• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group 1 Second Round - Sri Lanka, England, South Africa, New Zealand, Netherlands

YorksLanka

Gotta say, not picking Herath so far was one of the most baffling selection decisions ever. The man is all class and seeing that fatty celebrate after each wicket yesterday restored a bit of faith in the cricketing gods each time.
ICC Player Rankings | ESPN Cricinfo

I suspect that he wasnt picked due to Ajantha's T20 ranking plus the fact that the former is a better fielder but i agree with you and as i said before,class is class irrespective of the format..

Last edited:

Maximas

Ajantha Mendis was expected to cause trouble for batsmen who didn't face him regularly on turning pitches, as it happened he couldn't get a decent grip on the ball and the pitches did nothing for him, so he was cannon fodder, I understand his original selection but obviously the correct call was to drop him now

Migara

Just not true. Sennanayake does chuck and I am a part of the Murali never chucked brigade.
HE was tested twice. Once before the debuted and recently. Because he bowls with a bent elbow SLC's plan is to send him for yearly checks. His extension was lot better than most of the bowlers. He did have a big, spitting off break which was bordering on chucking. To his credit, never bowled it in any ODIs he has played in.

YorksLanka

HE was tested twice. Once before the debuted and recently. Because he bowls with a bent elbow SLC's plan is to send him for yearly checks. His extension was lot better than most of the bowlers. He did have a big, spitting off break which was bordering on chucking. To his credit, never bowled it in any ODIs he has played in.
Really? I didn't know that. very interesting and good move by our board to get in before the jealous haters...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
And if you believe that, I've got some magic beans that might interest you.

_Ed_

Thought it was the season of sour grapes and whinging
I don't think that's fair. Very little of the comment I've seen on his action has come from NZ posters. In fact, can you provide any examples at all?

And you can't blame us for being disappointed in our team after 60 all out. 60.

Last edited:

Adders

I don't think that's fair. Very little of the comment I've seen on his action has come from NZ posters. In fact, can you provide any examples at all?
Not that I wish to jump into any corner with Migara...........but what about the post he was quoting??

_Ed_

Can you blame anyone for reacting that way, though? Excluding Williamson, our entire team mustered 18 runs between them. Regardless of how well the opposition has bowled (absolutely brilliantly), that's appalling. I think any fan around the world would feel let down by their team after that.

_Ed_

Oh, I just took that as meaning KN would switch to following Major League baseball instead, which I know he watches. Didn't make that connection - apologies.

Adders

Hey no need to apologise and that might well be what KN meant.

Nothing like a hint of bent elbow to fire up cricket fans on both sides of the fence eh:dry:

MW1304

The catch was six years ago mate.
Just seen this reading through. Original comment was a reference to AB's (apparently serious) 'music' career, which is almost Brett Lee-like in its gag-inducement. Reason why he drew my disdain in the first place was for some article where he claimed his sickly cryfest was rooted in some genuine love for music. If he loved music he never would have released that monstrosity, stick to being the world's best batsman mate (which thankfully he has).

Maximas

And if you believe that, I've got some magic beans that might interest you.
I thought we had already established in the chucking thread that test results were a more reliable source than the personal opinions of people watching at home, unless you're saying he is in fact bowling that so-called 'big spinning' off break in ODIs despite it being close to a chuck, well, tbh, I don't think I've ever seen sachi turn the ball very far.

Sean Flynn

re England v Netherlands

Amazing really. A seemingly ragbag, disparate and desperate mix of Aussie and South African mercenaries, with somewhat uncertain futures, went and lost to The Netherlands.

Hurricane

re England v Netherlands

Amazing really. A seemingly ragbag, disparate and desperate mix of Aussie and South African mercenaries, with somewhat uncertain futures, went and lost to The Netherlands.
the start of your sentence sounded like the opening to Battle Star Galactica.