• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England World Cup 15

Bazza

The Argonaut said:
Trescothick, Knight, Vaughan, Hussain, Collingwood, Stewart, Flintoff, White, Giles, Caddick, Anderson
Maybe, but unless Giles can prove he's a significant addition to the bowling then I would play Blackwell and bat him at 8 (depending on match situation of course).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blackwell is wasted at 8, he's a batsman that bowls, and a number 8 must be relied on to get through 10 overs realistically - With the depth, we could easily have Flintoff or White as 8, and Giles may be 9 or even 10.

Bazza

But Blackwell is bowling well, and we now have Collingwood and Vaughan to chip in. If anything playing 5 bowlers is a waste. Blackwell would only bat at 8 if wickets were going down. If not he might come in between 4-6, just when a wicket is lost in the last 10 overs or so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For me he's not really done the job expected of him, a hard hitting batsman who fills in a couple of overs!

Certainly his batting has been a disappointment so far, and bowling-wise I'd certainly back Giles over him at the moment.

Besides that, with Flintoff and White / Hollioake(?) in there, the batting is long.

Bazza

Hollioake isn't even in the squad, and whilst I wanted him to be, if he replaces Harmison and gets picked in the XI, I will be somewhat disappointed. What is the point in picking someone you didn't want in your first XV, and haven't even given one game to practise?

Also Blackwell's bowling record is superior to Giles' right now, and I feel he can turn the ball more and cause more problems to batsmen. Being right handed might also help.

Anna

Well he's left handed, so..........

I think he should play ahead of Giles because his bowling has improved greatly and he is taking more wickets than Giles at the mo. His batting hasn't been too great granted, but when he does get it going, well.....Anyone see him in the C&G semi? I did and that's why he should play ahead of AG.

Plus the fact he's a really nice bloke.

Bazza

Anna said:
Well he's left handed
oopsie! :duh:

Well I would still put him in ahead of Giles, because we know he's playing ok and his batting is worth double what Gilo's is.

Cloete

well IMO england would be wasting their best all-rounder if they did not plat blackwell. his bowling is top class and every1 says he bats better than he bowls. so i really do expect great things from him when he bats. every1 will argue flintoff is better. but i'm not so sure of that. flintoff is still a fine player however. i also feel blackwell's bowling is of a better calibre of giles and also his batting is miles ahead. flintoff isn't a very good fielder, not sure about giles and blackwell is okay on the ground but he sure does have a great pair of hands. also i think it would be wiser to play a spinning all-rounder rather than a full-time spinner who bats a bit. because if blackwell doesn't fire (i really can't see this happening, he's just too good) then u've always got vaughan. who IMO is a very good spinner (well a hell of a lot better than dawson). England's batting would also be strengthened as well as a good pinch-hitter being added. so i think they HAVE to play blackwell. he's just too good not to play him.

Rik

Flintoff is a very good fielder, he has a great pair of hands and is a superb slip fielder. He also has a very powerful arm when riding the boundary...

Also just to mention one of the most under-rated out-fielders in the world, Heath Streak...he has a great arm...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
WCCC_SOMERSET said:
i also feel blackwell's bowling is of a better calibre of giles and also his batting is miles ahead.
No way is Blackwell a better bowler than Giles - OK, he's a better batsman, but he doesn't even bowl that often for Somerset!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Despite his lack of county bowling, he has been very effective for England against tough opposition. Overall I think he is more effective than Giles in ODI cricket because he offers so much more with the bat and can account for himself, at least as wel,l with the ball.

Cloete

Rik said:
Flintoff is a very good fielder, he has a great pair of hands and is a superb slip fielder. He also has a very powerful arm when riding the boundary...
beg your padon m8. i was judging that on only one game he played in australia.

Cloete

marc71178 said:
No way is Blackwell a better bowler than Giles - OK, he's a better batsman, but he doesn't even bowl that often for Somerset!
well i've seen quite a few matches from both of them. and from wat i have seen blackwell is better. and he's been bowling against australia and sri lank!! i still like giles though. he's a very good bowler in hiss own right.