• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - India, England, Australia, West Indies

tooextracool

social said:
Assuming people are fit (excluding Jones because I've got doubts that he'll ever be the same)
By same you mean as poor as he was when he last played ODI cricket?

social said:
Cook - just what exactly has he done wrong?
How about an inability to score runs in List A cricket as well as barely any experience in that form of the game? He doesnt have the range of strokes to succeed in ODI cricket IMO and his whole test career is fixed around his temperament.

tooextracool

Tomm NCCC said:
I can see great improvement from Saj in his bowling. Im gonna get caned for this, I know, but he'll be Englands leading wicket-taker in the VB Series, £10 on it.

Anyone willing to take up the bet?
He may very well be the leading wicket taker but im willing to bet that he'll have the worst ER as well as the worst average.

tooextracool

FaaipDeOiad said:
Taylor was far worse than Bravo IMO. Bravo bowled a couple of length balls once the game was already lost and got hit for boundaries, while Taylor bowled a whole over of crap when it was still looking tough for England.
Do people actually rate Taylor? Fair enough he has a bit of pace on him and has age on his side but other than that he looks like quite an ordinary bowler, certainly nothing more than a Jermaine Lawson in my book.

social

India had every opportunity in that match and were beaten by a combination of poor bowling and wonderful batting at the top of the Oz order.

The fact that bowlers were still swinging, seaming and spinning the ball a lot right throughtout the Australian innings just goes to show the opporunity that was wasted.

Without taking too much credit away from a guy like Watson, who showed people glimpses of his outstanding talent with the bat, Pathan, Munaf and Sreesanth early were woeful and the game was largely over after 15 overs.

Anyway, if it aids Oz in future, I'll continue to back against them.

social

tooextracool said:
By same you mean as poor as he was when he last played ODI cricket?

How about an inability to score runs in List A cricket as well as barely any experience in that form of the game? He doesnt have the range of strokes to succeed in ODI cricket IMO and his whole test career is fixed around his temperament.
Jones has got the talent to do well in any form of cricket.

For mine, his failure in ODIs is symptomatic of England's whole approach to this form of the game. It's illogical to suggest that guys like he and Hoggard, whilst good test bowlers, can't be successful in ODIs. Either batsmen pay them far too much respect in test cricket or the bowlers are not giving enough thought as to their tactics in ODIs.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Jones fit enough to test that theory.

As for Cook, he's done OK in a couple of ODI performances and he needs to be given an extended run in this form of the game. After all, his inclusion could hardly be seen as tampering with a winning lineup and, whatever his weaknesses are, lack of hunger for big scores is not amongst them and that is something that is sorely missing from the Eng ODI lineup.l

tooextracool

social said:
Jones has got the talent to do well in any form of cricket.

For mine, his failure in ODIs is symptomatic of England's whole approach to this form of the game. It's illogical to suggest that guys like he and Hoggard, whilst good test bowlers, can't be successful in ODIs. Either batsmen pay them far too much respect in test cricket or the bowlers are not giving enough thought as to their tactics in ODIs.

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see Jones fit enough to test that theory.
You seem to be following the Duncan Fletcher school of selection. What is the point of picking a player who has absolutely no limited overs experience? If you pick players based solely on how good you think they might become, you end up with a team like Bresnan, Mahmood and Plunkett all of whom are not ready/good enough to play ODI cricket and they do no one any favors by going at 8 runs an over. Jones may very well be more talented than all of them, but if he is to be given a chance in ODI cricket, hed be better off bowling in 20/20 and list A cricket, proving his worth and then making his way into the side. Unfortunately as you said, it doesnt look very likely that any of the above will happen.
As far as Hoggard is concerned, hes been given enough chances in the ODI side, ODIs are not about pitching the ball up and asking the batsman to drive you. You need to have variations in your bowling, and Hoggard simply does not bowl the right line or have enough variations to be successful in ODIs.

social said:
As for Cook, he's done OK in a couple of ODI performances and he needs to be given an extended run in this form of the game. After all, his inclusion could hardly be seen as tampering with a winning lineup and, whatever his weaknesses are, lack of hunger for big scores is not amongst them and that is something that is sorely missing from the Eng ODI lineup.l
See a lot of people are moaning about Yardy's selection recently because of his poor domestic record. Yet how on earth is Cook supposed to be any different? He has never scored a list A century, hes only played 2 20/20 games yet hes supposed to be good enough to play for the England ODI side? At least Yardy has been scoring runs and taking wickets in 20/20 cricket. Yes Cook can score big runs but guess what, so could Michael Vaughan and Nasser Hussain and we all know how those 2 turned out. I think we're better off picking solid domestic players like Ramprakash and Hick over Cook to be honest.

social

tooextracool said:
You seem to be following the Duncan Fletcher school of selection. What is the point of picking a player who has absolutely no limited overs experience? If you pick players based solely on how good you think they might become, you end up with a team like Bresnan, Mahmood and Plunkett all of whom are not ready/good enough to play ODI cricket and they do no one any favors by going at 8 runs an over. Jones may very well be more talented than all of them, but if he is to be given a chance in ODI cricket, hed be better off bowling in 20/20 and list A cricket, proving his worth and then making his way into the side. Unfortunately as you said, it doesnt look very likely that any of the above will happen.
As far as Hoggard is concerned, hes been given enough chances in the ODI side, ODIs are not about pitching the ball up and asking the batsman to drive you. You need to have variations in your bowling, and Hoggard simply does not bowl the right line or have enough variations to be successful in ODIs.

See a lot of people are moaning about Yardy's selection recently because of his poor domestic record. Yet how on earth is Cook supposed to be any different? He has never scored a list A century, hes only played 2 20/20 games yet hes supposed to be good enough to play for the England ODI side? At least Yardy has been scoring runs and taking wickets in 20/20 cricket. Yes Cook can score big runs but guess what, so could Michael Vaughan and Nasser Hussain and we all know how those 2 turned out. I think we're better off picking solid domestic players like Ramprakash and Hick over Cook to be honest.
BIG difference between what I'm advocating and what the English selectors are doing.

Hoggard, Jones and, to a lesser extent, Cook are all proven test cricketers that are all still improving (at least Jones was until his injury). Importantly, they have the basics right and can therefore be relied upon to perform consistently in any form of cricket.

Whilst I'm not Hoggard's biggest fan, there is no denying his recent successes at test level and to suggest that he cant perform adequately in ODIs is nonsense

Unfortunately, Mahmood, Yardy etc had never had success at ANY reasonable level of cricket. Introduce promising players selectively from time to time by all means but putting them all in the team at one time with virtually no experienced back-up was doomed for failure.

As for experience in domestic comps, so what really? There is a massive difference between A-list and ODIs, let alone test cricket. The fact is that Eng has rarely produced a decent ODI team despite playing more domestic short format cricket than anywhere else in the world. Based on that stat alone, they should completely ignore the performances in these comps anyway.

Blind freddy could see that Yardy wasnt up to it no matter how successful he'd been at lower levels.

Likewise, the same guy could tell that Lewis was a better bet at this stage than Plunkett etc because he has all the prerequisite fundamentals.

Eng have rolled the dice with a plethora of selections based on hope and irrelevant experience and come up empty.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

tooextracool said:
Do people actually rate Taylor? Fair enough he has a bit of pace on him and has age on his side but other than that he looks like quite an ordinary bowler, certainly nothing more than a Jermaine Lawson in my book.
Not yet. He could become quite good though, and he's certainly the best option the West Indies have.

Dravid

Turbinator said:
So is Mohd Sami! The thing is we have a lower ratio of meat eaters than most of the other countries like England, Australia, Pakistan. In other words, these other countries get to choose from a wide variety of meat eaters compared to us. :laugh:
RP Singh is a meat eater I believe

Perm

Good win last night for Australia, they really accelerated in those first 10 overs and from there they never really looked like losing to be honest. Couple of things I made notes on and thought I'd share with you guys.

The Indian pace bowlers looked pretty ordinary, they weren't bowling with much pace and they were generally bowling fairly short which was easy pickings, when they did get it full quite often they troubled the Australian batsmen. Gilchrist and Watson really set a good platform so that Ponting and Martyn could close out the game, it's good to see Ponting back in the runs and I really enjoyed watching Martyn bat, he's such a classy and elegant player it's a shame that he probably won't be remembered too well in the future.

For the Indian's I thought that Sewhag, Dravid and Kaif batted pretty well and Dhoni added some impetous to the end of the innings but not enough to make too much of a difference. Raina looked pretty much out of his depth but Mongia played well. McGrath was exceptional at the start and tied down Tendulkar beautifully, Lee come back quite well after his intial 3 overs cost 27 runs his remaining 7 cost the same. An early prediction for the World Cup, I don't think Hogg will play much of a role really, not with Symonds and Clarke both being handy spinners I think that Australia will want to go in with 4 frontline seamers and Watson plus the two spinners as back up.

honestbharani

Man, India look like a blue chip midrung team now, don't they?

The bowling is always patchy, the batting even more so. Without Yuvraj, we look seriously short of quality in the middle order, assuming Dravid bats one drop. Ideally, Kaif should bat at 3 IF he has to be in the side, for I see no better place for him in the line up. And him in the crucial late middle overs always means pressure on the other batter. Raina is so much out of sorts that it looks like a joke to keep him in the side. RP Singh never appealed to me as anything special and he seems to be proving it these days. Sreesanth has a bit about him but without support he just doesn't look the same. Patel looked wayward but the thing that is worrying me about him is the fact that he is not even through his first season yet in international cricket and yet he is already talking about cutting his pace down and "putting" the ball in the right areas. Ian Chappell made the point on commentary yesterday that when you are just "putting" the ball in instead of bowling it with a real follow through, you dont get as much out of the wicket. And he did look easier to hit because of that, didn't he?

Time for some major overhauls to the side, I reckon.

honestbharani

BTW, how disappointing was it to see Bravo claim that catch? I always felt Windies were the most sporting team in these issues and now even their guys are doing this. Felt so sad. :(

R_D

I think Martyn's ODI career was saved by a certain Mr buncknor yestrday.
He was twice out lbw but got away with it.
Even if he was given out i doubt India would've been able to do much anyway as the match was lost in first 15 overs. The seamers kept bowling short ball one after another.
Watson looked really good yesterday tho, starting to become a top batsman. With the way he crammed up yesterday wonder if the workload is too much on him, Openign and bowling as well.. thats what the commentators were on about as well.

Batters let the team down a bit by not scoring more than just 250 runs and bowlers just well the less we say about them the better.

Johnners

Clapo said:
Wouldn't be suprised to see McGrath pull out something special either, as he has done the last few times the Likes of Thommo, Chappeli and all others who wished they were anywhere near as good as the might pigeon, have said his time is up.
:cool:

Top stuff from the mighty pigeon. Once he's responded to claims taht he's "past it" with a near impeccable performance, shoving right up Thommo & Chappeli.

I found this article quite telling.

Also, something that has come to my attention (can't remember if it was on here, or Cric-Info). Is Rahul Dravid effective in the ODI version of the game? His conversion rate of just 12 Centuries, to 72 Half Centuries from a player who predominatly bats @ positions 3 & 4 imo is poor from a player of his class.

Does his seeming inability to go on with it after making these starts harm India in anyway? Afterall, as we saw last night, a set batsmen losing his wicket between the overs 35-42 can make a huge impact on the teams total score.

Dravid

Clapo said:
:cool:

Top stuff from the mighty pigeon. Once he's responded to claims taht he's "past it" with a near impeccable performance, shoving right up Thommo & Chappeli.

I found this article quite telling.

Also, something that has come to my attention (can't remember if it was on here, or Cric-Info). Is Rahul Dravid effective in the ODI version of the game? His conversion rate of just 12 Centuries, to 72 Half Centuries from a player who predominatly bats @ positions 3 & 4 imo is poor from a player of his class.

Does his seeming inability to go on with it after making these starts harm India in anyway? Afterall, as we saw last night, a set batsmen losing his wicket between the overs 35-42 can make a huge impact on the teams total score.
Main reason Dravid doesn't convert those 50's into 100's is because he gets too lazy.