• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how would a full strength Zimbabwe side go in world cup?

how would a full strenght Zimbawe team go in 2007 world cup?

• semi finals or better

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • super 8

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • better than they did, but not enought to make super 8

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • no better

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Goughy

Dale Steyn is a stretch given he was born and raised in South Africa. Im also not convinced about his family coming from Zim. He is born just on the SA side of the Zim border but I seem to recall from the deepest recesses of my mind (I could be mistaken) that the Zim connection was a misconception based purely on his inability to speak Afrikaans.

However if you want a real "blue chipper" to add to the list how about Dale Benkenstein?

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dale Steyn is a stretch given he was born and raised in South Africa.

However if you want a real "blue chipper" to add to the list how about Dale Benkenstein?
Yeah, Steyn and even Hick are definitely stretching it, but it's basically a list of everyone who could have, theoretically, played for Zimbabwe. I highly doubt Steyn would have, regardless of politics and poor board decisions, but players like Chouhan, Brant and Harris just might have.

I actually had no idea that Benkenstein was still playing - good find.

Goughy

Chouhan still can. He was approached before the WC about becoming involved and is thinking it over.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Chouhan still can. He was approached before the WC about becoming involved and is thinking it over.
Interesting. I thought that if he didn't play in the WC, the chance of him touring around playing meaningless games against Bangladesh and Kenya whilst getting paid virtually nothing was pretty low.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dale Steyn is a stretch given he was born and raised in South Africa. Im also not convinced about his family coming from Zim. He is born just on the SA side of the Zim border but I seem to recall from the deepest recesses of my mind (I could be mistaken) that the Zim connection was a misconception based purely on his inability to speak Afrikaans.
He has claimed his folks were "British Rhodesians" himself. Linky.

Steyn has an interesting admission that belies his surname, and is sure to make readers of Die Beeld wince - he speaks no Afrikaans. "I do try ..." he insists, but explains that his parents were British Rhodesians and so there was never any cause to take up the language. Already, however, his ignorance has stood him in good stead at the crease. Faced with a gutful of vitriol from Nantie Hayward, his fiery forebear in the South African team, Steyn could do nothing but shrug: "I couldn't understand what he was on about!"

Chubb

I think almost all Rhodies were British- the Afrikaners didn't get on with Cecil Rhodes at all. Some of the guys who have Afrikaner-sounding names, like Blignaut and Vermeulen, are actually "properly" Dutch rather than Afrikaners.

This world cup would probably have been Andy Flower's last time in international cricket, I'm 98% certain he would like to have retired after this tournament if things hadn't gone downhill so fast in Zim. Other guys probably would have gone sooner due to injury etc. The fact is about fifteen or so players mentioned would constitute a good international side, but ultimately I think debate about this is a bit pointless and will just go round in circles.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A great loss really. Zimbabwe cricket was shaping up well back in the day. A small player base didn't stop New Zealand from becoming a top 8 cricket nation.

Chase

Banned
Updated list including Steyn and Harris:

Couldn't find Harris before, because I was looking for him in the South African stats and he plays in England. Born in Zimbabwe, plays his cricket in England, then represents South Africa..
My team::unsure:

1. Vusi Sibanda (now playing in Australia)
2. Ryan Waston (a scot)
3. Andy Flower (playing for Essex in England)
4. Dale Benkenstein (playing for Durham in England)
5. Graheme Hick (playing with Worcestershire for ages)/Murray Goodwin (playing for Sussex for ages)
6. Grant Flower (same as his brother)
7. T. Taibu (?)
8. Sean Ervine (playing for Hampshire in England)
9. Heath Streak (playing for Warwickshire in England)
10. Andy Blignaut (?)
11. Paul Harris (same as Streak)

Apologies to Ray Price and Dale Steyn and even Scott Brant and Graheme Lamb...

Last edited:

Chase

Banned

2. Ryan Waston (a scot)
5. Graheme Hick (playing with Worcestershire for ages)/Murray Goodwin (playing for Sussex for ages)
7. T. Taibu (?)
10. Andy Blignaut (?)

No current Zimbabweans in the squad shows they're rubbish

Chase

Banned

2. Ryan Waston (a scot)
7. T. Taibu (?)
10. Andy Blignaut (?)

Plus Stuart Carisle and any current Zimbo who may be worth his place, although there may only be a couple, if that.