NZ 2 - 102 of 25 overs.
S Flemming bought up his 50 in the 25th over.C Mcmillian bought up his 50 in the 28th over. NZ looking confident.

Overs 31 - 40​
Flemming and mcmillian picked up the run rate so slight and M Panesar bowled out his ten 0 - 47 with no luck and a few appeals turned down. Dalrymple was going well at the other end 0 27 of 5 with Mahmood coming on for monty.Flemming 78*(89) & Mcmillian 62*(83).but a 14 run over seen Dalrymple loose his confidence. England need to break this partnership. Dalrymples next over had everything, Lbw not given when hawkeye showed it was out a play and a miss 2 boundarys and on the last ball he picked up C Mcmillian for 85(94) NZ 3 - 190 of 37 overs. Next over Mahmood picked up J Oram plumb infront for a duck. Great bowling . 4 - 191. Dalrymple then got McCullum next over lbw plumb infront for 7(6), NZ 5 - 199. two balls later Flemming fell to Dalrymple what an over Flemming caught behind for 92(99), unlucky deserved a tonne here today. NZ 6 - 200 and england are into the bowlers. Mahmood picked up taylor lbw and NZ where loosing the plot 7 - 202 and taylor out for 2(4).

Overs 41 - 50​
Vittori come out blazing and moved to 15(13). dalrymple finished with 3 - 66 although expensive he did get 3 good scalpes and bowled quite well on this nice batting deck.Mahmood also finished up with 2 - 57 of ten which left sidebottom and Flitoff to finish up with NZ 7 - 220 with 6 overs remaining.Flintoff picked up vittori in the 47th over for 19(23) and NZ 8 - 234 with flintoff 2 - 16 of 8.2 overs. End of 50 overs NZ 8 - 240 with flitoff 2 - 19 of 10 overs.

Coaches Report​
Happy with 240 . at one stage it looked like they would hit 260 or 270 howvever we picked up some good wickets in the middle to last overs which slowed them up so i think 240 is a good total to chase on this good deck so its up to our batsmen to knock em off.Flintoff bowled out of his skin today. class bowler.​

Overs 1 - 10​
England Innings
England very wary to start of with and after 10 overs 0 - 30 still needing 211 runs @ 5.3 an over.​

Overs 11 - 20​
The first power play was called by NZ. D Tuffey was bought on in the 13th over, as england start to pick up the run rate. 0 - 57 of 13. Over 15 seen the final power play introduced. At the end of 20 overs england where going along nicely and have moved to 0 - 97 with M Vaughan 42*(56) and A Strauss 44*(67). Still needing a further 144 runs @ 4.8 an over.

Overs 21 - 30​

M Vaughan fell in the 21st over for 43(58) caught behind trying to give himself some room. Out walks K Pietersen. England 1 - 99. A STrauss a lovely late cut for 4 which brings up his half century 53(80). Vittori bought himself on into the attack.Tuffey had a lbw appeal turned down, bowled an absolute belter to strauss who played and missed and watched the timber get knocked, but a good innings 62(87) england 2 - 125 of 25. Bell come and went quick, caught at slip for 9(15) england 3 - 139.

Overs 31 - 40​
150 bought up for england in the 31st over. A cruzy ten overs for both sides with not much happening with england 3 - 186 needing a further 55 of the last ten overs with 7 wickets in hand. With K Pietersen 43*(56) & Collingwood 13*(32).

Overs 41 - 50 the Final ten​
Tuffey bolwed Pietersen in the 41st over which would put a little pressure on england, could flitoff do with the bat what he did with the ball. Eng 4 - 186. Flintoff caught in the deep for 16(20) with England still needing 23 of 24 balls it was going to go down to the wire.J Orams 46th over cost him ten, was that going to be the difference.Eng needing 13 runs from 21 balls and looked in the top seat. Down to 11 of 12 balls lets look at the ball by ball finsih to this wonderful game.
J Oram
12. 1 run
11. dot ball
10. 1 run
9. 1 run
8. 4 runs
7. LBW appeal Not Out (looked Plumb)
Vittori to bowl the last over england needing 4 runs for victory
6 1 run
5 1 run
4 1 run (scores tied)
3 dot ball
2 dot ball
1 1 run
England win by 5 wickets, great game hard chase but they got there. Dalrymple hitting the winning runs. Lets look at the stats.
New Zealand 8 - 240
S Flemming 92
C Mcmillian 85

Dalrymple 3 - 66
Flintoff 2 - 19

England 5 - 241
A Strauss 62
M Vaughan 43

D Tuffey 3 - 51
J Oram 1 - 55​

M:O:M: A Strauss​

bugssy

18th March England v Canada

England v Canada​

England squad​

M Vaughan (c), A Strauss, K Pietersen, I Bell, P Collingwood, I Flintoff, J Dalrymple, P Nixon, J anderson, R Sidebottom, M Panesar & 12th Man S Mahmood.​

Candaian Squad​

G Barnett, D Soraine, A Bagai, U Bhatti, S Heaney, H Dhillon, Q Ali, S Welsh, H Osinde, A Codrington, K Sandher​

Canada won the toss and elected to bat.​

Overs 1 - 10​
1st over Flintoof picks up a wicket from a good catch bt Collingwood. Canada 1 - 0.The boys bowled well and flintoff had 2 and aonther dropped so cananda could have been in all sorts. end of ten canada 2 - 26.

Overs 11 - 20​
Canada dominated a much ten overs with england only using one power play. Panesar picked up the only wicket. Canada 3 - 95 of 20 overs.

Overs 21 - 30​
Not much luck for england as canada keep motoring along and are looking in a great position. 3 - 139 of 30 overs, with Bagai 64*(84) & S Heaney 39*(37).

Overs 31 - 40​
M Panesar has been the pick of the bowlers and he snarred Heaney for 41(41) and canada moved to 4 - 150. M Panesar picked up Dhillon for 4(14) and england where slowly trying to put the brakes on. 5 - 162. Panesar finsihed up 3 - 40 of 10 and was well bowled. Collingwood was at the other end, and doing a great job picking up ali for a duck. Canada 6 - 163. Flintoff has been bought back into the attack i think to try and finish of the tail.Flintoffs first ball grabbed a wicket and Bagai gone for 83(105). Great captaicy from M Vaughan. 2 balls later Flintoff picked up welsh and he was ripping through the canadian tail. Welsh gone for 1(4) and canada 8 - 166. England dominated those ten overs.

Overs 41 - 50​
Flintoff bowled Osinde for 22(15) and a nice little cameo Canada where 9 - 203.Flintoffs last over he finished the Canadian innings with 6 - 45 of his ten overs and canada finished ao 210. leaving england 210 of 50 overs at 4.17 runs per over.

Coaches report
Yer happy with that, we should not have too many problems getting 210 but cricket is a funny game. HAppy that we kept em to 210 cause at one stage they where doing it easy at 3 - 140 so that is pleasing. Flintoff leading by example is nice. Panesar bowled well also. Lets see the batsmen do there jobs.

England Innings

Overs 1 - 10​
Vaughn and Strauss open up. The boys batting well, no risks all shots along the ground and doing it nicely. 0 - 47 of the first ten overs.

Overs 11 - 20​
Power play 1...England continue t dominate and doing it easy. Canada call on the final power play with england 0 - 72 of 15 overs. M Vaughn brings up his 50 in the 19th overs, and the 100 partnership aswell. Strauss 38*(51) M Vaughan 55*(67).

Overs 21 - 30​
Strauss bought up his 50 with a slashing coverdrive for 4 and england in total control 0 - 132 of 23 overs needing a further 79 runs @ 2.9 / over. The 150 come up for england in th 26th over.

Overs 31 - 40​
Canada just going through the motions know, M Vaughan not far away from his tonne. M Vaughan bought up his tonne in the 33rd over and a chanceless innings. 100*(109). Magnificent.The 200 was bought up in the 35th over.England 0 - 206. A Strauss hit the winning runs and england win by Ten wickets.

Canada ao 210 of 44 overs​
A BAgai 83
S Heaney 41

A Flintoff 6 - 45
M Panesar 3 - 40

England 0 - 211 of 36.2 overs​
M Vaughan 113*
A Strauss 87*

M:O:M M Vaughan​

bugssy

World cup Group Match 24th March

England v Kenya​

England Squad

M Vaughan (c), A Strauss, K Pietersen, I Bell, P Collingwood, A Flintoff, J Dalrymple, P Nixon, J Ansderson, L Plunkett, M Panesar.

Kenya won the toss and are havinga bat.​

Overs 1 - 10​
J Anderson picked up the first wicket. Kenya 1 - 7. In the same over he picked up tikolo. Kenya 2 - 9.England in control kenya 2 - 25.​

Overs 11 - 20​
1st power play. Anderson picks up another. Anderson and Flitoff given a restas Plunket and Monty get the ball, and the final power play is introduced. Kenya start geting a few boundaries and raising up the run rate.​

Overs 21 - 30​
Plunket not bowling too well but picks up a wicket at short fine leg. Kenya 4 - 87. Dalrymple bought into the attack.as Vaughan spreads the field to cut back on boundaries.​

Overs 31 - 40​
Dalrymple who has been bowling with out luck picked up L Onyango for 48. Dalrymple has 1 - 9 of 6 overs & Kenya 5 - 134 of 36 overs. Monty then picked one up and Kenya where struggling @ 6 - 135.​

Overs 41 - 50. Final ten overs.​
Kenya 6 - 169 with ten to go.Flintoff ripped through the tail to have kenya all out for 219.​

Coaches report

A good day with the ball, a little sloppy at times in teh field but good to keep em under 5 an over so the bowling is going well with Flintoff to continue to keep getting btter and better.​

England Innings

Overs 1 - 10​
England started wlel however Strauss went in the 9th overs for 17(28). England 1 - 36.​

Overs 11 - 20​
Vaughan went 2 overs later for 15(34) england 2 - 44.England moving along 2 - 81 but i am sure the coach would like them to take some confidence into the super eights.​

Overs 21 - 30​
Pietersen went for 38(54) England doing it a little tough at 3 - 96.​

Overs 31 - 40​
England not setting the world alight, still needing 104 runs @ 5.2 an over. They where making an relatively easy run chase look hard.Collingwood trying to up the tempo fell in the 38th over for 27(56), England where falling well behind, now needing 5.6 runs per over.At one stage it was up over 7.​

Overs 41 - 50 Final ten Overs​
57 Runs needed.Flintoff fell for 13(17) and england in trouble. Bell and Darymple guided englad to a 5 wicket win with 2 overs to spare. Should have been alot easier than that but they scrapped through to top the group with 3 wins from 3 games. Bell finished on 74*(85) & Dalrymple 25*(19).​

Match Review​
Kenya AO 219​
J Kamande 52
L Onyango 48

A Flintoff 3 - 21
J Anderson 3 - 42​

ENgland 5 - 222 of 48 overs​
I Bell 74*
K Pietersen 38

M Sheikh 2 - 42
P Ongondo 2 - 52​

Man Of the Match: I Bell​

treva

Pretty easy group to go through, but great win against New Zealand! The top 8 sides got through to the super 8's so will be very tough to progress to semi's...

andruid

I am pretty sure that in at least one of the ICC series the players they had for kenya outside the playing 15 did not actually exist:-O