• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v New Zealand

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Starfighter

Pissed off (having finally got a somewhat workable internet connection back) that I had stuff on so had to miss the end. OTOH probably would have keeled over from a heart attack during the super over.

flibbertyjibber

Nah, he's been around for a couple of years. Was in and out of the side in the first 18 months, as he couldn't maintain his pace for more than a handful of overs, but really came good around 6 months ago. Hoping he gets a test debut sometime this summer.
Genuine question, is he a realistic test hope or does he drop off dramatically in 2nd and 3rd spells in first class games? If he maintains his pace then he looks like he could be a real handful.

Mike5181

Genuine question, is he a realistic test hope or does he drop off dramatically in 2nd and 3rd spells in first class games? If he maintains his pace then he looks like he could be a real handful.
Does well in first-class, and is noticeably fitter than when he started in the ODI side.

add_sauce

How the **** am I not banned yet?

This is as disappointing as that time NZ wost the World Cup.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hard to know, as there's obviously no speed guns running in domestic cricket. But there's no doubt that his performances for Auckland have gone to another level in recent seasons. Bowling primarily on a famously batsman friendly surface, Ferguson's picked up 66 wickets at 19.27 since 2016/17.

I reckon if he was part of the NZ side he'd have to be used judiciously to keep his pace up - probably around 18 overs a day bowled in short spells of 4 to 5 overs each.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think Ferguson would have been playing Tests already if Wagner wasn't so bloody good already.
Ferguson might well have jumped Henry as first seam reserve now...not that we'll find out on the Sri Lankan tour, but won't be surprised to see him play the home summer should any of the big 3 go down.

Victor Ian

So. Where to from here? Is this the culmination of a fine effort to build for the cup, and then we see a whitewash for England next cup, or is the first step on the way to an era of dominance in ODI cricket?

zorax

likes this
So. Where to from here? Is this the culmination of a fine effort to build for the cup, and then we see a whitewash for England next cup, or is the first step on the way to an era of dominance in ODI cricket?
Trevor Bayliss is leaving after the Ashes and lot of this squad will be towards the end of their careers in 2023. Will be interesting to see what happens in the ODI setup in the next 12-18 months.

flibbertyjibber

I am not expecting much of a showing next time. This was a once in a lifetime chance and we took it. Back to being among the pack next time.

Lillian Thomson

I'll be happy if we're always one of the contenders at World Cups. I don't expect to win it as often as Australia did in the past, but 1996 was the last time I went into the tournament believing we had the remotest chance - and even 96 was pretty remote.

PikeyB

Paul Collingwood can't be that far away from ODI coach , certainly before 2023 . Personally I hope they try to make a very good showing at the T20 World Cup to gain momentum as a limited overs force .

I totally want Dizzy Gillespie as head coach at some stage but I think he's got prior commitments at the moment .I'd also love to have Andrew Strauss back in the England fold one day .

I think a lot of it will depend on how the Ashes and winter Tour play out . If we take a kicking , all this love lavished on limited overs stuff will start to curdle . I personally think we should concentrate on our Test form for a while , getting near the top of the pile should be our first port of call on the journey to longterm success .

We also need to develop a couple of spinning allrounders , or batsmen like Rooty who are good for a few overs in a pinch . No point going to India in 2023 without a bespoke attack in my opinion .

I think England should continue with their general new philosophy . If we allow ourselves to slip back into the typical English approach we'll just end with a side full of lovely swing bowlers and measured batsmen that look great while they lose .