• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has Ponting got the team he wants ?

Midwinter

Have read today of problems between Hauritz and Ponting, so is this team for the first test the team Ricky wants ?

Is there anyone he wants who is not in the team ?

(BTW this is the same team as the 2009 ashes team if you swap Hauritz for Doherty)

Last edited:

Bloody Hell

Like the selectors and the rest of Australia - I'm not sure he knows what he wants.

ATM there are lots of pieces to choose from, but which are the right bits?

The selectors could pick the exact team I think is the best (which would require 5 changes from the last 12), but since alot are untried, after the next test all could be upside down.

I recall Border saying he didn't want to see Australia go through what he went through in terms of losing experience.

But like the Brisbane Lions 00-04 they held onto the greats for continued dominace - now we are seeing the backlash.

IMO the best solution is to bite the bullet and implement a youth policy.

Howe_zat

The age of the Aussie team is pretty alarming when you think about it. The youngest man is the side is Siddle at 26, and most were advocating playing the older Bollinger instead. And it's not like this is a side that's been together long, most of the players having come in over the last two years.

Howe_zat

I have heard that Ponting really likes having North in the side for his help with captaincy decisions. Not sure how true that is.

Blocky

Banned
I have heard that Ponting really likes having North in the side for his help with captaincy decisions. Not sure how true that is.
North, frustratingly, offers so much in the field and with the ball that if he could turn it around and find the consistency that is missing with the bat, he represents a very handy, if not great cricketer to have in the side.

He can't, and unfortunately that means Ponting constantly worries about 4,5,6 where in the past, all of Australia's run scoring was done (Martyn, MWaugh,SWaugh,Ponting, Border)

The hope is that Hussey turned the corner and now represents a stable #5, but in my view, Clarke will always be a guy who has occasional purple patches to supplement his average but is poor in 60% of the games he plays.

outbreak

I rekon we need Clarke to drop to 5 and we need a stable number 4 and number 6 so it's not a big deal if clarke has a bad patch.

Spark

Global Moderator
The hope is that Hussey turned the corner and now represents a stable #5, but in my view, Clarke will always be a guy who has occasional purple patches to supplement his average but is poor in 60% of the games he plays.
Not correct IMO.

Shri

At what age did bowlers like Merv Hughes, Craig McDermott etc debut for Australia?