• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have lost quite a bit of respect for the ever so classy Sangakarra.

PhoenixFire

Yeah, I don't particularly like Smith, but he came across as being very gracious and respectful in regards to the semi-final defeat, even when some ****wit commentator asked about the whole choking label they have.

R_D

Haha, just on the Graeme Smith point, it was in Smith's interest to say Pakistan outplayed them, as the only other possibility was that SA choked.
:laugh:

Must admit he has come across less of a sore loser and more gracious in defeats lately.

funnygirl

That's the reason, Xuhaib. The guy earlier refused to lead his team when they needed him most, just because some peon happened to make him wait at the PCB office. This time, Pakistan get off to a disastrous start in the tournament, and rather than accept blame, he sought to distance himself from it by claiming it was a joke tournament (or something to that effect). Then they win the whole thing and he engages in all this grandstanding by likening himself to Imran, which means he's either an opportunistic glory hunter or he's downplaying Imran's triumph by comparing the 92 WC win to a win at what he himself referred to as a joke format. This entire retirement drama is so cringeworthy. You can only retire from something you've been at for a sufficient period of time. Leading your team for just one T20 tournament is at best what is referred to in working circles as a locum job, and you don't 'retire' from locum jobs.
Yes he was going in circles. Basically taking cautious steps.In case Pakistan couldn't make it,it was a joke format anyway .Now that they won it,he beacame an Imran Khan .He is the best captain Pakistan has right now,but always keeps the resignation threat in case things didn't go in his way.

yes mohammad16, dat thought came2my mind also. his tone wz really changd like nevr b4.
but i let it go. cz i think there were many reasons4dat. 1stly his main player Dilshan, who wz gr8 success story4whole tournament, failed at da biggest occasion. this thing really hurts. also mendis,who was lethal throughout, lookd quite ordinary against pakis, went4his worst spell in da final
2ndly even aftr their debacle, they managed2get2 138 wich looked a very competitiv total in this world cup and especially against pakistan. but they still lost with 8 balls2spare nd 8 wickets
3rdly som of his decisions went wrong. eg giving ball to Malinga in the middle of the innings, where pakis were nt really pacing. so any other bowler could v suited at dat stage nd Malinga's overs should v been savd 4 da crunch situation at da end

so kumar wz really very frustrated, i wz feeling4him. i agree, he will com up wid a congratulating article 4 pakis to nullify his post match interview dat wz so due to frustration of mind.
Sangakara nd da whole Srilankan team is still my favourite due to their humble attitude, chin up nd dnt feel bad of them coz dats only da 1st time:):)

Last edited:
That's the reason, Xuhaib. The guy earlier refused to lead his team when they needed him most, just because some peon happened to make him wait at the PCB office. This time, Pakistan get off to a disastrous start in the tournament, and rather than accept blame, he sought to distance himself from it by claiming it was a joke tournament (or something to that effect). Then they win the whole thing and he engages in all this grandstanding by likening himself to Imran, which means he's either an opportunistic glory hunter or he's downplaying Imran's triumph by comparing the 92 WC win to a win at what he himself referred to as a joke format. This entire retirement drama is so cringeworthy. You can only retire from something you've been at for a sufficient period of time. Leading your team for just one T20 tournament is at best what is referred to in working circles as a locum job, and you don't 'retire' from locum jobs.
well younis didnt acceptd captaincy ahead of t20 WC coz he was, according2him, not suited 4 dat. he also accepted, even, dat he iz nt suited4 t20 cricket bt he had 2 accept as there were no other options. nd due to his hardwork wid guys wen he wz able 2 win da world cup 4 his country, even at dat moment, he gav all da credit 2 his guys nd accepted he iz nt suited 4 t20 format. wich he declared da reason 4 his retirement. in a pakistani private sports channel(geo-super) he clearly told dat he cant even think of comparing himself to imran khan(hundreds of thousands of younis's fans didnt want 2 hear this), nd he iz retiring just bcoz he want 2 giv a chance 2 a more deserving afridi. "afridi was nt an option b4 t20 WC but now he has provd 2 be" he added.

nd his much criticizd statement declaring t20 as fun cricket wz just 2 release pressure 4m his young guys who were desparately looking 4 a WC(as a gift 2 their nation) but lost quite heavily in very 1st game

Younis is a gr8 captain atleast in t20. he knows how to win a worldcup without main players like M Asif, Akhtar, Nazir. etc. he knows how to convert a losing sequence to a winning sequence. he knows how to change batting style for this format. his SR in this WC is some where near 150

Didnt u see Pakistani team 1st time ever playing according 2 a plan

Last edited:
This time, Pakistan get off to a disastrous start in the tournament, and rather than accept blame, he sought to distance himself from it by claiming it was a joke tournament (or something to that effect).
hahaha dear mate he also said dat he didnt give much importance2t20 format. I wonder what will happen if he starts giving importance hahaha.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

His team has lost 2 big Finals in 2 years so he must be hurting, usually he carries himself with a lot of class so I would not read too much in to it.

He was not the Captain at that time.

Now his first test came as a captain he clearly holds a grudge against Pakistan not for cricketing reasons but for his ethnic background as a Tamil and the fact that Pak Military helped SL Military crush the Tamil Tigers.

But yes he is entitled to his opinion and his feelings obviously.

One of the classiest lefty i have seen after Saeed Anwar and Gilly.....

Faisal1985

I got that feeling as well. But at the same time i think he was trying to lower the expectations of Pakistani people as well. So that any heavy knock out from the tournament would not hurt as much. That is the reason Pakistanis were flattered by the fact that we reached Semis..

Moreover, the guy can make his point much clearer in Urdu. His English is not good.

lionheart

He was not the Captain at that time.

Now his first test came as a captain he clearly holds a grudge against Pakistan not for cricketing reasons but for his ethnic background as a Tamil and the fact that Pak Military helped SL Military crush the Tamil Tigers.

But yes he is entitled to his opinion and his feelings obviously.
LOL WTF? Sanga isn't Tamil.