• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

George Bailey

adub

Exactly right, but if he is good in the mind then his early Shield work really should have him heavily in the frame. For all the talk of too many misses for his hits (which I agreed with whole heartedly at the time) the **** has 5 test tons in 21 tests. Of all the potential candidates for test selection presently only Clarke has more. Warner is next best and equal with North on 5. I really thought he was as good as dead as a serious cricketer last year, but it looks like he has turned it around. To move up to opener and then blast the best part of 600 runs at 99 speaks of a guy who still has the hunger. For all the issues he had at 6 in the test team he makes a more attractive option than Bailers. I we could get two years out of him that would be brilliant.

First option though should be just to decide if you want Hughes playing opener or 3 (personally think 3 might be the spot with Silk joining Warner long term) stick him in there and stop ****ing him around. He shows up every other mug in the Shield after he gets dropped from the test side so lets just accept he's the best we have on offer and work on making him work for us rather than constantly looking for excuses to **** him over.

Jakester1288

Exactly right, but if he is good in the mind then his early Shield work really should have him heavily in the frame. For all the talk of too many misses for his hits (which I agreed with whole heartedly at the time) the **** has 5 test tons in 21 tests. Of all the potential candidates for test selection presently only Clarke has more. Warner is next best and equal with North on 5. I really thought he was as good as dead as a serious cricketer last year, but it looks like he has turned it around. To move up to opener and then blast the best part of 600 runs at 99 speaks of a guy who still has the hunger. For all the issues he had at 6 in the test team he makes a more attractive option than Bailers. I we could get two years out of him that would be brilliant.

First option though should be just to decide if you want Hughes playing opener or 3 (personally think 3 might be the spot with Silk joining Warner long term) stick him in there and stop ****ing him around. He shows up every other mug in the Shield after he gets dropped from the test side so lets just accept he's the best we have on offer and work on making him work for us rather than constantly looking for excuses to **** him over.
Yeah I think Hughes/Warner is our long term opening partnership at 25/27 years old. I didn't really like the selection of Rogers based on his age (he's really just a filler for a couple of seasons at best), but it's pretty difficult to get rid of him now, for a while yet anyway. I'd prob go with Hughes at 3 and Watto at 6 until Rogers is ready to **** off (or get ****ed off) then slip Hughes up to open. I'd also stop ****ing around with our middle order and once I pick it try to stick with it for a significant period of time.

wpdavid

not a bad point, but also something that can spur a bloke on too.
That happened with Adam Hollioake during the season after Ben's death. He batted very positively and very successfully; maybe because he had a slightly different perspective on the game. Not that he ever struck me as a nervous cricketer, but his brother's unexpected death perhaps reminded him that he might as well go out and enjoy the game rather than be hindered by any fear of failure.

Anyway, god luck to North either way.

Tangles

Won't be particularly jammy at all if they keep pitching it halfway down - or not at all.
True. It's more the last minute timing that might be enough to send him to SA. Rankin and Borthwick are not the same calibre as SAs bowlers.

GuyFromLancs

Bailey is a bowler's dream. He might well be a fine striker of a ball, but he's the kind of guy you just bowl 4th stump to and let him get himself out

Tangles

Athers went over his modes of dismissal. Nicking off and caught hooking. Didn't realize he'd done that 3 times now.

Tangles

Using the Bailey selection criteria of OD runs Arun Finch is now in contention for the test team. ****.

Last edited: