• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final.

howardj

I actually quite enjoyed the final. Can't believe people are so hung up about three inconsequential overs. For mine, it didn't come close to overshadowing the feats of Australia in general and Gilchrist inparticular.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Matt79, liked his post so much he posted it twice ;)

Seriously though, gun post, and a gun analysis. *nominates for afridi* :)
Sorry about the double-post - the site was playing up at the time - it was about when James had to do his "test message"...

Mahindinho

Gutted.

I made a bit of a schoolboy error, and spent the weekend deep in the Lake District, with no phone access or television, never mind Sky Sports. Fortunately, we could pick up LW radio...just...and I caught most of the final while sitting in a Land Rover, playing cards and drinking a fine selection of bottled ale.

Unfortunately, Gilchrist was on fire. That sort of hitting's just unbelievable, especially when you're up against the SL mid-innings choke. He was clearly the difference.

Jayasuriya and Sanga tried, but fell just short -- if they'd kept in for just a few more overs, who knows what might have happened?

Then, the wickets started falling, one by one. I was praying for Mahela (who really is a very nice bloke) to produce one of the greatest innings of all time, but it wasn't to be.

We couldn't quite work out what was going on at the end...but then, neither could anyone else. By that time, I was drinking to forget ;)

Fair play to the Aussies, and well won.

I've still not watched the highlights, as the idea's just too upsetting right now :(

It really was a bit of a farce, though -- whoever decided to play first 38 overs and then 36 for the SL innings, given the delays given and the likely sunset time, should be shot. I sincerely hope that, next time around, some provision is given to playing the semi's and final over two days, so at least some semblance of a 50-over match is possible. If it still ends up decided by D-L, then so be it, but why have a reserve day if you're not going to at least try and use it? Logistics and TV should come second to the game, not first.

Laurrz

great post there ^^

ive heard a lot of Lankan supporters whinging and not giving credit to the aussies.. of course they do but there is always a massive disclaimer

so kudos to you :) and the SL Cricket team... for reaching the finals and fighting bravely

Josh

Haven't been on for 3 days due to internet failure, and sorry if it's been said to death, but was really silly seeing them play in the dark... the result was beyond doubt lol

16 tins of Spam

The conditions in this World Cup have been ideal for New Zealand and they've still been smashed by Sri Lanka (twice) and Australia. Just look at the records of New Zealand's batsmen, all their experienced batsmen average low 30s or worse and the bowlers all average 30+ except for Bond. None of their batsmen have any real class about them apart from Fleming occasionally, same with the bowling apart from Bond.

The definition of mediocre fits New Zealand exactly. Average players and distinctly lacking in class or quality.

Before any illiterates start I'll state now that mediocre can also or just refer to whether someone has some class or quality about them - Vaughan as a ODI batsman for example has some class or quality, but performs crap, so you could say he's not a mediocre player but his ODI record is mediocre (or rubbish more precisely).
You really are a complete and utter prat aren't you? It must really kill you that our "mediocre" and "average" players have outperformed your beloved England team at every world cup since 1996, or indeed, practically every time we've encountered them in the last ten years or so. Jeez, you obviously haven't heard the adage about stones and glass houses...

Fiery

Banned
You really are a complete and utter prat aren't you? It must really kill you that our "mediocre" and "average" players have outperformed your beloved England team at every world cup since 1996, or indeed, practically every time we've encountered them in the last ten years or so. Jeez, you obviously haven't heard the adage about stones and glass houses...
And you should practice what you preach about abusive posts

Goughy

First time Ive visited this thread and Ive not read any of it.

Just popping my head in to give a long overdue congratulations to Australia. Simply a different class to everyone else at the Tournament.

Well played. :)

16 tins of Spam

Yeah, your advice on the matter really doesn't come from a position of moral authority, so you may as well not waste your time offering it.