• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Football/soccer draft

jimmy101

Yeah, I know. It's just not cricket. It really isn't. Completely different sport bro.

However, with the 2018 FIFA World Cup well underway I was wondering if anyone here wants to participate in a one-off football/soccer draft?

The draft is open to all players from all eras, but to add a little twist participants can only select one player from a particular country.

Other than that, normal rules apply. (RNG draft orders, 8 hour time limits, vote at the end).

Any takers?

jimmy101

Alright sweet. Four players so far. Will leave it open for a little while longer.

I see we've been moved. Was this your handy-work Dan?

Dan

Global Moderator
Alright sweet. Four players so far. Will leave it open for a little while longer.

I see we've been moved. Was this your handy-work Dan?
Yeah, indeed.

When I first opened this I thought it was a draft of cricketers to play football tbf.

jimmy101

Yeah, indeed.

When I first opened this I thought it was a draft of cricketers to play football tbf.
Compton would have cleaned house, surely.

I was having a think about players whom represented countries which no longer exist, and feel that I'd better clear a few things up. So if I may add to the draft rules...

- Germany (incl. all East & West German players).
- Yugoslavia (incl. players from Serbia, Croatia & all of the other former Yugoslav regions).
- Soviet Union (same drill).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'll have a bash.

What's the rule for the Diego Costas of the world who've played full internationals for more than one country?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Compton would have cleaned house, surely.

I was having a think about players whom represented countries which no longer exist, and feel that I'd better clear a few things up. So if I may add to the draft rules...

- Germany (incl. all East & West German players).
- Yugoslavia (incl. players from Serbia, Croatia & all of the other former Yugoslav regions).
- Soviet Union (same drill).
Not sure if I cbf if those are the criteria tbh. Not particularly enthusing.

jimmy101

I'll have a bash.

What's the rule for the Diego Costas of the world who've played full internationals for more than one country?
You're allowed to pick him for any of the countries he represented. So if you were to pick him for Brazil, then you can no longer select any more Brazilians.

jimmy101

Not sure if I cbf if those are the criteria tbh. Not particularly enthusing.
I just thought it might help avoid a situation where someone picks Beckenbauer for 'West Germany' and then picks, say, Müller for 'Germany'.

Johnners

For Germany it makes sense to keep them all together considering you're talking about 3 countries at most, less so the Soviet Union/Yugoslavia.

jimmy101

For Germany it makes sense to keep them all together considering you're talking about 3 countries at most, less so the Soviet Union/Yugoslavia.
Ok then. Agreed. Let's just keep it for Germany then.

List of entrants:

jimmy101
OverratedSanity
mr_mister
Dan
Johnners
sledger
BoyBrumby

Will kick this off in another 12 hours or so. Anyone else who wants to join, feel free to do so.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I just thought it might help avoid a situation where someone picks Beckenbauer for 'West Germany' and then picks, say, Müller for 'Germany'.
Sorry, I misread your post. Thought you were going for a "players who represented countries that no longer exist" only draft.

jimmy101

Sorry, I misread your post. Thought you were going for a "players who represented countries that no longer exist" only draft.
Imagining what the dressing room atmosphere in a German/Soviet/Yugoslav team would be like is rather something.

Last edited: