• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group D: Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Gerrard will be fine for the season ahead as long as they sign an adequate backup and don't try and use him every game

Ikki

Chiellini:

“Now inside me there’s no feelings of joy, revenge or anger against Suarez for an incident that happened on the pitch and that’s done,” Chiellini stated on his official website. “There only remain the anger and the disappointment about the match. “At the moment my only thought is for Luis and his family, because they will face a very difficult period. “I have always considered unequivocal the disciplinary interventions by the competent bodies, but at the same time I believe that the proposed formula is excessive. “I sincerely hope that he will be allowed, at least, to stay close to his team mates during the games because such a ban is really alienating for a player.”
The length of the ban aside, the fact that he can't even train or be close to his teammates is too far IMO. It will undoubtedly cause even more resentment to this sanction and that's hardly what you want if you want to help rehabilitate someone.

Last edited:

Ikki

Gerrard will be fine for the season ahead as long as they sign an adequate backup and don't try and use him every game
Gerrard basically was on a-game-a-week last season and I think the only games they'll possibly make it two-a-week will be for the CL. I don't expect him to feature much in the cup competitions.

social

Chiellini:

The length of the ban aside, the fact that he can't even train or be close to his teammates is too far IMO. It will undoubtedly cause even more resentment to this sanction and that's hardly what you want if you want to help rehabilitate someone.
My thoughts exactly

I really don't see what FIFA is trying to achieve with this aspect of his punishment

It is also grossly unfair that LFC are obligated to pay him 3 million quid whilst he is suspended

Ikki

Heh, I take it you're done with this World Cup Ikki?
Haha, nah man, I live for the WC. I basically wake up at midnight, watch all the games, go to work, come home, sleep, wake up and do it all over again. It's a tough month.

Uppercut

Reports coming out that Barca still want him, but are requesting an "anti-biting clause" in his contract :laugh:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Surely it would be suspension without pay? I actually agree that it's grossly unfair on Liverpool if they still have to pay him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Surely it would be suspension without pay? I actually agree that it's grossly unfair on Liverpool if they still have to pay him.
I suspect this will be Liverpool's call. I very much doubt FIFA are entitled to dictate that a ban must be without pay. They can issue fines and so on, but they can't stipulate that "Liverpool must not pay him any money" as that'd likely amount to a restraint of trade and be unlawful.

In any event, if Suarez has a shred of integrity he'll voluntarily waive his wages until his ban is up.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I suspect this will be Liverpool's call. I very much doubt FIFA are entitled to dictate that a ban must be without pay. They can issue fines and so on, but they can't stipulate that "Liverpool must not pay him any money" as that'd likely amount to a restraint of trade and be unlawful.
Makes sense.

In any event, if Suarez has a shred of integrity he'll voluntarily waive his wages until his ban is up.
Given how he got his ban in the first place that's a pretty huge if.

duffer

Haha, nah man, I live for the WC. I basically wake up at midnight, watch all the games, go to work, come home, sleep, wake up and do it all over again. It's a tough month.
Who did you support when Iran played Australia in that WC playoff?

Ikki

Who did you support when Iran played Australia in that WC playoff?
What a game that was. I supported Iran at the time but it's one tie where regardless I'm happy for the winner and sad for the loser. And yeh, Iran pulled it out the ass in that playoff, Australia should have scored like 4 in each half in the 2nd leg.

You sleep? Soft.
Getting old ay. Gonna be brutal waking up for those CL games next season.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Liverpool backed him to the hilt the last time he fancied a munch of a defender's shoulder, so one might argue that they bear a bit of responsibility.

Liverpool could always get out of paying him by sacking him for gross misconduct. There's about 50 million reasons why I don't see that happening.

Uppercut

Yeah wtf, as if it's even slightly unfair. They only even got him so cheap because no one else wanted to take a risk on someone so obviously bat**** crazy.