• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's best/worst since 66 and all that

Uppercut

Obvious couldn't disagree more with MG's appraisal of the top ones, that Cameroon point is wrong as pointed out by me, but I can't beat the myth of the "story" rather than reality.

Look 2002 was fine, but you can't ignore we were up against 10 men for a massive part of that quarter final, no matter how losing to Brazil is cool, and we were only on that side of the draw because we didn't even seem to try to beat Nigeria in the final group match, which at the time seemed insanity with the way the Tournament looked..
Yeah the Nigeria point is fair. Still think it belongs where I put it though. More unsatisfying than it was bad.

grecian

Yeah the Nigeria point is fair. Still think it belongs where I put it though. More unsatisfying than it was bad.
Actually I put it second, higher than you. It's such an odd one. The British Press were on the big hype of it was a disater and that team should have won it easily if it wasn't for evil forn Sven, laughable really, but it does feel more a missed opportunity, because of the sending off, and the draw Germany got, which we could have had if we beat Nigeria. Mind you we'd have ****ed it up some way, I'm sure.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not beating Nigeria made me so mad. Meant I had an exam during the quarter. Was such a heartless performance too

grecian

Not beating Nigeria made me so mad. Meant I had an exam during the quarter. Was such a heartless performance too
It was just odd, and how interviewed none of them seem bothered afterwards when we all knew the situation of the draw. I get it was group of death (90 was worse btw:ph34r:) but the safety first of that match was ridiculous knowing that we'd almost certainly play Brazil in the hottest conditions in bloody Japan.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was just looking at the draw. We'd have met Brazil in the semis anyway apparently (if we'd won the group and advanced through) . Unusual that but the dual host thing explains it I guess.

grecian

Was just looking at the draw. We'd have met Brazil in the semis anyway apparently (if we'd won the group and advanced through) . Unusual that but the dual host thing explains it I guess.
I think it was the conditions we were going to meet Brazil in was the bit that rankled most, obviously if you are going to win you have to beat them sometime, probably.