• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

From a neutral perspective, these Ashes suck

Stapel

That is rotten luck! Out of curiosity, how many Ashes matches since 05 you have really enjoyed from a neutrals perspective? I would guess Adelaide 06, Cardiff 09, TB and Durham 13... And that's about it? It's not like the Ashes was awash with competitive cricket pre 05 either.
A general answer to this questions lies in Furball's reply:

You're confusing quality with exciting. The two of course aren't mutually exclusive, but periods of bad cricket can lead to great games/series.
We've seen three matches in a row that were more or less decided (from a neutral persepctive that is a conclusion easier made, tbf) at the close of:
-stumps day 1
-tea day 1
-lunch day 1

LegionOfBrad

They should have won the game at Durham in 2013. 100 opening partnership chasing 270 odd and then completely folded to Broad (recurring theme) with some abject dismissals.

2013 was miles closer than this. Lords apart it's been 3 gubbings with Cardiff the only game of the three England wins not sealed by tea time on the first day.

Also without rain Aus may well have won at Old Trafford.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

2013 was basically just Ryan Harris though wasn't it. I don't remember the others being that good.
I think a couple of the other bowlers at least maintained some consistency on occasions. I guess the difference this time has been wild inconsistency mixed with periods where bowlers like Starc took a bag of wickets pretty quickly...often both in the same period of play. I don't think the English batting is particularly strong though, which helps.

Flem274*

123/5
nah these ashes have been great. i love series where one of these ****s gets disemboweled and skulks off home.