• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's Problems (Potential answers?)

Mick Ryan

England Cricket

In any team sport if teams are equally motivated, equally well organised, equally fit and have equally good team spirit, the team with the better players will win. On the other hand, if teams are roughly equal in ability, then the team with better organisation, fitness, motivation or team spirit will win. If one team is superior in all four of these qualities it will win overwhelmingly.
This is what has happened to England in the Ashes. The pundits assure us that individually the Australian players are not obviously better than the England players. However, they are very obviously better organised, MUCH better motivated, and have much better team spirit.
Why is this? Surely, the answer must lie in the management and, in particular, the captaincy. Again, we are assured that Cook is 'still the best man for the job', and that there are no other obvious candidates. I really can't see how anybody else could do much worse. With one or two exceptions, these players have clearly given up. I don't recall that the performances were any worse under Flintoff in the previous Ashes series in Australia, and he was sacked straight afterwards. On his present form, Cook should be not only sacked as captain but dropped.
Is this something to do with class?
Mick Ryan.

fredfertang

England have one problem. Or four, depending on how you look at it. Bairstow, Ballance, Bresnan and Root. The side has been terminally weakened by Yorkshire players. The only two other times in the last 50 years that England played more than 3 Yorkshire players in an Ashes series - 02/03 (Dawson, Hoggard, Silverwood, Vaughan & White) and 1964 (Boycott, Sharpe, Taylor, Trueman). The results of those series - Australian wins. Coincidence?...
Tykeist, although you have a point, same in 1920/21 and 1934 as well - the evidence is strong on this one

Watson33

Gooch has to take some of the flack for this woeful batting display throughout the series. If there was anyone from the backroom staff that should be shown the door I'd say he'd have to be first. In terms of players, I feel Cook should keep the captaincy. Not because he is a great captain, but who else are you going to give it to? KP is too controversial and too self centred to lead a team, Anderson carries the attack to much to have to think about field placings etc..., Prior needs to just concentrate on getting his game back in order and Broad is similarly tactically naïve. Furthermore, the selectors have to take some of the flack too for the touring squad they took.

Son Of Coco

You won't have any authority in your side as captain if the tactics you employ appear questionable. It's that simple really. Sure, some of the fields might be at a bowler's request. Some might even be a plan of sorts. But there have been some bizarre decisions made by England when it comes to field placements in both Ashes series this year, and if they're not Cook's fault at times then he's not really a captain anyway.

The main problem is who to replace him with. As others have said, there isn't really anyone. So England need to hope he can learn the tactical side of things rather quickly. I can't see it happening myself.

Mark68

Well it looks like the present staff are set to carry on. Carry on regardless as it were and this whole tour reminds me of a 'Carry On' film.

Goochy on the radio today says he wants to continue, Flower is carrying on and wants Cook to remain as skipper. I know that Mr Flower is still in credit with the ECB but letting him carry on appears much like rewarding failure. Have no idea about the bowling coach...he may be wanted by Australia (kidding).

Obviously Stokes remains along with Broad. And Ballance has shown a bit but poor old Scott Borthwick may turn to be another one cap wonder. Cook, KP and Bell as the experience. Perhaps James Taylor for the summer? Might be worth having a look at Mills against Sri Lanka and possibly Kerrigan if he is bowling well for his county. Prior to captain? Possibly.

Adders

. I don't recall that the performances were any worse under Flintoff in the previous Ashes series in Australia, and he was sacked straight afterwards. On his present form, Cook should be not only sacked as captain but dropped.
Flintoff wasn't sacked, Michael Vaughan returned from injury and took back his position.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You won't have any authority in your side as captain if the tactics you employ appear questionable. It's that simple really. Sure, some of the fields might be at a bowler's request. Some might even be a plan of sorts. But there have been some bizarre decisions made by England when it comes to field placements in both Ashes series this year, and if they're not Cook's fault at times then he's not really a captain anyway.

The main problem is who to replace him with. As others have said, there isn't really anyone. So England need to hope he can learn the tactical side of things rather quickly. I can't see it happening myself.
Surely Ricky Ponting disproves this. Questionable tactician but great leader of men and had no problem with asserting himself on the team. I don't believe it is that simple at all.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
England need to pick Chris Jordan. My campaign to get him in the test side begins here. Am convinced he would be a decent selection.

Sean Flynn

Someone tweeted Bumble that the Taliban should take over English cricket!!!

I may be wrong but I'm guessing that the MCC would find the Taliban a touch too extreme...

YorksLanka

bring tymal mills into the team and so bring in some genuine pace from a left armer...root to open the batting ( i know he is in poor form but feel thats bcos he ahd been messed around) .Get rid of rankin as he is dross and bring Eoin Morgan in at six.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So bring in someone whose division 2 county don't trust enough to play FC cricket for them and someone else who's barely played any FC cricket in recent times and has a history of failing when he has tried Tests in the past?

morgieb

So bring in someone whose division 2 county don't trust enough to play FC cricket for them and someone else who's barely played any FC cricket in recent times and has a history of failing when he has tried Tests in the past?
At least with Mills he has a lot of cutting edge and the county pitches don't really suit him. I wouldn't pick him yet obviously but I think he may be the sort of player who would do better at Tests rather than CC.

Really don't think Morgan should be in the frame though, he's just not good at the long format.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, it's one thing saying he may do better, but if his county won't pick him then there's no way on Earth England should.

theegyptian

It is Essex though. The team that in their wisdom decided to sign Saj Mahmood and have made countless other questionable decisions over the last few years squandering an abundance of talent to leave them languishing in the second division.

jackbyrne91

So - Flower has gone but then wants to be moved upstairs somewhere? Why doesn't he just clear off so we can build newly.

And if Flower is the problem how the **** is Giles the answer?!

FBU

Certainly not Broad or Anderson, albeit for slightly differing reasons.

Bell, if we're honest, we have no idea whatsoever about. The mode of many of his dismissals doesn't inspire confidence that he could lead anyone, but we really haven't a clue about his tactical acumen or leadership qualities.

I'd happily give the job to KP, but I know you differ. Can't recall if you provided any reasons though.

Cook should improve if he's given some intelligent support in the role. Maybe Bell as official vice-captain to provide a sounding board out in the middle.

Swann might have been an interesting captain, but obviously that option's gone.
Bell has captained Under-19s, Lions and Warks. 52 matches - Won 24 Lost 13 Draw 7. With Warks W5 Lost 2 Draw 1.
I don't think Cook will improve. He's been standing in the field for over 10 years and if he hasn't picked up anything from the various captains he has played under by now I don't see much change. He leaves the field placings to the bowlers and Prior. I think with Prior on one side of him and Swann on the other he relied on their input and it was evident when Bairstow and Root replaced them it got worse. Then Bell replaced Root in the slips, probably Flower wanting some experienced player next to Cook rather than for his slip catching.